3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: which recurve? NEED OPPINIONS PLEASE  (Read 907 times)

Offline $bowhunter$

• Trad Bowhunter
which recurve? NEED OPPINIONS PLEASE
« on: December 13, 2010, 02:43:00 PM »
hey guys my parrents told me that for xmas i get to pick out a recurve (awsome!) i was put on a $350 maximum limmit. i really would rather have a new recurve. it has to be 50# and atleast 58" long that is able to have a 30" draw lenght capability. opinions really are needed. ive been looking at the samick red stag and the bear grizzly hunter any reviews or comments are helpfull thanks guys
steven
"SHOOT STRAIT" - something im still working twards

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: which recurve? NEED OPPINIONS PLEASE
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2010, 02:47:00 PM »
Don't forget to look here on the classifieds.You can find some custom bows used but like new for $350.

Offline $bowhunter$

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2010, 02:53:00 PM »
yea i seen there on the classifides and i love to order a custom but my parents said they just want to go to cabelas or bow shop  to get it instead or messing with the internet. ive looked at 3 bows and am stuck on which and why. 1 bear grizzly hunter 2 martin x150 3 sammick red stag

i would like to hear some reviews and comments on all of them and others that would be a good reliable bow.
thanks,
steven

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2010, 03:01:00 PM »
if  you go to cabelas you can shoot the grizzly and the martin and decide from there.  my 0.2 cnts.

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2010, 03:08:00 PM »
The advantage of actually handling one when buying cannot be overlooked.  Grip feel is a big part of enjoyment for a recurve. Also, with a custom bow, it may be 14 ot 18 months before you receive it.  

You and I share a 30" draw length and you may find some recurves don't accomidate that well.  I have pulled (or tried) 58" bows that got ugly before my anchor was reached, not just in weight stacking but in finger pinch.  The good news is some designs, notably the Bear Kodiak Hunter, pick up a turn of speed from working the tips beyond the 28" draw.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Online Stykbowslim

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2010, 03:13:00 PM »
Expanding on what Stumpkiller said... consider a 60 / 62" model for a 30" draw.
"Keep your nose in the wind and your eye along the skyline."

Offline Buckeye Trad Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2010, 03:16:00 PM »
Like stumpkiller said, you want to go somewhere that will let you shoot a couple of the ones you want.  Also as stykbow said, you should really consider a 60 or 62 inch model if you truly are drawing 30".

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2010, 03:19:00 PM »
Check out Timberhawk bows that Lost Nation sells, good price on good bows.

Offline $bowhunter$

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2010, 03:22:00 PM »
i have a 68" bow now and its a little long for hunting (still can be done just hard to manuver) and since every1 said about a 60" bow then the sammick red stag fells in there. any opinions on sammick?

Offline $bowhunter$

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2010, 03:35:00 PM »
someone has have to have uses atleast 1 of these bowS?

Offline BobCo 1965

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2010, 03:43:00 PM »
I have tried Samick in the past and they do have value.

They are more well known for their target bows IMO however and they do hold World Records in that arena.

-And they are made in Korea. In case that sort of thing is important to you.

IMO, I would tend to steer you toward the classified adds here. You would get more bang for the buck looking in the used market. There are a lot of good bows that are just as good as new for half the original price.

Quesion, why are you set on a 60"? Being new to trad and with your long draw, I would not recomend it. FWIW, I hunt with a 64" recurve and have a 31" draw and it fits in a blind or tree stand just fine.

I'd also recommend going lighter in weight. At 30", a 50# bow will be more like 55#'s.

Offline Paul WA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2010, 03:46:00 PM »
Put a couple of hundred with the 350.00 and get what you want...PR
"I'm a trophy hunter till something else comes along"

Offline $bowhunter$

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2010, 03:57:00 PM »
the only reason i ask about this is because since i am sorta new to trad archery (2nd year) im not so up to date on bows and equipment and was hoping there would be some nice productions bows people could recomen in the $350 pirce range.
thanks for all your help,
steven

Offline BobCo 1965

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2010, 04:04:00 PM »
Didn't mean to discourage you at all. If you really have your heart set on an in stock bow at Cabelas, then I would do with others have mentioned and just go and shoot what they have in your price range. I'm sure you will be able to find the right one for you. Best of luck and let us know how you make out! Stick with it.

Offline BlacktailBowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2010, 04:14:00 PM »
I shot a Red Stag and the Sage at a local shop.

I ended up buying the Sage for my step son. He shoots it very well.

The Sage runs about 130 bucks and the Red Stag was about 200.

A Tradgang Sponsor Lancaster Archery sells the Samicks as well.   http://www.lancasterarchery.com/index.php?manufacturers_id=14&osCsid=basksgb15uogkes6s3mjfasn06  

I believe the Samick Sage and Deer Master are both 62" AMO.

Have you thought about a Longbow at all. You can get a Maddog Mutt for 220 plus 40 for shipping and tax. They are a custom bow and shoot extremely good.     http://www.maddogarchery.com/    

I don't think I would pay the "New Price" for a Bear or Martin when they can be had on the classifieds for half the price.

Checkmate Bows are not much over 350 brand new and are known to shoot very good.   You can have a Check Mate custom made for your draw length. That is probably worth the extra money.   http://www.recurves.com/sabre.html    

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Paul
Join a credible hunting organization, participate in it, and take a kid hunting. Member: U.S. Sportsmen's Alliance, NWTF, Oregon Hunter's Assn., Oregon Bow Hunters and  Oregon Foundation for Blacktailed Deer.

Offline greg fields

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2010, 04:18:00 PM »
I'd have to agree with Bob....  classifieds first.  I feel you could get a much better bow for the amount you will pay at Cabelas.....

Offline $bowhunter$

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2010, 04:41:00 PM »
yea i thought about a longbow. but since ive never had any exsperience with them i just kinda put them off to the side. is there a true huge performance defference between longbows and recurves?

Offline BamaBarebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2010, 04:45:00 PM »
Recurves are faster than a Hill style longbow but thats not always true if you get a high performance R/D longbow..
Bama Bows Hunter 53lbs @ 28”
Genesis 27:3

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2010, 05:40:00 PM »
The Quinn line of bows are priced really well about $275 new I think. Havent' heard anything bad about them at all. You might check them out! Jason

Offline 59Alaskan

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2010, 06:02:00 PM »
I know you said recurve, but I have heard good reports on the Bear Montana.  At your length a 62-64" bow would be great to start.

Perhaps you can get to a shop and shoot a couple of different kinds.
TGMM Family of the Bow

"God has given us two hands, one to receive with and the other to give with.” - Billy Graham

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©