3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Natural ground blind pics! Anyone?  (Read 656 times)

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
Natural ground blind pics! Anyone?
« on: December 11, 2010, 09:07:00 PM »
I know this has been done before, but I just like to see good ground setups. Done a search without much luck! Any help? Thanks' Jason

Offline OkKeith

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Natural ground blind pics! Anyone?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2010, 09:18:00 PM »

Brush in back is as important as brush in front. Anywhere can work with a good ghillie.

OkKeith
In a moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing. The worst thing you can do is nothing.
Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Deadsmple

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2010, 03:07:00 AM »
Here are a couple of my ambush spots.  I like to keep it simple.

All praise is the Lords

"to get to heaven, turn right and stay straight"

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2010, 08:06:00 AM »
Thanks' fellas, I love to hunt on the ground and see what kind of hides I can make. It's always fun to get'em close. Even if you dont kill one it's still a rush!! Jason

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2010, 08:20:00 AM »
Here is the deer's view of one I used years ago.

A view from the inside where I set up. The blind was on a food plot. The food plot was made on an old log yard so I built the blind behind a dirt pile the dozer pushed up clearing the land. I used a pick and shovel to make a level spot for my chair behind the blind

Here is a view over the top of the blind and the plot I was watching.

The blind was the shoot through type with four shooting ports like this.

Offline Gatekeeper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2010, 10:28:00 AM »
Here are some of the ones that I have used recently. Most of these pictures don’t have me in them, but the Ghillie suit that I wear is in the picture along with the camo netting that I use.

The Ghillie is a Rancho Safari and the netting is an 8’ x 10’ military style net that I bought at Cabela’s. If there isn’t any foreground cover, I’ll use the net to cover the Double Bull chair that I sit on. That way there aren’t any dark holes under me. The rest of the netting is used to create background cover that I can blend into. The netting and the Ghillie work pretty well together.

Here is a picture of a natural blind before I got setup.

Here is the same blind with the Ghillie and netting. I’m not in the Ghillie it is propped up on the chair.

Here is a close up of the same setup.

Here is a different setup. This blow-down has a perfect little pocket that I can sit in. It gave plenty of foreground cover but not enough background cover. So all of the netting was used to create background cover.

Close-up

Side view

This setup was the first one where I was able to see myself in the Ghillie. This was a little pocket of cedars next to a pond. There was no foreground cover and the background cover had a few holes in it, but with the netting the background filled in nicely and I blended in almost perfectly. My arrows stand out like sore thumb and I think the facemask needs to be dyed but other than that it looks great.

TGMM Family of the Bow   A member since 6/5/09

“I can tell by your hat that you’re not from around here.”

Casher from Brookshires Food Store in Albany, Texas during 2009 Pig Gig

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2010, 05:07:00 PM »
Gatekeeper, Those are some cool pics! Nice setup! Jason

Offline ti-guy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2010, 05:16:00 PM »
Wow,those pics are inspiring cause i have'nt prepare ground blind much,thak you guys for sharing.Some comercial camo show their products on the ground but sometimes you wonder if it's a good place to shoot a bow from,thanks again.
An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward.So when life is dragging you back with difficulties, it means that it's going to launch you into something great.

Offline macksdad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2010, 09:14:00 PM »
You guys have some cool set ups  good pics
Hoyt Buffalo   #45@28,#50@28, #55 @28, #60@28
Hill Country Wildcat 52#@28
Hill Country Wildcat Static #57@31
Rick Welch Accuracy Factory

Offline Hill Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2010, 10:07:00 PM »
I have an idea for a couple but it will be next year before pics. I have some areas with thick honeysuckle that vines over everything. after the deer eat it down this winter I am going in and building a couple of blinds with a chicken wire frame in the honeysuckle, it should climb over the wire and fill in nicely.we will see.
Ps 8:3 ¶ When I consider thy heavens, the work of thy fingers, the moon and the stars, which thou hast ordained;
 4 What is man, that thou art mindful of him? and the son of man, that thou visitest him?

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2010, 08:26:00 AM »
I killed my biggest buck to date out of this blind. It has shooting ports cut in the front and is facing a major funnel in a hardwood hollow. I drew when the buck went behind the white oak in the far left corner of the picture and shot him when he came out the other side at about 5 yards.

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2010, 10:27:00 AM »
I know I have posted these several time. I have not taken any new pics of some of my new set ups. Any way, here are some pics of set ups I have used.
This first one was just a blow down with no modification.

This one I'm just tucked behind a couple of old fallen tree trunks that were perpendicular.

This was just a mess of sticks I put up against some other fallen branches. I shot a deer right after taking this picture out where the camera is. You don't need much to make it work. Just sit still.

I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline Pepper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2010, 10:46:00 AM »
These are some very good hides.
Double Bulls and the others are nice, but these are already in place, a little work, and you are ready to hunt.
Nice pics.
Archery is a family sport, enjoy it with your family.

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2010, 05:02:00 PM »
In reality I'd be a step back in the shadows. Virtually invisible.

This spot was a sweetheart for elk and deer in Western Wyoming. Use of natural cover and a Torges tree seat.

Even when still hunting, breaks or periods of stillness are best near cover of some kind. Become the tree.    ;)    
       http://www.tradgang.com/upload/charlie/Georgiaswamp2R.jpg
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2010, 05:18:00 PM »
Great pic's guy's! Jason

Offline dtarbell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2010, 05:31:00 PM »
I really enjoyed seeing some of your set-ups,it encourages me to get out of a tree and hunt on the ground like I did   before I discovered how much easier it is from a tree stand.

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2010, 05:51:00 PM »
What is interesting to me is that I have had my best success at getting close in "blinds" that have no cover at all in front of me but excellent back cover.  Makes me feel naked to be sitting or standing there with deer under 20 yards in front of me and absolutely nothing in the way of cover in front and they do not seem to be aware of my presence (assuming proper wind).  Our tendency is to want to hide behind something, but background cover coupled with no movement works quite well.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2010, 05:55:00 PM »
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2010, 07:33:00 PM »
Took advantage of a huge old white oak that had fallen in N.E.Oklahoma.  No less than 5 different trails met within 20 yards of it's root wad.

When ever there are deep shadow I make use of them.      

Hollowed out a willow bush to make this one.      

Here's the veiw from a spot in a down tree in Texas. Not a lot of cover, but enough that I killed my best hog ever the first time there.

Sometimes it's just hangin around being comfortable in a spot. Zero movement is the best camo.

Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Gatekeeper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2010, 08:47:00 PM »
Cool pictures Charlie!

This one really caught my eye.  

I’ll be chasing these guys for the first time this Feb.    :goldtooth:   I’m really intrigued by these critters.
TGMM Family of the Bow   A member since 6/5/09

“I can tell by your hat that you’re not from around here.”

Casher from Brookshires Food Store in Albany, Texas during 2009 Pig Gig

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©