3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Need to wrap my grip  (Read 174 times)

Offline bad arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
Need to wrap my grip
« on: December 12, 2010, 10:56:00 AM »
I have a Martin Savannah and it needs the grip wrapped. I've ordered the leather grip material from 3Rivers and thought I followed the video instructions (he made it look so easy) but I just ended up with shelf scraps and barge cement all over me. Such beautiful laminations and it almost seems a shame to cover it up but its almost too slick. I really like the beaver tail wrap with a nice baseball stitch. Anyone here that does this? Thanks all....Phil

Offline joekeith

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Need to wrap my grip
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2010, 11:00:00 AM »
I think Big Jim could help ya out with that.

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2010, 11:02:00 AM »
I wrapped two wood bows recently. My Dad's old Howard Hill style bow and another smaller bow, I used thin calf leather I bought from a local leather shop's scrap box. I punched holes with a plier type leather punch and did the cross stitch sew-up.

They looked nice. I wet the leather while stitching it and both dried nicely to the bow and conformed well.

Good luck on your wrap.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2010, 09:43:00 AM »
badarrow,

If you need a piece of leather I can go by the leather shop and look in their scrap box.

Just let me know if you'd like some and I'll get by there sometime. It may take me a bit though.

It's a dice roll on what he has but give me some color choices. I have some white leather now that would work as wrap material. It's dimpled to look like ostritch, I think.

Bud
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline bad arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2010, 09:57:00 AM »
Bud, thank you for the very generous offer but I think my days of leather work are over due to me massacring the expensive leather I already bought. I think I'll look up BigJim and just send it off. Whats sad is there is a leather shop near me. I walked in thinking that it'd be easy for them but they only sold premade motorcycle leather saddle bags and jackets. Looked at me like I was an idiot for bringing a bow in! I probably just need to search our sponsors here on TradGang, I'm sure I'll find someone. Thanks again....Phil

Offline cbCrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2010, 02:02:00 PM »
BA, why don't you try what I use, which is tennis racket wrap. You can get it at any sporting good store, 4rolls for $6. And it comes in different colors. I even use it on my new excellerator to prevent slipping. The stuff works great.  :archer:

Offline BamaBarebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2010, 04:49:00 PM »
We sometimes use wrap for hockey sticks, come in different colors and its cushioned.(I think its the same thing as the tennis racket) I recommend it highly, it feels good in your hand and is a non slip grip.
Bama Bows Hunter 53lbs @ 28”
Genesis 27:3

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2010, 07:39:00 PM »
If you're not committed to leather, 3rivers has some grip choices you could do yourself cheaply. I've used the Suregrip and it works well and looks fine. The posi-grip looks better. Another option, especially if you want to see as much wood as possible is a saddle. You might even have a piece of that scrap big enough for that. Here's a link to 3Rivers bow grip page:

http://www.3riversarchery.com/Bow+Accessories+Grips+%2526+Material_c46_s212_p0_thumb.html
"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©