3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: odd question for a bunch of tradgangers...  (Read 249 times)

Offline hova

• Trad Bowhunter
odd question for a bunch of tradgangers...
« on: December 10, 2010, 12:39:00 PM »
so im looking at hunting the extended gun season this year (deer) , and i was curious of something...

i am a smoker , and i also use an electronic cigarette , and i was looking for some input of smokers/ecig users as to if you smoke or vape while hunting...i know most people think having a cig in the stand or blind is ludacris  , but im looking at sitting in one spot for 99% of the two days of the extended season , and im just curious what everyone does when they cant have a smoke...

specifically looking for guys/gals that have gotten a deer while using an ecig..

-hov
ain't got no gas in it...mmmhmmm...

Offline stevewills

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: odd question for a bunch of tradgangers...
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2010, 12:49:00 PM »
kill several deer a year and usually have to put out a smoke to shoot them,hunt the wind and dont worry,just make sure you can see far off so your not making movement when deer are close...wish i never started but i quit drinking,and not ready to drop all of my cruches yet
i like biscuits

Offline greyghost

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2010, 12:57:00 PM »
I enjoy a good cigar at times when turkey hunting. I know most folks won't believe it except the ones with me and that is I have had nice deer, does and bucks over the last 8 fall seasons I could not bow hunt (never even considered picking up a compound, cross bow or gun like my friends wanted me to for deer) due to injuries and rehab. come right up or past me even when they were down wind from me. Of course once I seen them I remained motionless.

Now that I started bow hunting again a couple weeks ago for deer and turkeys are in at the same time I will not smoke I guess just old habits of deer and smoking do not mix. Besides hard to draw a bow and hit anchor with a cigar in ones mouth. LOL my luck I would burn through the string.

My occational cigar was always enjoyed around the campfire or home (outside) with friends in the past and now hopefully in my years left.

Earl

Offline hova

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2010, 02:05:00 PM »
good to hear. im pretty sure ill be far enough from the entry spots that i can see them , but the one deer i have seen while hunting , walked  right past me from behind me , and just kep mozy'n along , knowing i wouldnt shoot him in the ass...

i will charge up my batteries for the ecig , and use that when i can , and if i get one , or at the end of the day , i might go ahead and have a cig.

the ol man is one of those old timers who puts his bibs in a bag full of leaves and dirt for a week before the season...cant say i blame him , but i dont buy into the whole "deer can smell you from across the county" thing. im sure they can , but where i hunt , is less than a mile or two to any populated place , so im sure they smell all sorts of things and get used to em...

never know , there might be a nicotine fiend deer somewhere tthat loves the smell..

Offline broketooth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2010, 02:35:00 PM »
ive been hunting what they call street smart deer i got alot more to worry about than just the way i smell from smoking cigarettes. these deer are very keen to human contact. they are also the most very elusve deer ive ever seen . i also have had numerous close encounters with these deer both buck and does. im 0-4 with these deer. what a challenge. a fellow tg'er here has told me it doesnt matter what scent cover you use, if a deer is gonna smell ya thats it. they have a 6th sense. they know when something is not right. as far as smoking in the stand you just have to have the will power to not smoke  period. if you smoke it doesnt matter what scent cover you use a non smoker can tell if he has been around a smoker. your clothes reak of cigarettes its just the way it is all i can say is just dont smoke. and im a smoker. good luck. ruddy
" you have done well to keep your hair when so many are after it"

Offline hova

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2010, 03:06:00 PM »
yeah thats why im thinking of using my ecig. theres no smoke , and ive never smelled anything but the flavoring , mildly. im thinking some alfalfa and apple vape would bring em in...

ironically on the ecig forum i frequent , there was talk of a doee estrus flavor so they would get the scent out there...the thought of tasting doe pee is not my way of thinking...

and yeah , i have seen some urban deer and they know whats up. saw one last summe while fishing a creek...i heard some crashing coming down the hill and thought maybe someone went off the road and was coming at me... here comes this feller...

dont let that last one fool you. i was down in the creek , and that wall was up to my neck which is 5' ...he cleared it with feet to spare...

i was smokin like crazy while fly fishin , and hootin and hollerin when i got an 18 pound carp on some 4/5wt gear...

sufficed to say , the deer was the highlight of my week. this was in a public park that sees a lot of traffic; pedestrian and vehicle... i was happy that day!

-hov

Offline hova

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2010, 03:07:00 PM »
forgot to mention , he didnt even notice me till i started trying to bleat. he was cool with it until i started trying to get a little closer for a better shot.

that was the day i wished i had the damned thing oon burst photo's.

Offline Jim Boettcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2010, 03:53:00 PM »
Back when I smoked, I always held off while in stand. I saw few deer. This was in northern Michigan. So I decided to enjoy myself while I was out there. I saw more deer than ever, every time I had one lit. I don't know if it was a curiosity thing or what. Now I wasn't seeing big bucks, but lots of deer. Now I chew tobacco, yes even on stand. I have had deer right at the base my tree smelling where I spit. I don't know? It doesn't seem to bother the deer in my area.

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2010, 08:46:00 PM »
I shot a very nice buck while smoking and laughing and telling jokes with a friend. I wouldn't smoke cigs in a stand though they leave trash behind.
"There is a natural mystic flowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Bob Marley

Offline hova

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2010, 10:27:00 PM »
my option for the hunting days will be roll your own no-filters. i only do that when i need to cut back on what i smoke. i figure two rollies should do me for a whole day.

nice to see some of the hype is just that.

as for chew , i might just grab myself some snus for the ride. stuff was a godsend when i was in the hospital . almost had me off cigs , then i got home and thats all i could think about.

-hov

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2010, 11:30:00 PM »
Don't take this the wrong way. I'm sure you can kill plenty while smoking, especially if you hunt the wind. It's just that you might shoot more overall if you are able to hunt more years without emphysema. I'm sure you have your reasons, though, so I'll butt out.

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2010, 12:15:00 AM »
The problem with smoking while hunting is the movement, not the smell. If you can hide the movement effectively, it should not affect your success.

I quit about 20 years ago, by telling myself that I could start again when I reached 60. I've passed that age, but decided to stay quit anyhow. I value my health now more than I did then.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline S.C. Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2010, 12:38:00 AM »
I don't smoke that often, but have shot a few deer while smoking a cigar. Got off a couple shots on turkeys but missed.
USMC 82-86

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©