3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: WE GOT SNOW FOR HUNTING!! FINALLY!!  (Read 620 times)

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: WE GOT SNOW FOR HUNTING!! FINALLY!!
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2010, 04:20:00 PM »
I love walking around in the snow looking for critters   :bigsmyl:  

No way I was going to stay out of the woods when the first fall snow was on the ground.

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2010, 04:39:00 PM »
Yep....that's the one. I had one almost identical to yours Tracy, but the river got mine.

2 years ago during spring turkey season we had a monster rain, like 3-4" overnight and the river came up so quick there was no time to rescue my blind. It was under about 10 foot of water best I could tell.
Normally, my blind would have been well beyond any rise in the river, but this time was no normal rise in the river. I think it was the biggest I have ever seen it get?

I did find the blind about 3 weeks later, it had washed about a 1/2 mile downstream, wrapped around a tree, full of mud.....and completely destroyed. Found one of my decoys stuck in a tree....the other two were never seen again. Probably in the Mississippi Delta now?
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2010, 04:42:00 PM »
We got a foot last night, today snow off/on but it cooled down to 15 deg with 30-40 mph winds. Think I'll stay right here for a while. Just drove 19 miles to work and came home, plant lost power.

Eric

Offline JCJ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2010, 04:48:00 PM »
In the last 24 hours we added 17" on top of the 8" that was already on the ground.

Offline bluegrassbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2010, 04:48:00 PM »
Got a little snow here & it's still coming down.Me & my son got out this morning & played in the woods for a couple of hours..Got to walking out an oak flat here behind the house & bumped a bunch a  turkeys...honestly was so many(100 plus) we were having trouble counting...come on Spring...  :D
"Life,Liberty & the pursue of deer & turkeys."

Offline Huntschool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2010, 06:41:00 PM »
I killed ...... some arrows. Been in the shop since 2:00 working on them.  The darned wind was blowing so hard ya darned near could not stand up when I went to the shop to work.  I am in now and staying here (5:45).  Several schools between my house and Harrisburg are cancelled for tomorrow....  We have finals Monday through Wednesday so I doubt they will cancell us.

The weather folks missed this one on the snow fall but not the wind.

SEMO and LW stay out from underneath them trees.
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator (retired)
Southeastern Illinois College
NSCA Level III Instructor
Black Widow Bows
AMM 761

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2010, 06:55:00 PM »
No kidding, the wind chill here today was 2 deg.F
and I felt every bit of it. Any exposed skin felt like it was going to freeze instantly.

I did fine as long as I didn't stand still too long, so I kept moving and tracking coyote and turkey, while busting leaves with my judo point tipped woodie. It was not a safe place for a big brown leaf to be anywhere close to me today!   :archer2:  

I finally had to stop killing them because I was afraid I would be over my limit.
Too bad they taste like card board.   :p

Online swp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2010, 08:38:00 PM »
Well I dressed up warm and put some chem footwarmers in my boots and sat on stand for over three hours. Never did get cold until I climbed down and then my hands went numb.    :dunno:   Had 2 does and yearlings behind me about 4:15 then they got wind of me and headed east at a rapid rate. All in all a good evening to be out!
"People say you can't go back, its like when you get to the edge of a cliff and you take one more step forward or you do a 180 degree turn and take one more step forward. Which way are you going? Which one is progress?" Doug Tompkins

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2010, 08:55:00 PM »
Wow, your tougher than I am Scott!
No way I could have sit still when I went out today. The only way I made it 3hrs. was to keep moving, although moving slowly.....still moving.
At least you saw deer! That's always a bonus.

I did get to try out my shooting with heavy cold weather gear on and heavier than normal gloves with a finger tab, and I was surprised how well I shot while dressed up like that. Killed lots of leaves.

Offline macksdad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2010, 08:57:00 PM »
Gotta love that snow!
Hoyt Buffalo   #45@28,#50@28, #55 @28, #60@28
Hill Country Wildcat 52#@28
Hill Country Wildcat Static #57@31
Rick Welch Accuracy Factory

Online swp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2010, 09:23:00 PM »
Chris,

Usually I am done after a couple of hours of cold but today it wasn't too tuff. Tomorrow AM should be a good morning to go....too bad I gotta work! Hope you guys get to be out in it chasing them.
"People say you can't go back, its like when you get to the edge of a cliff and you take one more step forward or you do a 180 degree turn and take one more step forward. Which way are you going? Which one is progress?" Doug Tompkins

Offline Steve Humphrey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2010, 09:47:00 PM »
I like huntin in the snow too guys but be carefull what you wish for, a few years back I wished for a little snow to hunt in and woke up on Christmas eve to 32" on the ground. Couldn't get out of the house let alone into the woods...........didn't know I was so persuasive.
We have made a start in discovering the meaning of human life when we plant shade trees under which we know full well we will never sit. - D. Elton Trueblood

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2010, 10:45:00 PM »
Scott- It's a  balmy 8deg. here right now and the wind is still ripping pretty good. I doubt I will go in the morning, but I might do some coyote calling after the sun gets up a bit and hopefully the wind will have died down by then.

Steve- I like snow, but about 6" is about the max for what I enjoy. Any more than that and it's tough to get around in, especially if it's drifting. A 32" snow is just crazy! That's like Idaho or Montana kinda snow, not Indiana!

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: December 13, 2010, 01:29:00 AM »
Semo, love your back yard! Awesome, love it when it snows.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: December 13, 2010, 07:40:00 AM »
Thanks Jerry, that's pretty much the way 60% of the whole area looks. Cedars, pasture, brushy ditches, and some big timber on the opposite side of us. Lot's of pasture ground around here, and I turned chunks of it into food plots for the deer, turkey, and rabbit on our place.

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: December 13, 2010, 02:13:00 PM »
We got a fair bit yesterday and last night.  Saw a few fresh deer tracks this morning but for every fresh deer represented by them, we saw sign of a couple dozen coyotes.

Bah - they need to die.

Lots of coyote tracks

Coyote tracks and a cool BK-2

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: December 13, 2010, 02:56:00 PM »
I'm getting ready to go after a few myself this evening. They are thick as fleas around here and I have got to start working on them.

Gonna put the blind out and call, they should be getting pretty hungry right about now?

High today was 18deg.F and some snow still on so that's a perfect recipe for coyote killin'   :thumbsup:

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: December 13, 2010, 03:24:00 PM »
Originally posted by SEMO_HUNTER:
I'm getting ready to go after a few myself this evening. They are thick as fleas around here and I have got to start working on them.

Gonna put the blind out and call, they should be getting pretty hungry right about now?

High today was 18deg.F and some snow still on so that's a perfect recipe for coyote killin'    :thumbsup:  
Hope you knock 'em stiff!

Offline ripforce56

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: December 13, 2010, 06:29:00 PM »
We had about 2 inches on the ground Sat nite and it was just about right for hunting! between 2am and Sunday afternoon we got slammed with over a foot of snow, after that the high winds and real cold air took over never got out of teens today and with wind the chill was below zero! Usually our snow here in Dec is Lake  effect! When I was hunting Sat nite the wind was coming heavy out of the East so I knew we were in for it! I hope to get my snowshoes out and do some scouting as the weather is suppose to be a lot better toward the end of the week!
BirchBark Rovers Custom Quivers 
Bama Royal Expedition T/D  #00027
Root Target Master 66in 40@28
SF Forged Plus/Carbon Elite 40lb Limbs 68in ILF
Schramm Recurve 62in 46@28

Schramm 62in Recurve 46@28

Offline Huntschool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: December 13, 2010, 06:44:00 PM »
SEMO...

Chanel 3 (Razor) just predicted an ice event for Wed evning through Thur.....

Here we go again.  I got to fill all the gas cans for the generator....

Did not get out today except to take care of the bird dogs and go to the shop and work on some arrows.  Classes did get cancelled and thats Finals.. We moved today to Thursday and now that don't look good. Every county school system over here was closed.

I hope this breaks.  I was to give my last final on Wed. and then I was going to hunt....  Oh well, perhaps more arrows....  No.. I am gonna order a new bow..  That should break the cycle.
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator (retired)
Southeastern Illinois College
NSCA Level III Instructor
Black Widow Bows
AMM 761

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©