3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Best Climbing Stand For Bows  (Read 531 times)

Offline Koko Bow

• Trad Bowhunter
Best Climbing Stand For Bows
« on: December 12, 2010, 01:01:00 PM »
Any input on a climbing stand that is bow-hunter friendly?  I seem to think the ones without the shooting rails would be better but.........
Like arrows in the hand of a warrior are the children of one's youth. Blessed is the man who fills his quiver with them! ~ Psalm 17

Dryad Epic

Re: Best Climbing Stand For Bows
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2010, 01:17:00 PM »
from my expirence dont plan on sitting, and leave the hand climber down low so your bottom limb will clear it at release, i ruined a nice bow when it caught the climber arm.
any of them will work just check your clearence before settling in....and dont forget to strap the climber real tight to the tre so it dosent slide around the tree when you put your weight against it to reach out around the tree for a shot.......

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2010, 01:23:00 PM »
Lone Wolf hand climber for portability.  Summit for all day comfort.  I took a Summit Python and removed the rail.  You van also swing it out of the way if you want to use it for sit down climbing, but I am used to the hand climbing so just put it aside.

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2010, 01:25:00 PM »
Lone Wolf!!!
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2010, 01:29:00 PM »
I have a summit bushmaster. Many years and not one single issue.
I recently tried a lonewolf. Quiet, easy. Just a bit awkward to climb with.
I recently checked out my next stand though at a bow shop. It is called the X-1.

I think each stand has pros and cons...but I think they all fit the bill for being bow friendly.
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline macster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2010, 01:35:00 PM »
I have a summit, but want a lone wolf.

Offline waknstak IL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2010, 01:45:00 PM »
I have a Lone Wolf hand climber. Pros Packs up real slim and adjusts easy, very light weight, really quiet and solid once you are up. No worries on hitting stand with bow. Cons Price, Not the most comfortable stand to sit in for really long periods,comes with really cheap back straps. I use a strap when climbing it makes it much easier. For me the positives far outweigh the negatives.
"You can't have NO in your heart"- Joe Dirt

Offline Spurs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2010, 01:52:00 PM »
I bought a lone wolf wide sit and climb.  I have 2 summits.  One is the open shot.  The summits by far are more comfortable, but the lone wolf is way more packable, and quiet.  If I am on a big deer and want minimal disturbance, i use the lone wolf.
I like Spurs

Morrison Mini ILF copperhead skinned
Morrison Shawnee copperhead skinned

Offline Problem Child

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2010, 01:55:00 PM »
Lone Wolf.I replaced the seat with a Hunt Comfort seat.I can sit for hours now instead of minutes.
"Right Wing Extremists"....has a nice ring to it don't it?

Offline buckeyebowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2010, 02:05:00 PM »
I have an API grand slam bowhunter. It is an older treestand, but this thing is solid as rock. It is also very comfortable. It doesnt have the bar that goes all the way around but it does have two handles that you hold onto while climbing they can kinda get in the way but like arrow30 says if you leave the top part kinda low you the hand rails are usually out of the way for a shot

Offline zinndl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2010, 02:18:00 PM »
I have a Summit Bush Master and I love it, comfortable and longbow friendly (do have to watch the side rails though). I had been wanting to get a Lone Wolf hand climber but the price kept me away; I recently was able to borrow one for a few days and after 2 hours I knew I never wanted to do it again! Pure misery, not made for comfort. To each his own though.
Psalm 19:1
The heavens declare the glory of God;and the firmament showeth his handiwork

Offline Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2010, 02:21:00 PM »
Lone Wolf
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Offline Bent Rig

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2010, 02:45:00 PM »
Loggy Bayou  Lite  -   probably one of the safest and sturdiest(aluminum) because after you climb up the seat folds up and it has a lock down strap that solidifies the stand to the tree
Paul

Offline 2 Barrels

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2010, 02:49:00 PM »
Treewalker by far the best climber out there.Made in the U.S.. Very safe very light and plenty of room and options.
Never trust a bald man with a pony tail.If he's not honest with himself.He wont be honest with you.

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2010, 03:25:00 PM »
There are a ton of topics on this...just do a POW WOW search.

The big issue with asking the question "What is the best..." is you are going to get more answers than you think as everyone has their favorite or what works best for them.

Here is what works for me and gives me choices for each tree and surrounding vegetation.  

1. Summit Razor SS - can be used as a sit-n-climb and then fold the bar up under the seat. Has limited shooting area because of seat design but is not a big deal. It is a relatively heavy stand and bulky when carrying through the woods but it gets easier with practice. I use this stand for long sits when I want to be really comfortable or in an area where I hunt the evening and then come back in the morning...this means stand is left over night.

This stand does need to be silenced a little but is not bad.

2. Lone Wolf Hand Climber - light and easy to use and good for sits up to about 5 hours. I traded into one that has a sit/climb strap which is great and a must IMO. Excellent ability to shoot around the stand...matter of fact best I have ever seen. Also there is a tutorial in the POW WOW on how to make the seat a flip up one. Also the stand comes with lousy shoulder straps and the black securing straps need to go in order to make the seat flip up...this only requires putting a piece of string from the top to the bottom for safety when climbing.

This stand is also metal and needs to be silenced...I am about to use some HSS neoprene tape to silence the parts I need to. Plus I spray all my stands with bedliner and then paint them brown and gray.

3. Guido's web, micro platform, and E-Z up climbing system - by far my favorite system. I use this stand in areas where trees do not lend to using climbers or in areas where I do not want people to see the tree I am using. It is very easy to find my favorite trees with the climbing marks on them.

By far the lights setup I have. Also I am setting more areas for this system than I am climbing now.

Good luck with your decision.

Offline J.Williams

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2010, 03:27:00 PM »
I like my LW handclimber but replaced the stock seat cushion with a thicker,more comfortable one.Bought mine before they moved operations to China and because of some quality issues,LW has decided to move operations back to the U.S.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2010, 04:14:00 PM »
Lone wolf, IMO.  I have an older one with the 2-inch thick foam pad seat cover.  I sit in that dark to dark during the rut.  That's 11 hour days where I hunt, and I don't find it uncomfortable.

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2010, 04:58:00 PM »
I have the summit bushmaster! I don't use it much but when I do, works good, very comfortable! Jason

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2010, 07:03:00 PM »
Summit Bushmaster here too.  One disadvantage it has from the Lone Wolf is that it doesn't fold flat for carrying, but it's about $120 cheaper.  Good, solid, comfortable stand once you're up.
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Offline macksdad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2010, 09:10:00 PM »
Loggy Bayou- Lite
Hoyt Buffalo   #45@28,#50@28, #55 @28, #60@28
Hill Country Wildcat 52#@28
Hill Country Wildcat Static #57@31
Rick Welch Accuracy Factory

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement