3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: West Virginia  (Read 381 times)

Offline Wolfie2nd

• Trad Bowhunter
West Virginia
« on: December 10, 2010, 09:00:00 AM »
Well I was looking at your fish and game regulations and they kinda of make it hard for a Yankee to understand. I          want to do a hunting / camping trip next year and I can't figure out how much my license will cost me with the stamps/tags for a buck. And also do they allow  camping on state ground. I have never just up and gone to another state to hunt.
            I wanted to do  an elk hunt but I think I want to try something a little closer to home. Any help would be great!
Thanks in advance,
                     Doug

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: West Virginia
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2010, 09:03:00 AM »
Doug let me know what you find out,always wanted to do that.You may find more info on the WV forum bottom of main page.
 http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=forum;f=113
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Wolfie2nd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2010, 09:09:00 AM »
If your interested you can get in once I figure out  what the deal is

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2010, 09:11:00 AM »
That sounds good I will do some research as well,some of my friends do gun hunt's the cheap way.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Wolfie2nd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2010, 09:16:00 AM »
I looked at maps in Logan county the terrain looks pretty rough. Google maps does not show elevation. I think ill look for a topo map online

Offline sswv

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2010, 09:20:00 AM »
that's funny Doug!  they make it hard for ANYONE to understand. LOL  I'll PM you my number and 'maybe' I can help out.

Offline Kenneth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2010, 11:06:00 AM »
I go back home to WV to hunt and I have to buy a non-resident license.  It cost me $200 for my license, spring gobbler, and archery deer tag.  If you want to hunt bears which the area I hunt there's more bear than deer right now then it's $162 for a bear tag.  What county or area are you looking to hunt?
Chasing my kids and my degree for now but come next fall the critters better look out.  ;)

Offline Wolfie2nd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2010, 11:20:00 AM »
I'm thinking Logan county.....

Offline rabbit_buster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2010, 11:28:00 AM »
Logan county holds some big bucks, also look at McDowell county.... if ya want to see some trail camera pics of the area shoot me a pm..

Offline Wolfie2nd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2010, 11:33:00 AM »
How is the access in those two counties ? Also does anyone know if you camp on public grounds?

Offline Wolfie2nd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2010, 11:35:00 AM »
Is it full of posted signs ?

Offline rabbit_buster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2010, 11:49:00 AM »
no there is alot of public hunting but I'd suggest doing some research alot of the land is owned by coal companies but you can hunt alot of them just need to look into it a bit. I dont know much about the camping but I know alot of people do camp just not sure where at.....

Offline hitman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2010, 12:25:00 PM »
I will try to help you out with the license. First you will need a class E nonresident license which is $119.00 which allows you a deer with gun. You must also buy a conservation/law enforcement stamp ($13.00). A class (UU) archery stamp cost ($32.00) which allows a buck or doe. You can purchase a (W) muzzleloader stamp at $32.00. You can also purchase a turkey stamp (WW)at $32.00. An additional archery  stamp(RRB) cost
$37.00.Additional gun (RRG) is $43.00. Additional muzzleloader (RRM) is $37.00. Antlerless deer tags (NN) are $27.00. You can buy a bear license for $162.00 plas a $10.00 (DS) stamp. The class (E) stamp also allows for small game. If you only wanted to bow hunt you could get buy for for $164.00 for only 1 buck. Anything else is the prices I give you added on. Hope that helps.
Black Widow PSAX RH 58" 47#@28
Samick Sage 62" 40#@28"
PSA Kingfisher RH 45#@28
Treadway longbow RH 60" 46#at 28"
W.Va. Bowhunters Association life member
Pope and Young associate member
Mississippi Traditional Bowhunters life member

Offline Cory Mattson

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2010, 05:08:00 PM »
We recommend going to the 'Bow Zone' for a few days end of Feb looking for sheds and an initial scout. Follow up with a spring gobbler hunt in the same area - even though these 4 counties are not the best for turkeys - but there are enough to work with - stay on point - after a winter scout and a spring hunt you are probably ready to hunt deer bow only fall hunt. I still like a late Sept scout to check acorns and at which elevations. One of the very best bowhunts anywhere.
<><
<-------------------<<<<<<<<
Savannah River Bow Zone - Trad only Bowhunting Clubs and Camps

Offline Wolfie2nd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2010, 06:14:00 PM »
That is some great FYI. I planned on going out there one time to check things out , but the turkey hunt now that's good. I forgot all about turkey. We have a bad turkey population in my area with tons of  pressure so I don't even bother. Great one more reason to get out of NJ.

Offline Zbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2010, 06:44:00 PM »
Funny how one monster buck photo floating around the internet peaks a lot of interest...8^)

Offline Wolfie2nd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2010, 07:49:00 PM »
To be honest I haven't any clue about a big buck on the internet. I just want a cheap DIY hunt away from NJ in another state. I figured Logan county because its part of the bow only and I've herd some talk about it.
We have big bucks in NJ the only problem is that they are night owls due to all the baiting and high pressure on little land.

Offline Zbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2010, 09:11:00 PM »
I had a smilely at the end, was just joking around...8^)

Offline wollelybugger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2010, 05:29:00 AM »
I go down to WV and rent cabins in the state parks, one is in Kumbrabo and there is another in Pocohontas county. The cabins are beautiful and you have lots of state land ot hunt on. There is a million acres of national forest you can hunt for a couple of extra dollars. The Kumbrabo area is in Randolph county and is hard to hunt but it sure is beautiful. The Kumbrabo park is over 10,000 acres and there is plenty of elbow  room .I like to combine a Spring Gobler hunt with  trout fishing.

Offline Wolfie2nd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2010, 05:37:00 AM »
Well that  is good to know. Thanks for the FYI. All you guys have been great help.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©