3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Grizzly Stick Tuning Advice?  (Read 291 times)

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
Grizzly Stick Tuning Advice?
« on: December 10, 2010, 09:50:00 PM »
I'm sure it's been asked a 1,000 times already, but does anybody know where the threads are for questions about tuning Grizzly sticks?
I know about the heavy side of the shaft, but I'd like to read some tips on getting perfect arrow flight.

If you all know where the links are...please just point me in the right direction. Or, if you all don't mind going through this again......then by all means offer your experiences and advice here!

Thanks,
SEMO
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Grizzly Stick Tuning Advice?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2010, 10:25:00 PM »
I entered 'grizzly sticks' in search and selected  'subject only' got 2 pages of listings.

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2010, 11:15:00 PM »
Thanks Bjorn, I'll give that a try.

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2010, 11:53:00 PM »
Well after reading about 8 different posts on the subject, I can see why nobody wants to talk about it. Some love em.....others absolutely hate em.
Oh well........I'll make em fly.

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2010, 12:55:00 AM »
I sold mine and bought Arrow Dynamics.  Better quality, much more consistent, easier to work with, and real customer service.
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2010, 01:03:00 AM »
Thanks Walt. To be honest they are a bit heavier than I would like since I'm only shooting a 48# Bear Grizzly, but if I can get them to shoot consistently then I don't mind. I'll take accuracy over speed anyday. I may just work with 1 or 2 of them and if I can't get anywhere then I'll trade or sell for something else.

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2010, 01:45:00 AM »
I have a set, for the bows that they fly nice for me I notice they always group to the right of my cedars, when shooting right handed.  After a while they seem to be right on and the cedars and aluminum arrows go left.  I put a set of broadheads on them and shot them all at my target after I warmed up with a few aluminum arrows, left handed.  The Grizzlies all grouped real tight to the left.  Since, I shoot small game with cedars I took the heads back off and put them back in the box.  Perhaps one day when I will only be shooting them I will use them for everything until they are gone.

Offline hvyhitter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2010, 08:42:00 AM »
The only problem I ran into was that once I had the bow and the grizzlies tuned to shoot great, my other arrows wouldnt shoot right. Shot them about two weeks and broke 2 so I went back to my aluminum and wood. 200+ arrows vs 4.
Bowhunting is "KILL and EAT" not "Catch and Release".....Semper Fi!

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2010, 09:00:00 AM »
Hmmmmm.......well I've got em' so I'm gonna do my best to make em' fly straight. I only plan to fletch 2 out of the 10 good ones that I have, then if it doesn't pan out maybe I could trade them for something else? I'd rather trade or swap, cut a deal and barter like they did in the old days over paying cash for something any day of the week......so it ain't no big thang!

They sure are perty to look at though.  :goldtooth:

Offline Ricoh

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2010, 09:24:00 AM »
The only way I could make them fly was to lower my nocking point really low on my widow. The problem with that is your release has to to be Peter P. Perfect all the time. I am going back to wood.

Rick

Offline Huntschool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2010, 11:48:00 AM »
I tried some back before they went to China.  Even then they took some doing to get right.  I went back to the AD's.  They are easy....
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator (retired)
Southeastern Illinois College
NSCA Level III Instructor
Black Widow Bows
AMM 761

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2010, 01:18:00 PM »
Got the first one fletched and just finishing up with the second one. That will give me 2 fletched and then I'll use 2 bare shafts for tuning purposes. Maybe by this evening I'll have some results with the Grizzly Sticks?

Gotta give the glue time to dry first, and the arrow sticking in the target wasn't shot, I put it there so the fletching end is near the wood stove for warmth to dry the glue.
It's about 38deg. and drizzling rain here today......Brrrrr! Nasty out, I hate this kind of weather, but it gives me time to fletch arrows so it's not a complete wasted day.

Pics aren't the best when taken with my cell phone, but it's convenient.

Offline Robhood23

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2010, 01:25:00 PM »
Never had a problem with them, they fly great out of all my bows 53#'s on up. I like them because I don't have to keep switching arrows when I switch bows!
The man who thinks he can and the man who thinks he can't are both right!!!

Offline Fischman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2010, 01:27:00 PM »
I've been working up some also SEMO so it will be good to hear what you come up with. Ya its 18 deg here with 50mph gusts today = minus6deg wind chill, can't even go out and test shoot! Brother says its a blizzrd in Lincoln now with this wind, maybe later or tomorrow i can shoot?
YOU HAVE TO STAND FOR SOMETHING OR YOU'LL FALL FOR ANYTHING !!!

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2010, 01:56:00 PM »
Oh yeah Jerry, I saw it all on the weather this morning. You all are going to get hit hard!

I've actually got the 500 spine Banshees, and I have 1 Sitka that I am going to test.
I can already tell that the finished weight is a whole lot better for my set up with the Sitkas.

The Banshees weigh in at 636gr. @28.750"
The Sitkas weigh in at 486gr. @28.5" and that's a whole lot closer to what I need for my #48 Bear Grizzly. Problem is that I only have one Sitka and those will probably be what flies the best with my luck.   :rolleyes:  

I'll see how it goes? I'm lucky that I have one of each so if the Sitkas are good shooters then I could always save up for a half dozen, or sell the Banshees and get some more Sitkas.
If they both fly well, I could save the Banshees for hunting moose, Bear, Hogs, Elephant, Hippo, or Water Buffalo on my next trip to Tanzania....LOL   :saywhat:  

Lots of possibilities here.....I just hope and pray I can get them tuned, then I'll keep them all.

I am having a bit of difficulty determining the heavy spine side of the shaft. I have watched the video on rolling it across my hand while flexing the shaft.....not 100% sure I'm feeling it?
Then by rolling it across a flat surface and watch what side it stops on......not 100% sure on that either?

What else is there to determine for 100% certainty which is the stiff side?
Luckily all my natural turkey fletchings are the same with no obvious cock feather, and the nocks are tunable......so I can turn them any direction that makes the fly the best.

Thanks for the replies, I appreciate it.
I'll keep you all tuned in as the saga develops.

« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2010, 02:30:00 PM »
If I were to go out and check how my Grizzlies fly right now, I could tell you that they went south.  50 mph north winds and I cannot see my yard from my house.  I would not be using anything that heavy for spring turkeys anyway.  Ah! spring and turkeys and flowers and no use for super heavy arrows.
I always had to raise my nocking point just a little for the Grizzlies to fly just right.

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2010, 03:08:00 PM »
First initial test results are in. Without doing anything at all to my set up that I've been shooting woodies and some carbon Blackhawk Vapors out of......I fired each arrow pointing at the heart on this target in my garage.
Mind you this is only about 10 yards or less.....length of my garage from end to end and I just let them hit wherever they hit.

The Sitka shaft is the one in the heart by the way, and the other high and left is the Banshee.....which is the heavier shaft of the two. This is pretty much what I expected to happen as the Banshee is a much heavier shaft and with my 125gr. field tips it appears like over spine for my right handed set up. I'm not knocking the Banshees yet, it is probably just a matter of a longer shaft or a heavier field point. I haven't done any tuning of the shaft by turning the nock yet either. So there's more to come on that.

The Sitka however, flew like a dart....Literally!
It came out of the bow so sweet and hit exactly where I was looking. No further tuning required.....for field tips anyway. Broadheads are a different ball game. By the way the Sitka came out of my bow though, I would venture to say that it will shoot a broadhead just fine.

Stay tuned!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©