3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Getting it back home  (Read 134 times)

Offline stickbowhntr

• Trad Bowhunter
Getting it back home
« on: December 13, 2010, 08:24:00 AM »
We discuss in small circles[my friends] how to get the gear there...if you harvest a Moose or Elk or Bear etc --how today do you get the meat home? I love wild meat and hunt for it as much as hunt for my pleasure so If I am successful I want the game brought home .

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline slivrslingr

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Getting it back home
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2010, 08:52:00 AM »
Flying-Cough up the dough for air freight.

Driving-Bone it out, put it into a cooler, cover with ice, or freeze it, put it in a cooler, cover with ice or put a small chest freezer on/in a trailer and run it off a small generator.  

Meat lasts surprising long when cooled and kept cold.

Offline stickbowhntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2010, 08:59:00 AM »
"Flying-Cough up the dough for air freight."

AS IN "TURN YER HEAD AND COUGH?"...I know , today I can almost afford to go but then all the other costs come into play.It is getting so I can't afford anymore to travel and hunt, was a day when I was younger I could go every year , now...."MY" [as in what Gov't allows me to keep from my work] Money don't go near as far nor do I .

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2010, 09:09:00 AM »
Dad and I put a full chest freezer in the back of the truck. When we stopped for the night we asked for a ground level room by the parking area so we could plug our freezeer in through our hotel room window. It would freeze solid over night and we would unplug and drive our butts off all day again. That worked great, but took up LOTS of space. We had 2 trucks for that trip.

Offline Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2010, 09:16:00 AM »
Southwest lets you have two bags for free. I use a rolling duffle that i got from LL bean that weighs 7lbs empty so i put my take down recurve in the bottom compartment with arrows in a plastic tube. For my other "bag" I bring a empty cooler that way I can bring home 50lbs of meat free. For $50 more I can bring another cooler filled with 50 pounds of more meat. Or I can take some of my clothes out of the rolling duffle and fill the rolling duffle with meat and take the clothes on the plane in a carryon. I've been doingthis for years on my annual hog hunt down to Florida. During the good old days jetblue let you take 3 bags free and they could be 70lbs each!
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©