3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Lets see your 2006 in Review.  (Read 5273 times)

Offline fireman_3311

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Lets see your 2006 in Review.
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2007, 04:11:00 PM »
Started the year, with a heart attack, on March 1....then 10 days later, coded, and had to be shocked twice...it worked!!! I've since retired from the Fire Service, after 13 yrs. As soon as the Dr. would let me...OK, a couple weeks early, I started gettin ready for some 3D shoots, and did some bowfishin

Hit SEVERAL 3D's all summer, even won a few trophies! Got married, Aug 5, in North Central Colorado, Big Creek Lake...

We also lost my dad, on that trip, on Aug 8th....Dad didn't hunt, but he loved to hear my stories...he did spend 2 trips with me in Iowa, he'd have a pot of stew or the charcoal goin for a steak, while I was out sittin in a tree...He was always the first person I'd call when I killed somethin...I missed makin that call this fall....Here's to you Dad!!!:cheers:  Dad's in da hat!!!

Then, when Sept 15 FINALLY got here....I commenced to killin some deer!!! Opening day...Mo. doe

bout 8 days later...another Mo doe

October 7...another Mo doe

I drew an Iowa bowtag, spent the 2nd and 4th weeks of Oct up there, saw tons of deer, but no shots. Went back up Thanksgiving weekend, and got this ole broken antlered bruiser!!! Nov 25, Iowa buck!!!

Then, went back to Iowa, Jan 2, to fill my antlerless permit, and got lucky one mo time!!!

Official Measurer for Boone and Crockett, Pope and Young, Compton's, Longhunters, and both Mo books.  Have tape, will travel!!!

Offline Missouri Sherpa

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2007, 04:22:00 PM »
I had a good year for 2006.  In May I went to Idaho and took my second blonde phase black bear, small female but I guess I am a sucker for blondes.  I had a dandy elk hunt in September and tagged a good 6x6 bull.  I hunted Iowa for whitetails in November.  I helped a good friend of mine get his first archery whitetail buck and tagged a decent 10 point buck of my own.  No way to post pictures from here at work but pics are here on previous threads.

2007 will be busy for me this year as well.  I have put down my deposit for a tresspass fee to a 35,000 acre Wyoming ranch for an August antelope hunt.  Come September I have a couple of elk hunting trips planned to the Weminuche in Colorado and hopefully to the Thorofare in Wyoming if everything works out.  I have been working my horses 2-3 times a week getting them and me in shape already.  Of course I plan on spending a couple weeks hunting whitetails in Iowa and also North Missouri if I get lucky and fill my Iowa tags.  I would surely like to squeeze in a bear,hog or exotic hunt this spring with some you but I have other committments and have much to do to get ready for my pack trips this year.  Maybe next year I will be better prepared.

Offline Brutus Hedgeapple

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2007, 05:21:00 PM »
Started early season with my first trad kill from the ground. Zipper recurve.

Into october and my first trad buck with my 43# Crooked Stic longbow, Butter.

And then in late october this doe with my 1 piece Crooked Stic LB.

And capped off my year with this Christmas bow, another Crooked Stic, for my wife who litterally flipped over it.

Took 3 shots with 3 different bow and arrow set-ups and took home 3 deer. Missed several squirrels though  :knothead:

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2007, 06:05:00 PM »
Got my Buff mount back in Jan.

St Judes Hog Hunt.....with Fred Gimble and Jeff Berberick.  What a fun time we had chasing hogs, and filling our bellies with Buffalo, and The Catfish House.  These two guys are hard hunting fellows let me tell ya.

Dawn of TX Sweat.

Javie #1

Javie #2

Mod Melt Memories.....

Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2007, 06:05:00 PM »
Hunting with Ray Hammond....

Hog #1

Hog #2

Hog #3

Hunting with Vance and Charlie.....

Just try and imagine hunting antelope in this open environment.....

Sometimes it works........

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2007, 06:05:00 PM »
St Judes Paradise Deer/Hog hunt.  I was so busy with these guys that I didn't take any pics.  This was the most 'woulda shoulda coulda' and 'if I'd only done this, or if I'd only done that' hunt I've ever been on.  Soooo many close calls for everyone there with over 90 deer seen.  Rob DiStefano, Charlie Lamb, Joe Coots, Bob Walker, Woody Blackwell and I.....and special appearances by Danny Williams and Matt Schuster.  This was a real treasure of a hunt....Charlie and I are going to offer this hunt again this year.

And to finish off the year, I got these two on my birthday.....

Offline Arwin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2007, 06:19:00 PM »
I had a great season taking three doe. I had a few encounters with good bucks but couldn't connect. The biggest acheivment was watching my 10 yr old daughter take her first deer ever with a bow. She was using a compound shot instinctivly. She hit the doe's heart at 20 yds.!!!
Just one more step please!

Some dude with a stick and string chasing things.

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2007, 06:41:00 PM »
There's a lot of tough acts to follow here. But here i go. This was my first trad year, i bought a used long bow in august. I started shooting like crazy every day but still figured i would wait till the next season to hunt with it. I joined Trad Gang and began to pick up a lot of good info from the people here. I soon began to shoot better and gain confidence in my equipment, somewhere along the way my ten year old son became really interested in hunting and using trad gear. We went stump shooting together had a blast with that. I felt confident enough to hunt big and small game with my longbow, so i hung up the compound and took to the woods. I had the most exciting bow season in over 20 years i had some misses and lost some animals that part makes me angry with myself. But i did end up with three deer and for the first time had some close encounters on the ground, i thought that would be the coolest way to get a deer. Maybe next season it will happen for me. I ended up selling my martin and buying a Howard Hill bow i cut back on the poundage a little and seem to shoot that bow better, i liked it so much i ordered a spare of the same poundage 48# @28". Here are a few photos of my traditional journey of 2006.          
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2007, 10:09:00 PM »
Geez, not much killin here. Had a great year and many memories made. Several Sambar hunts but no meat on the table. a Few pig hunts and did finally put some meat on the table in Oct.

Then went on my annual Texas hunt in Nov and Dec. Hunted hard, did not have any shots at whitetail. Had a huge Axis at 12 yards and he was gone before I could finish my draw,stalked some rams and had a sika doe jump up in my face,course from the noise of me falling over backwards and the sika barking the rams took off. But I did get my Bison.

Danny
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline LUCKY MAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2007, 10:51:00 PM »
Good Stuff !
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way
you cope with it is what makes the difference."

Offline flntknp17

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2007, 11:01:00 PM »
Had an interesting year........

...and getting ready to ENJOY the fruits of the labor.....

Found some leftovers from previous hunters......

Saddest part of the year......my wife's adopted father and a hunting partner of mine always told us that when he died he wanted to be reborn as a blade of grass high in the San Jaun Range so that he might provide nourishment for a bull elk and live the most free and pure life possible.  Well, he passed unexpectedly and we honored him be giving him his wish.  Next spring his ashes will feed the elk.  We spread them on a BEAUTIFUL bench above a tarn at about 13,300 ft this August.

Our tent near his resting place.......wish we could all be so lucky to spend eternity in a place like this.

One of the points I make done did a good job!

Some of the boys that hang out here......the big 8 pt with the drop tine got raod killed.....he grossed 180" as an eight.....BIG EIGHT.  I took this pic in early Sept....there were nine bucks in the field that night that were 130 or better.

My bow buck the day before shotgun season......cool drop tine and big body.

I know this is a trad bow forum, but shotgun hunting is a way of life for lots of folks here.....I had never done it before and one of my best friends from college asked if I wanted to try it out........I did.......and I learned more about why I love bowhunting in one weekend than in 15 years of bowhunting only!

Matt

Offline fireman_3311

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2007, 01:35:00 AM »
Matt...good stuff, especially the San Juans...I lost my Dad this past august...in the mountains!!!
Official Measurer for Boone and Crockett, Pope and Young, Compton's, Longhunters, and both Mo books.  Have tape, will travel!!!

Offline Osagetree

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2007, 07:59:00 AM »
Made all me own hunting gear, rivercane arrows, cattail quiver, arm guard, string silencers, 3 finger shooting glove, osage selfbow and flemish string, string keeper, trade points and some flint heads were sent to me by Knife River for my hunts.

Some osage logs found and cut,,, and a new lab puppy

My first shot on a deer using a flint tipped arrow was a good hit but due to a freak hail storm and high winds I managed to loose the trail and did not recover the deer.

Then a couple easy misses,,, this happens now and then.....

Found some good buck sign

More long days in the stand

>>--TGMM--> Family of the Bow

Offline Osagetree

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2007, 08:00:00 AM »
Then I connected with flint

Exciting blood trailing of the deer I connected with. Herre he is standing in a haul road with my arrow in him

Recovery of the buck after backing off to let it expire

Hero pics

Offline Osagetree

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2007, 08:06:00 AM »
Set my sites on spring turkeys and started making my own gear for the upcoming turkey season
Box calls

Wingbone yelpers
 Owl hooters

Offline Osagetree

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2007, 09:12:00 AM »
yleecoyote23,

Sure was nice to see MR. CLEAN is still out on the hunt in 2006! I'll never forget my hunts with that bow.

Don't see the maker on here anymore,,, what's up with Stan?

Offline flightmedic

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2007, 10:04:00 AM »
awesome pics guys keep them coming
Toelke ( Troll)

Striker bow (stinger)

Compton Member
PBS MEMBER
"In the wind he is still alive Fred Bear "

Offline Pinecone

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2007, 10:16:00 AM »
Well...my year was simply blessed...

I started off with a hunt to BC for moose and Mt. Goats.  Since this is a trad bowhunting forum and that was a rifle hunt, I won't post the pics, but I was very lucky to take both animals.
In September, the Trad hunting began in earnest and some of the pics are posted below.  All in all, I managed to arrow five whitetails with five different stickbows.

Here is Rover Gal Hope with her Ky doe.

Late season doe with a Morrison Cougar Longbow.

Full Moon Buck with Horne Ridge Runner TD.

If 2007 is half this good, I'll be tickled pink!

Claudia
Pinecone

Offline oldway

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2007, 11:57:00 AM »
Had another good year,just thank the lord for that.Started out with building a new bow,which turned out very well.

Pics too big....no more that 640 pixels wide please  

Then I put it to work.

My spring Bear.

After the first day of Elk season it was all over,time for Whitetail action.

A few weeks later,SUCCESS!After that it was off
to southern Saskatchewan for a week of Mulie hunting.Some close calls but no luck,dang those mulie's are tough.

Ended the season in late October with my second Whitetail tag.Had a great year,looking forward to doing some indoor shooting at our club this winter and already have another bow on the go.Just think,spring Bear is only three and half months away.All the best to rest of you Tradgangers in 2007,Oldway.

Offline yleecoyote23

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2007, 12:09:00 PM »
Originally posted by Osagetree:
yleecoyote23,

Sure was nice to see MR. CLEAN is still out on the hunt in 2006! I'll never forget my hunts with that bow.

Don't see the maker on here anymore,,, what's up with Stan?
Yep, that is a SWEET shootin' bow Osagetree!!!  Stan has been working alot (last time I heard from him), hopefully he'll slow down enough to check in here with us soon!!  :D  
Hoping to see him and some of the other boys on a hoghunt in South Texas in a couple of months!
In the beautiful Davis Mountains and lovin' every minute - Danny

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©