3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Tru-Oil on Shafts ?  (Read 423 times)

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
Tru-Oil on Shafts ?
« on: December 10, 2010, 09:29:00 PM »
Ok I'm in the middle of refinishing one of my longbows and I have to admit using tru-oil and it's coming out great. Made me think, does anyone use it on arrow shafts ?
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tru-Oil on Shafts ?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2010, 09:39:00 PM »
Yes, 3D and stumps beats them up. Great for hunting though.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2010, 09:57:00 PM »
I have some Laminated birch a friend gave me that he used Tru-oil on. Seems to work fine, maybe not as smooth as lacquer.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline bad arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2010, 10:03:00 PM »
Haven't tried tru-oil but outta work fine with repeated wipes. Personaly I use high gloss tung oil on tight grain cedar, which looks great....just takes several nights to finish'em....Phil

Offline monkeyball

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2010, 10:04:00 PM »
Tru-Oil works super on wood shafts. When I was making woods that is all that I used. The more coats you apply the prettier they get. I would apply 3 coats then steel wool them down,then start all over again until I got the look I wanted.

Once it dries it is a hard durable surface.

Good Shooting,
                                   Craig

Offline Huntschool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2010, 10:13:00 PM »
What Monkeyball said... it is also seemingly more flexable then lacquer..  Ya can thin it.

I used LinSpeed thinned.....
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator (retired)
Southeastern Illinois College
NSCA Level III Instructor
Black Widow Bows
AMM 761

Offline chanumpa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2010, 10:20:00 PM »
So would you guys dip them,hang them,steel wool them when dry and then repeat 3 times?

Offline bad arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2010, 10:24:00 PM »
Hand rub it in using a soft cotton cloth saturated with the oil (I use surgical gloves when applying tung). Do the steps monkeyball suggested....Phil

Offline monkeyball

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2010, 10:28:00 PM »
Harold,
       Put a pair of latex gloves on,cut up some small squares of a thin cloth. Hold the cloth over the bottle opening and do a quick upside down and back turn. Now wipe your shaft top to bottom,sit it in a place where you can let it dry(minimum time of 2 hrs).That is one coat. Repeat this 3 times(drying between coats) and see what you think. I do not steel them until I have at least three coats on.

Don't forget,use Duco to glue your fletch on with.

Craig

Offline Doug in MN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2010, 11:39:00 PM »
Have used Tru-oil for shafts off and on for quite some time now and it works very well.
Follow Craigs directions and you can not go wrong.

There is another product that was made for gun stock finishing that works extremely well for wood shafts.
Permalyn made by Laurel Mountain Forge, there is a sealer and a finishing product.
Same instructions as above.
This stuff is like an Armour coating, tough as nails.
Downside is it a bit pricey.

Offline rainman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2010, 11:43:00 PM »
Use Gum Turpentine to clean up, and turn the bottle upside down with cap tight when not in use.  This will keep it from drying on the top.
Semper Fidelis
Dan Raney

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2010, 11:51:00 PM »
I've used Tru Oil on gunstocks, bows, and arrow shafts and it's worked very well on all. It's a beautiful finish for any wood surface in my opinion. It's all I will ever use for my gunstocks, but for my woodies I went for quick and easy with a rattle can of satin polyurethane cause I grew tired of the wiping just for some arrow shafts. I figured I'd save the Tru oil for more important projects and the spray on satin poly is plenty durable and much quicker, dries fast and easy to apply.
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Offline TEX-O-BOB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2010, 12:17:00 AM »
I haven't used Tru-oil, but I have used a gun finishing product called Lin"speed" oil. I used it to finish some ash arrows I made last year and it did a superb job. Hard smooth finish that accepts fletching tape very well. You can pick it up on line at Midway USA or Brownells.
Ones ethics can only be described by what you do when nobody is looking.

Offline 2fletch

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2010, 10:36:00 AM »
I used linseed oil on a gunstock that I made as a teenager.

Tru-oil is my preferred finish on wood arrows. As others have stated here, I wipe it on with a small square of polyester cloth. I prefer a minimum of 4 coats and steel wool it lightly after about the second coat.

If you damage an arrow at some point then it's easy to apply more finish to the damaged area.

Online kat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2010, 10:44:00 AM »
Yup!  Tru-oil is quick and easy. The trick to making it come out looking really well is to keep the coats thin, and lightly steel wool in betwween coats.
Ken Thornhill

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2010, 10:50:00 AM »
Man, you guys have a lot more patience than I do! One of the reasons I use mostly carbons these days is because it takes so long to make cedar arrows, and that using poly. I've done more gunstocks with Truoil than I can count (used to own a gunshop), but it takes a long time. I use really thin coats and dry between, usually a minimum of 6-8 coats on a gun stock. I can't imagine doing that on an arrow and then taking it stumping!

I still do make/use cedars sometimes just because I love the way they shoot, but I'm in and out of the shop so fast with carbons, they are hard to resist.
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Online SuperK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2010, 01:43:00 PM »
One nice thing about the Tru-oil is you can touch up a spot on a shaft or near the point (from 3-D targets).  I wish Wally World still had it.  Like what has been said before, apply a coat, let it dry, steel wool lightly, apply another coat, and so-on until you get the finish you want.  3 coats would be minimum. IMO.  Fletch with Duco.  I wish Wally World still carried that too!  Last batch of woodies I made I used Watco Danish Oil.  That actually penetrates INTO the wood.  I think the Tru-oil makes a better looking arrow.
They exchanged the truth of GOD for a lie,and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator-who is forever praised.Amen Romans 1:25 NIV

« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2010, 02:38:00 PM »
How does glue stick to tru oil, I have been using latex wiped on and wipe off for stain and water soluble poly because it dries fast.  Tried tongue oil with poly dipped to the crest, the tongue oil takes too long to dry for my patience.

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2010, 03:27:00 PM »
I dont know much about finshes, is this the stuff.
Burchwood,Casey Tru-Oil gun stock finsh?

I have some woods i want to make up.
TGMM Family of the Bow
"OVERTHINKING" The art of creating problems that weren't even there!

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2010, 01:55:00 PM »
ttt
TGMM Family of the Bow
"OVERTHINKING" The art of creating problems that weren't even there!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©