3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: WE GOT SNOW FOR HUNTING!! FINALLY!!  (Read 619 times)

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
WE GOT SNOW FOR HUNTING!! FINALLY!!
« on: December 12, 2010, 09:40:00 AM »
I was praying for some snow and it looks like my prayers have been answered. Thank you Lord!     :thumbsup:    

I've found that when fronts like this come through in late season, all the game beds up until it passes. When it does pass, you gotta be ready and hit the woods Now!
Deer, rabbit, turkey, coyote, everything will be on the move!     :jumper:    

Pics aren't the greatest, taken with my cell phone through the garage window. They look dark, but it's not. That's just from taking the picture through the glass window.

~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Offline wildgame

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: WE GOT SNOW FOR HUNTING!! FINALLY!!
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2010, 09:50:00 AM »
we got bout 1 1/2 inches so far, i think its time to go and jump a bunny!!!!
"go afield with good attitude,and with respect for the wildlife you hunt, and the forest and fields in which you walk" -Fred Bear

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2010, 10:00:00 AM »
The neighbors beagle is running a rabbit right now! I think I'm gonna bundle up and go follow him around for as long as I can stand it.

He doesn't push them real fast....so I might actually get a shot?

Offline Broken Arrows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2010, 10:03:00 AM »
Here in Washington we got 10" yesterday and during the late Elk season I was in 7" of the white stuff. At times It made it very hard to stalk with out making a sound but I still love having it around. It is time for predator hunting now.

Dave
Take the long way around.
Dwyer Endeavor 58" 64@29"
Super Shrew 58" 60@28"
Thunder Child 58" 60@28"
Toelke Pika 56" 60@29"

Online swp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2010, 10:05:00 AM »
I am headed out this afternoon, the sun is coming out now and the wind is supposed to lay a little. As cold as it is they have got to feed. Good luck!!
"People say you can't go back, its like when you get to the edge of a cliff and you take one more step forward or you do a 180 degree turn and take one more step forward. Which way are you going? Which one is progress?" Doug Tompkins

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2010, 10:10:00 AM »
Originally posted by swp:
I am headed out this afternoon, the sun is coming out now and the wind is supposed to lay a little. As cold as it is they have got to feed. Good luck!!
You know it!!
Good Luck to you!

Be sure to post pics of your success.

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2010, 10:11:00 AM »
Originally posted by Broken Arrows:
Here in Washington we got 10" yesterday and during the late Elk season I was in 7" of the white stuff. At times It made it very hard to stalk with out making a sound but I still love having it around. It is time for predator hunting now.

Dave
I'm always predator hunting around here, coyotes are lousy thick and could show up at anytime.
For that reason, even if I'm just stumping or bunny thumping....I've always got a razor tipped shaft in my quiver and a sqealer in my pocket!   :thumbsup:

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2010, 11:02:00 AM »
We got some too and the wind has laid down a little so the thermos is full and so is my belly.

I think I will grab my sleeping bag, Bow/arrows a good book and head to one of my favorite blinds in a beautiful little valleys thats mostly out of the wind. The turkeys hopefully will show up sometime around mid day.

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2010, 11:31:00 AM »
I envy you Tracy!   :D  

Good Luck...and remember.....Lots of pics!   :thumbsup:

Offline mmisciag

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2010, 12:18:00 PM »
Here North West of Philadelphia, I wish for snow. It seems that every year the snow is south of us or north of us. It makes me crazy. Come on Global Cooling! I want to get out and follow animals around. (:

Martin

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2010, 12:25:00 PM »
We got 3 1/2" here last night. First of the season.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2010, 12:28:00 PM »
I'm still waiting for the wind to die down just a bit, but if it doesn't by 1pm or so......I'm getting out there anyway!
Wind chill here is a balmy 2 deg.F.....Perfect!   :thumbsup:    :biglaugh:

Offline DV of WI

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2010, 12:38:00 PM »
Ha! I went to school in Cape. Here in MN we get to experience it, 10+ in. snow, +2, -14 windchill right now, WC -20 or lower this PM. I think I will dig a pit blind in a snow drift this afternoon as they move to feed.

Offline Huntschool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2010, 12:48:00 PM »
It started about 6:00 AM.  We were only supposed to get a light dusting to an inch... there is 4-6 on the ground and now 11:45 AM the wind gusts have started.  We are looking at 9 deg over night tonight.

SEMO, I am thinking Bob (who is a graduate of my college) on chanel 12 and the cute girl on chanel 6 in Paducah missed the call on this one.....  Good luck to ya if ya go out.

I guess I'll work on some new arrows.  Not going out in this stuff.
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator (retired)
Southeastern Illinois College
NSCA Level III Instructor
Black Widow Bows
AMM 761

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2010, 12:48:00 PM »
might be a good night for coyotes since you can hunt them at night just not with lights.

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2010, 12:56:00 PM »
Bruce- I think they missed the call too? Originally we weren't supposed to get anything, but I prayed for it and here it is! Thanks again to the man upstairs.

I have hunted coyotes at night during a full moon, and believe it or not......I can see them reasonably well.
If there's snow on and even half a moon, it's a gimmee! If the wind lays I might have to grab my calls and head out after dark?
Matter of fact......I might just go ahead and put my pop up blind out and sit for awhile tonight. I know a perfect spot!   :thumbsup:

Offline greyghost

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2010, 12:57:00 PM »
Originally posted by K.S.TRAPPER:
We got some too and the wind has laid down a little so the thermos is full and so is my belly.

I think I will grab my sleeping bag, Bow/arrows a good book and head to one of my favorite blinds in a beautiful little valleys thats mostly out of the wind. The turkeys hopefully will show up sometime around mid day.

Tracy
Tracy, you lucky........... couple great looking longbearded ones there.

Send some of that some up this way please.

Earl

Offline Living_waters

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2010, 03:32:00 PM »
I think I seen them turkeys yesterday, but they fed about 80yrds from me...... My calls and decoy was laying on my shelf in the shop. I cleaned out my pack and thought I would lighten it up and do some scouting.

Snowed just enough this morning to cover the roads and make the 30 miles to church questionable....Now it is all almost blown away, wind is crazy now making it as hard decision if it is wise heading into the timber that still has a lot of dead stuff in the top from last years ice.
There ya go Semo that is another problem with that old growth timber.
"Whoever believes in me, as the Scripture has said, ‘Out of his heart will flow rivers of living water.'” Jesus

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2010, 03:39:00 PM »
We have and inch+ on the ground here today, too, but with the wind I'm gonna stay inside and work on arrows.  Travel patterns are changing where I'm hunting and this snow is gonna help figure it out.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2010, 04:13:00 PM »
Your right LW.....I always watch which trees I stop under when the wind is howling like it is today. We call them "Widow Makers" around here, and my dad has know people who got killed by them. A kid he went to school with way back when got killed by a widow maker in his own back yard!

I went out on about a 2 mile trek around the property here close to the house, down by the river, up through the cedars, and all along the edge of the pasture......about a 3hr. round trip.

My legs feel like limp noodles right now and no sign of rabbits moving about. Them little buggers are buried in lick a tick on a hound dog!!

I did however......find multiple sets of coyote tracks and started following them. They got fresher as I went and after about 400-500 yards of tracking, I started thinking to myself that I might want to start watching up ahead of me.
So I would glance up ahead, then look for more rabbits while following the coyote tracks which had turned into just one set by this time. I don't know where the others had split off, but this set was getting fresher the farther I went.

Just about the time I looked up again a coyote took off running up the draw that I was skirting.....Dang it!!   :banghead:  
When he busted outa there he was only about 50yrd. from me!
I literally walked right up on him.......so there's something to be said for snow camo. I've done the same thing on deer before while there was snow on the ground and I was wearing my snow camo.

Then after busting the coyote out.......I came across fresh turkey sign. Scratchings every where and multiple sets of tracks going all different directions. So I followed those until they ended at the edge of the river bank. I'm thinking that they must have flew across to the other side?
They do that alot around here. It ain't nothing for these turkeys to fly back and forth across the river several times a day.

It's good to know that they are finally starting to come back to my side of the river again. They disappeared on me back in October and hadn't seen any sign of them since until today.

It was tough walking, and the wind was howling steadily at about 25-30mph with huge wind gusts that had to be 40+ mph......but I really enjoyed getting out and especially getting that close to a coyote.....that was cool.
I think I'll put my blind out down there where all the coyote tracks were and maybe hunt it tomorrow and do some calling.

Even though conditions were tough, it still beats sitting in the recliner and getting more fat than I already am.   :goldtooth:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©