3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What about Caribou????  (Read 1081 times)

Offline IndianaBowman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What about Caribou????
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2010, 07:50:00 AM »
Been up to Alaska hunting them twice. Still some amazing areas up there. I'll be heading up again in the fall to an area where stalking up on a great caribou hasn't been too difficult the last couple of years. It's still hunting, but my buddy I'll be going with was passing up great bulls every day.

Good luck to everyone. In my opinion caribou is the BEST eating of all big game animals.

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2010, 07:58:00 AM »
The natives said the rutting bulls were the worst tasting animal on the planet. We got fogged in and had to stay four extra days waiting to get out. Could not see four feet so we were cabin bound. We were the last hunters so we ran out of most food, and therefore cooked up a couple of bulls.
I think the natives are drinking too much firewater...like IndianaBowman said...DEEEELICIOUS!
David M. Conroy

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2010, 10:28:00 AM »
Have you guys heard what is affecting the populations of caribou?  I've only been able to hunt them once, but it is an animal I would gladly hunt every single year if I could.

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2010, 10:40:00 AM »
I've hunted 2 times and got zip.  The first time in Quebec and we saw 3 in 7 days.  The 9 guys that came to camp the day we left got 18 bulls.. go figure.

second time was the N slope of the brooks range on the haul road.  On that trip we saw zillions but just did not close any of the dozens attempts.

Joe
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Offline Cory Mattson

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2010, 10:58:00 AM »
Yes Ryan makes a good point. I also hunted caribou a BUNCH way back - my stuff is dated - early 90's. I have gotten to the point now where I would not hunt in the east. I do not have time for 'goose chases' or 'excuses'. I did have a good friend try as recently as 2008 - a TOTAL disaster. AK for a do it yourself hunt - if you can handle it woodsmanship wise and can do the homework and can trust your airservice. NW Canada if you can handle the cost. It's a real shame too - cause Caribou has great potetntial as a complete adventure experience. Some of my best days fishing and hunting small game have been on Caribou hunts 'after' putting up a couple a bulls.

<><
<--------------------<<<<<<<
Savannah River Bow Zone - Trad only Bowhunting Clubs and Camps

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2010, 11:08:00 AM »
I have to say that a caribou hunt is at the top of my list of adventers. Someday I hope to do it but until then I will have to hunt them through everyone's posts here.  :campfire:

Offline Eugene Slagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2010, 11:12:00 AM »
That along with quite a few other need to go on hunts for me is on my list & as money & time allows in my future I plan to go on em but till then all I can hope for is a good read.
Zona Custom Recurve: 60" 49# @ 27.5".
Sky Sky Hawk Recurve: 60" 47# @ 27.5".
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore, please take thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and hunt game for me.

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2010, 11:23:00 AM »
Not saying it's easy...

You can do Alaska yourself, with some very good caribou hunting for less than $5,000. This would be a fly-in drop hunt...interior Alaska...real wilderness. No large camps with 16 hunters; more like 4 guys sharing one campsite. You get the full experience of camping, cooking and hunting for at least 7-10 days...not the usual 5-6 of Canada. The catch? You'd better have some good bushcraft skills...some good gear...and the ability to pack meat.

I really think my days of caribou hunting in Canada are over. Alaska is so much more fun and affordable for me. The entire adventure is worth the cost...killing an animal is just gravy!

Offline Bowshot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2010, 11:30:00 AM »
I got a call this fall from my outfitter to inform me that the caribou hunt was cancelled this year due to lack of participation, caribou had not showed up on time. Blackstone Outfitters in the Yukon. Last time up there was awesome. They hunt the Porcupine Herd that migrates out of Alaska into their area late Sept, early Oct. The migration patterns change a little bit annually. Nathan Anderson was there in 2009 and killed a good bull. Jim and Adrienne Fink live in Saskatechewan in the off season, good people. Reasonable prices.

Terry

Offline Nakohe

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2010, 12:04:00 PM »
I had a bad experience with Tutulik. Saw no animals in 5 days and would not move us to a camp that had killed out up the lake. Promised free hunt the next year, then went under and closed just as we were getting ready to go. Lots of guys already had plane tickets and lost that money too. Would love to go again, and have heard Safari Nordik is a great outfitter. Kinda pricey though.
"Then Peter said unto them. Repent all of you and be baptized in the Name of Jesus for remission of sins and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
Acts 2:38

TGMM Family Of The Bow
Life Member T. B. O. T.
SGT. U.S.A.F. '72-'76
Life Member NRA

Offline dpg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2010, 01:29:00 PM »
Been once with my dad a few years back with Jack Hume Adventures.  Both of us took 2 bulls with our recurves.  Wrote about it in Trad Bowhunter Mag - Aug/Sept 2010.  Had a great time and would be happy to talk about my hunt and the outfitter with anyone interested.  It can be hit or miss, is sure getting expensive, but I'd love to go again!

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2010, 07:03:00 PM »
I would love to hunt caribou me too.It is quite a few year that I am searching a good guide.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Online Gun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2010, 02:27:00 AM »
Been up here twice in the mid 90's.

http://www.truenorthsafaris.com/hunting.php

Awesome place! I was pleasantly surprised at the artic. Beautiful place. Lots of Caribou when we were there. Made for bowhunting.  As someone else had said, I wish I could go every year.
It's really simple. Just don't take those borderline shots. Tomorrow is another day.

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2010, 04:19:00 AM »
Went to Quebec in 1985, my partner and I were the only two bowhunters in a camp of 16. We both got animals. I think back then the hunt cost around 2 Grand.
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline trad_bowhunter1965

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: December 11, 2010, 10:55:00 AM »
I plan to do a Alaska DIY hunt up Haul Road in 2012.
" I am driven by those thing that rouse my traditional sense of archery and Bowhunting" G Fred Asbell

Trad Gang Hall of Fame
Yellowstone Longbows
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate Member
Retired 38 years DoD civilian.

Offline Last of the Breed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: December 11, 2010, 11:44:00 AM »
I took a trip up the haul road in 06 and got a learning experience.  I saw about 500 caribou and just couldn't get close enough.  As a resident I had to get a IBEP cert just to be able to hunt with-in the 5 mile corridor along the road.  I dont live there any more but am planning another trip up there...
1 John 1:7  , and the blood
of Jesus Christ His Son cleanses us from all sin

Online Tater

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: December 11, 2010, 11:58:00 AM »
I like a few others here hunted with Tutulik Outfitters in 2007 great camp beautiful scenery, true wilderness. But like others no Caribou to speak of, I will say the guides went out of their way to put us on Caribou. I don't think I would ever go back to Northern Quebec it's too much feast or famine if the animals are there it's great if not, good fishing.
    We had 9 hunters in camp 6 archery and 3 rifle, 4 Caribou were killed that week 3 with Trad Archery equipment and one with a Compound.
    I would love to hunt the NW Territories or Alaska.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Charter/Life Member
Big Thompson Bowhunters
United Bowhunters of Illinois
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline hogdancer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: December 11, 2010, 12:10:00 PM »
han'nt found an outfitter yet but I was planning on going 2012
PBS regular Member,
but most importantly father to my two girls !
The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government _Thomas Jefferson

Online Tater

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: December 11, 2010, 12:12:00 PM »
A few pictures of Northern Quebec

Compton Traditional Bowhunters Charter/Life Member
Big Thompson Bowhunters
United Bowhunters of Illinois
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Wiley Coyote

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: December 11, 2010, 06:44:00 PM »
Went in '92 but the caribou were scarce. Nobody got a shot with a bow. There were some rifle hunters that bagged a few. It was a Quebec hunt.  :dunno:    :dunno:  We missed the migration I guess. The outfitter even moved us to a second camp.
Great Northern Bushbow
Super Shrew Delux
Talon Longbow
Chekmate Hunter Recurve

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©