3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What about Caribou????  (Read 1082 times)

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
What about Caribou????
« on: December 09, 2010, 09:05:00 PM »
I don't remember anyone posting a hunt story about Caribou this season....did I miss one? I would love to hunt them someday.  Share you story or pics....and tell me about some of the best, most scenic, places to hunt them.

Thanks.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline ti-guy

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What about Caribou????
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2010, 09:09:00 PM »
The best I know for that would be Ken Taylor,he's also a guide. I hope he read this.
An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward.So when life is dragging you back with difficulties, it means that it's going to launch you into something great.

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2010, 09:16:00 PM »
I would like to hunt them one day too. I have read so much and heard many stories about how much fun they are.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2010, 09:18:00 PM »
Randy....once we find out....lets BOOK IT!

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

Offline ti-guy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2010, 09:23:00 PM »
I hope you guys can contact Ken,he's a great trad bowhunter.He writes in a hunting fishing magazine here in Quebec and he's also a p&y mesurer.
An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward.So when life is dragging you back with difficulties, it means that it's going to launch you into something great.

Online Ryan Rothhaar

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2010, 09:24:00 PM »
Good luck, guys!  From what I've heard the Que/Lab hunts are poor now due to the population decrease - I think Three Rivers has cancelled their hunts last I heard.  A buddy and I have been beating the bushes for a good hunt in AK, my buddy's son lives in Eagle River so we have a guy on the ground there, and haven't turned up anything real good on the DIY front in AK - same old story, subsistence hunters, wolves etc.  If I had the dough/desire to hunt caribou I'd book a good hunt for Mountain Caribou in BC or the NWT, but those are pretty pricey.  I'll be interested to see what turns up here.

I had a blast out of Schefferville in '94...but that info is a "bit" dated now!

Ryan

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2010, 09:24:00 PM »
Thanks ti

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2010, 09:33:00 PM »
Originally posted by FerretWYO:
I would like to hunt them one day too. I have read so much and heard many stories about how much fun they are.
It's definitely on my bucket list. If y'all find something good, let me in on it too.

See ya later,

Bisch

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2010, 09:34:00 PM »
Look in to wood land Bou, Newfoundland.. You can also do a Bear hunt and I think Moose. I saw/read about the 3 animal pack.. I have to look for it again.. I would love to do it, But got a DUI back in 1998 so I can't get in to Canada.

Offline Joe Subler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2010, 09:36:00 PM »
I'm with Ryan, would love to book a mountain caribou hunt!!

Cheers,
Joe
62" Mohawk  53#@27"

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2010, 09:37:00 PM »
IronBound Outfitters  Here You go... Check them out I have heard good things about them..

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2010, 10:01:00 PM »
The Woodland caribou are about gone.  There are big studies gong on in Newfoundland about this right now. Seems the Quebec outfitters that haven't stolen millions from American hunters are not booking hunts and that population is plummeting.  Have not heard much good on the Central BG hunts in the NWT like McKay Lake in years.  The big DIY herd in AK, the Mulchatna is 10% of what it was.  Not good news for caribou hunters.  Must be global warming...

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2010, 10:07:00 PM »
I went to Quebec in '06 with Tuttulik. 9 trad guys got 13 caribou. It was an awesome time.
After the last couple years, I wouldn't recommend any one go to Quebec. Several hundred or more hunters lost all their money and no hunt from the Tuttulik debacle. Now this year some of the hunts were completely cancelled out of Scheferville. More hunters lost money. Bad situation. Quebec government won't help
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2010, 10:30:00 PM »
it is my understanding the George's river herd in Labrador  and the woodland Caribou in Newfoundland is in a tremendous downward spiral and the Gov't has eliminated all hunting for them except for the indigenous peoples and citizens of the provinces. All guide operations have had their licenses  revoked. Allegedly the herd is less than 20% of what it once was. I hunted last in Labrador in 2005 and NewFoundland in 2004 and we saw next to no Caribou. Actually none at all in Labrador. If I were you I'd look to the NWT to hunt these wonderful beasts
Make a life, not a living

Online chinook907

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2010, 11:08:00 PM »
Well, I don't have much of a story, but heck its December right... Last fall('09) was my first fall with a recurve, and spent a few days up off the Haul Rd for caribou.  Had a great time, saw lots of animals, learned a lot, but couldn't quite connect.  Tough sledding in a lot of it, real open country, heres a couple pics to show you what a lot of it looks like.

and another

And yeah those little dots are caribou.  Learned to hunt the animals near the spines & ridges, and expect the wind to be different as you turned the corner on the above.  Theres also some brushy areas.

Look forward to the next time.

Hope to get a draw permit in a good but not well-known area for next year (don't we all ?).

And just to whet the appetites here's a pic of an ok-sized bull crossing the road where I live but is closed to caribou hunting,

And another I've posted before of an excellent bull in a snowstorm.

Hope you enjoy this with a cup of something warm.
"Have I not commanded you ? Be strong and courageous.  Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go." Joshua 1:9

Offline jeanpaul3006

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2010, 11:11:00 PM »
i went caribou hunting in manitoba and had a great hunt.I missed a monster when he spotted me drawing at 10 yards and missed as he was running.I shot him with a rifle and would post a pic but it's a rifle kill. Beautiful scenery and  having the chance to view a polar bear for a few hours was unique experience. Also got to watch a pack of wolves hunting a group of caribou.There were alot of caribou but the co's stated that there were pockets of caribou rather than a large migration.  Numbers are down in the province and talk of cancelling fututre seasons.

Offline acadian archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2010, 06:26:00 AM »
aply for permission and or pardon for your DUI and you should have no problem getting in. Do this well ahead of your proposed trip
44# Chek mate Hunter II

"shoot what you like, like what you shoot"

Offline madness522

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2010, 06:26:00 AM »
Yeah hunting Caribou is definately something I want to do before I expire.
Barry Clodfelter
TGMM Family of the Bow.

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2010, 07:07:00 AM »
Chinook!....

Appreciate those pics so much. Nothing like the interior to get a man's heart pumping.

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2010, 07:48:00 AM »
There is the mainland of Newfoundland and then the island. I am hearing the island herd is fine, but not sure of this. I hunted there about 8 years ago, it was one of the best hunts I've ever done. They don't migrate on the island, so you are constantly hunting for them, not waiting for the herds to run by. A blast. I'll try and load some pics....
David M. Conroy

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©