3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Shorter "D-Style" Longbows ?  (Read 384 times)

Offline ErikT

• Trad Bowhunter
Shorter "D-Style" Longbows ?
« on: December 13, 2010, 01:28:00 PM »
What is the shortest d-style longbow that could expect to deliver reasonable performance in terms of hand shock, accuracy, and all around shootability?  I'm 5'7" tall and hunt mostly from treestands.  66" lengths seem to be the all around standard but I'm curious about performance in shorter lengths such as 64" or even 62". I had a Martin ML10 in 66" once but talk about hand shock!
www.yankeehunter.com
Hunt much? ©

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
Re: Shorter "D-Style" Longbows ?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2010, 01:43:00 PM »
The Martin ML-10 is a beast.  Absolute worst hand shock of any bow I've ever shot, and I'm not terribly sensitive to hand shock.

Regarding optimum bow length, you should let your draw length determine your bow length.  66-68-inches is what Craig at HH recommends for a 28-inch draw.  Can probably knock off two inches of bow length for every inch less than 28-inches you draw.  At 5'7", you probably have a draw length of 26 inches or less so a 64 or 62-inch straight bow would work just fine for you.  Might even be able to get by with two inches less than that. I have seen, though I haven't shot, 60 and 62-inch Hill bows.

Offline TOEJAMMER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2010, 02:02:00 PM »
I have a Monarch Imperial built by the late Monty Moravec that is 60lbs at 27" and 57 inch in length.  Shoots fine and no hand shock.

Offline m midd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2010, 02:09:00 PM »
I have a 58" 60# Great Northern CG Special that shoots awesome with no hand shock
Traditional Bowhunters of Arkansas

Offline ErikT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2010, 02:39:00 PM »
Orien--good point.  My draw length is 26".  The bow I'm kicking around would be a 62" d-style straight-handled longbow.
www.yankeehunter.com
Hunt much? ©

Online paradocs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2010, 02:46:00 PM »
I'm about your size, and find 60-62" to be about perfect for a 26" draw.  This is for mild R/D longbows (Great Northerns in my case).

Online Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2010, 02:54:00 PM »
I mostly shoot Dan Toelke "Super D" Hill style bows. My draw length is 29" and my bows are 64". They are very fast, smooth drawing with no stacking, have next to nothing for handshock, and are quieter than regular quiet!

Offline Hud

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • 360-921-5779
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2010, 03:11:00 PM »
Generally for a traditional American Longbow the draw length and bow length will have the following relationship. Bow length is measured between string nocks, for a laminated/glass bow, with a riser of 14" length.

68" bow 28" draw length
66" bow 27" draw length
64" bow 26" draw length
62" bow 25" draw length

The longer bow length will be the most efficient. If you want to go shorter, look at a reflex-deflex which would allow shooting a 28" arrow out of a 62" bow without any loss.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2010, 04:51:00 PM »
My ability to shoot a Hill bow increased dramatically when I went from a 66" bow to a 70" bow.
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline PZee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2010, 04:55:00 PM »
Falco Bows here in Europe do a 54" that draws to 29" and a 52" that draws to 27"......

http://home.falco.ee/products_eng/falco_bows/falco_longbows/storm/

They seem to be very good bows.

Pete
'Impi! wo 'nans' impi iyeza
Obani bengathinta amabhubesi?'

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2010, 05:00:00 PM »
My Robertsons are D shaped when strung, they feel like longbows, but shoot a faster arrow with less hand shock.  At 26" there is nothing wrong with going to 64" Hill.  Being 5'7" your draw will easily fall into that 62" Robertson and 64" Hill performance stroke without any fear of over drawing.  If I had a 28" draw I would use a 68" Hill and a 64" Robertson.  I will say that my Hill style bows are 66" and 68", tillered to be efficient at 26".

Offline Leland

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2010, 06:47:00 PM »
I shoot a Dwyer Defiant 60".My draw length is 28"and it shoots just as nice as my 66" bows.The best thing to do is try different bows at some of the expo's if possible.
Leland

Offline hawk22

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2010, 07:02:00 PM »
great northern critter gitter!

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2010, 07:13:00 PM »
I shoot a 62" Mohawk and love it!!   :D    :thumbsup:

Toejammer, Do you have any pictures of the Imperial bow to share. I don't think I have ever seen one before.

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline Dick in Seattle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2010, 07:29:00 PM »
For true D styles, i.e. not RD's, length does help.  However, being handy does, too.   I'm also 5'7" and have a 25", maybe close to 26" draw.  I have had two 60" Hill take downs and loved them.  My current hunters are 61" and 62".   I will qualify that by noting that they are not heavy bows, 38# and 42#.   Might not like them as much at 50#!   My regular "go shoot all day" bows are all 66" and built for smoothest possible draw, arrow speed be damned.
Dick in Seattle

"It ain't how well the bow you shoot shoots, it's how well you shoot the bow you shoot."

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2010, 08:21:00 PM »
I have a 60" Howard Hill Big 5, never a problem shooting this bow, is it as smooth as my 68" Cheetah, nyet, but the again nothing else is.
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Offline momo-t

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2010, 10:07:00 PM »
Eric Your spot on about the Martin ML-10.Good shooter but nasty on the elbow. You should take Paradocs advice. I'm shooting a 62"Great Northern Bushbow  that he graciously sold to me and let me tell you it's a real sweet shooter. But saying that I must add that I recently purchased another GN from a fellow Tradganger. The 56" Critter Gitter Special is surprisingly smooth and shock free.A little more string angle than the regular length longbows but if you close your eyes when you shoot you'd swear this thing was longer. If you get a chance take one out for a test ride,I'm sure you will be pleasantly surprised. Take care
Mo
Hill Big Five
2 Bear Longbows,  Montana/ Bruin

Cari-bow Silverfox longbow
The harder I work
The luckier I get

Offline newtotrad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2010, 10:20:00 PM »
I am planning on getting my first Hill style bow soon and decided on a Tembo from Craig Ekin.  I am 5'8" with a 26" draw and have been back and forth and back and forth between going with a 66" or 64".  I have about decided to go with the 64" to get the most out of the limbs at my draw length but may have Craig make it on his stringfollow form in order to make up for any loss in smoothness or forgiveness going with the shorter length.  Decisions. Decisions.

Offline DngrsDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2010, 11:07:00 PM »
Hmmmm....now I feel like some kinda freak.   :eek:  
I'm 5' 7" too, yet I draw 29"

So what is the shortest bow I should look at?
I'm shooting a 66" GP, but want to sometime in the future, when funds allow, to get a shorter set of limbs in a slightly lighter weight than the 52# I draw now. Nothing wrong with the weight I shoot now, just want a set shorter and lighter.

~never noticed that my knuckles dragged the ground before~   :D
If something seems too good to be true it’s best to shoot it, just in case. … Fiona on “Burn Notice”

Offline DngrsDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2010, 11:42:00 PM »
~DOH!~   :knothead:  
Went a few posts down from this one (58 inch bow)and found the very answer to my question.
Why I love TG.   :thumbsup:
If something seems too good to be true it’s best to shoot it, just in case. … Fiona on “Burn Notice”

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©