3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What about Caribou????  (Read 1079 times)

Offline Bigriver

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: What about Caribou????
« Reply #40 on: December 11, 2010, 07:24:00 PM »
I went to Quebec twice, in `99 & in `06 with Tuttlik. I had great hunt both times. I love the tundra, the place is just spectacular. I was on the hunt in 06 with the owner of an unamed website & after I shot my 2 bou, I had his monster caribou come by me at 5 paces armed with only a video camera. He killed it 2 minutes later. I wish I knew how to post the video. Here is a cropped pic off my camera. After this pic they all walked past me while I hid behind a rock (BIG rock)

It was my favorite hunt I have ever been on.It was just awesome.

Having said that, I would not go back up there the way things are today. Outfitters ripping people off & the lack of animals has really ruined the thought of Quebec. That is a real shame. It is an experience I wish all bowhunters could share.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Tater

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: December 11, 2010, 07:36:00 PM »
Brian,
       I never get tired of seeing that last picture that's a great shot and a great animal. I believe that used to be your avatar?
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Charter/Life Member
Big Thompson Bowhunters
United Bowhunters of Illinois
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Bigriver

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: December 11, 2010, 07:48:00 PM »
Thanks yes it used to be. I had it blown up & the pic is so much more vivid, the tundra red is to be seen. I think photobucket washes out the pics a little. Here is the other bou I shot, that red background is unreal.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline TRADSTYK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: December 12, 2010, 10:34:00 AM »
Hunted caribou in 2004 with mirage outfitters. A very good hunt, all hunters tagged two bulls. I understand that was the last good year of hunting around that area.

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: December 12, 2010, 10:48:00 AM »
Yeah, Brian that photo is spectacular. The dark colors in the animals thick rack with that tundra color....incredible picture.
David M. Conroy

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: December 12, 2010, 11:01:00 AM »
If you all take me along when you decide to go.......I'll do all the cooking just for the chance to be there!!   :campfire:    :goldtooth:
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Offline Shedrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: December 12, 2010, 01:24:00 PM »
Caribou are on my bucket list. Anyone needs an extra guy in the future to tag along, I'm game.
Member of;
Comptons
Pope and Young
PBS
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
and Life member of Bowhunters Of Wyoming

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: December 12, 2010, 07:24:00 PM »
My Father has been guiding Caribou in Alaska for the past 5 years with the exception of last year.  every year it gets more and more difficult to get clients on game due to the lack of numbers. The problem is, the migration hasn't started during the season where they have their camp on the arctic circle.  Basically they have been hunting resident Caribou for the past 3 years. According to the outfitter, last year they had a lot of angry clients due to the lack of sightings but unfortunately they can only hunt that area within a certain amount of time. Fortunately for my father he took the season off to case elk and scratch that off his bucket list.

They are leaning more toward moose and grizzly hunting now since the caribou migration starts well after the season closes.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline dirtguy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: December 13, 2010, 06:33:00 AM »
Thanks for those pics chinook!

Offline acolobowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: December 13, 2010, 01:40:00 PM »

Hope this photo works.  This is a Mountain Caribou I got in BC.  We hunted off horses for 10 days.  You can really cover some ground on horses.  Saw a lot of caribou - some came right up to us, curious about the horses.  I hunted with Indian River Outfitters from Atlin, BC.  They are right on the BC/Yukon line.  I know the business sold after many years.  You could probably check them out online.

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: December 13, 2010, 01:44:00 PM »
jim shockey has tons of hunting ground others just cannot get into and other guides are not allowed into.he's exspensive but gets results and from what i gathered talking to my old neighbor in salem oregon who killed two huge bulls on two hunts jim will pull you off the smaller bulls and youre chances of a trophy bull are very high.not sure of prices but he has a website...jimshockey.com
IT'S NEVER WRONG TO DO WHATS RIGHT AND NEVER RIGHT TO DO WHATS WRONG.....LOU HOLTZ

Offline elkken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: December 13, 2010, 01:53:00 PM »
I have hunted Central Barren Ground Caribou twice with True North Safaris. I shot two Caribou both times. First was 1991 and again in 2004. Great camp and food, long boat ride most days to hunt. You are on McKay Lake, a really big lake. Weather is a big factor and can change daily but I was blown off the lake only once in all my days hunting. Only negative for me was they had bow and gun hunters in camp at the same time, but kept you fairly seperated while out hunting.

Caribou IMO are the most fun spot and stalk animal there is to hunt. We also saw grizzly bears, wolfs, and foxes.

I have heard the tag numbers are down but do not know if that is directly related to animal population or politics. The first week of Sept was prime time for us ....
Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: December 13, 2010, 02:00:00 PM »
ok..scratch jim shockey,i went to his website and just about passed out when i saw his prices.over 20k for a moose hunt.  :scared:
IT'S NEVER WRONG TO DO WHATS RIGHT AND NEVER RIGHT TO DO WHATS WRONG.....LOU HOLTZ

Offline Bill Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: December 13, 2010, 02:05:00 PM »
Have you looked into a hunt on Adak?  It was a herd stocked in the 50's.  Reeves Aleutin Airlines is the only commercial way in.  Bill

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: December 13, 2010, 02:11:00 PM »
That's just plain crazy!

I imagine that's how Jim Shockey gets the money to hunt all over the world....huh?

Caribou just aren't worth a second mortgage, I'll stick with my whitetail, turkey, coyote, rabbit, and squirrel.

Unless I hit the lottery?
Even if I did, I still wouldn't pay 20K to kill any animal in the world....anywhere.....at any time what so ever.

Great pics to all who shared them.
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: December 13, 2010, 02:33:00 PM »
shockey has quite the little racket going i tell ya.if you hit an animal and they find one drop of blood your hunt is over as that is considered a dead animal even if it runs off never to be found.i couldnt find a price on mountain caribou but its 10,900.00 for a reindeer hunt so a mountain bou will be even more one would assume.then there are other fees like fly in,fuel surcharges and lets not forget the tips.i never dreamed it could run that high to hunt a caribou.plain crazy.

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: December 13, 2010, 02:53:00 PM »
I have no words for that.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: December 13, 2010, 03:13:00 PM »
Originally posted by PAPA BEAR:
ok..scratch jim shockey,i went to his website and just about passed out when i saw his prices.over 20k for a moose hunt.   :scared:  
I was gonna say something but figured people could pass thier own judgement.  A lot of places are up to about 7 G's now but you can find cheaper if you put your back into it.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: December 13, 2010, 04:14:00 PM »
Adak?  yes, been there done that but be very aware the logistics!

Mulchatna herd done and gone, Central Canadian caribou done and gone for a while in the NWT.

Central Arctic herd in AK has LOTS of caribou, fly out of Bettles or Kotzebue.  Issues with elbow to elbow hunters and possible shady flight services out of Kotz and no meat cooling available in Kotz.  Extra time and flights to get to Bettles or Kotz.

Haul Road will dissappoint MOST hunters.  Every time I have been up there and came back I felt "dirty" and needed to scrub with soap.  Everyone flocks to whatever caribou are there and it is very open and visible for miles over most of this area.  LOADS of poor sportsmanship for all to see.

Cha-ching on the Mountain Caribou hunts!

Offline doug77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: December 13, 2010, 05:03:00 PM »
I hunted in the Artic Circle out of a village called Inuvit in 1995. The outfitter is now gone and I know why but their were lots of caribou. Hunt cost was $2400.00 at that time.

doug77

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©