3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: wensel woodsman vs. snuffer  (Read 441 times)

Offline snow leopard

• Trad Bowhunter
wensel woodsman vs. snuffer
« on: December 13, 2010, 03:36:00 PM »
i did a search on the site pertaining to this topic, and came up empty. i am asking for opinions from those who have used these 2 heads in an attempt to reach a decision on which head to use for spring turkey, and do not wish to spark any controversy. so, this being said, what would your preference be, and thankyou for any input.
"the symbol is not the reality"

compton traditional bowhunters
wisconsin traditional archers

Offline dbishop

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: wensel woodsman vs. snuffer
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2010, 03:45:00 PM »
Well, I probably wont be much help because I have not gotten to shoot anything with either one yet.  But I will say I have spent a lot of time sharpening each one and although I can get them both extremely sharp, it was easier with the woodsman. Also, the woodsman is a little closer to the 3:1 ratio a lot of people like.  The snuffer is a little shorter in relation to its width.  The both seem to fly well out of my bows.  For turkey, I would not think it would make a hill of beans.  You might want to use heavier heads just because they are not vented and may be quieter.  I don't know if the heavier snuffers are vented or not.

Dave

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2010, 03:48:00 PM »
What is your setup ? How many pounds you shooting ? Lots of folks use the 160gr Snuffers on birds. If you are shooting lots of weight the WW would probably blow right thru. Most like the arrow to stay in the bird if I am not mistaken.
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2010, 04:20:00 PM »
Any sharp BH penetrating and hitting the dixie cup sized 'quick death zone' will do.

The key is to have a set-up and shot placement which will immobilize the bird as quickly as possible.

Size does matter in significantly improving the recovery rate.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline snow leopard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2010, 04:27:00 PM »
they would be shot thru a 50# longbow, arrows spined 50-53.

Offline Onions

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2010, 04:36:00 PM »
I would highly recommand the WW. I shot a 50lb 'curve, had trouble pushing the big snuffer. So I switched to the WW. Have had great penetrattion (on many many deer).....with many complete pass throughs.

chris <><

Offline mnbearbaiter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2010, 05:16:00 PM »
The 160 Snuffer is an awesome head for turkey! I like its larger cutting swath, cuz a turkey is a tough animal/target for a trad bowhunter! Small vital zone, i have missed it before when a turkey took a step forward and i got a gut shot instead! Recovered bird easily, feathers, and a "Good" bloodtrail for a turkey!

Offline brian brooks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2010, 05:53:00 PM »
I have shot and killed turkeys with both,and had pass-thru on every turkey with both.Right now i,m partial to woodsmans,for deer,but the snuffer does blow a bigger hole which i like on the turkeys.That being said i would prefer snuffers on turkeys.Been thinking about a rubber washer behind the head to maybe avoid shooting through them.I,m shooting with 55# out of the best bow i've ever owned,a TallTines
brian brooks

Offline SERGIO VENNERI

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2010, 06:43:00 PM »
Snuffer, they just keep on bleeding!Been using them since 1976, with no penetration problems!

Offline Morning Star

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2010, 07:26:00 PM »
160 Snuffer all the way.  The 160 head does alot of damage and gives a better chance of the arrow staying in the bird, which can be very important at times.
Iowa Bowhunters Association - Your voice in Iowa's bowhunting and deer hunting issues!

Offline stevewills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2010, 07:35:00 PM »
snuffers...havent had a bird go over 20 yds with one yet
i like biscuits

Offline Lee Robinson .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2010, 07:43:00 PM »
They are both great, but I kept my snuffers and sold all my WW. When penetration is a "concern" I grab my 2 blade Abowyer or 2 blade Zephyr broadheads.
Until next time...good shooting,
Lee

Online Ken Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2010, 07:56:00 PM »
I have used Woodsmans 125 gr. to kill some stuff but they were not heavy enough for me for different reasons.

I use the 160 gr. Snuffers to kill a lot of stuff.

The last animal I killed this season was with a woodsman elite 190 gr.... I love them.

We don't have those big flying lizards up here but I would use 160 gr. Snuffers on them.
May your next adventure lighten your heart, test your spirit, and nourish your soul.

Offline snow leopard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2010, 08:10:00 PM »
thanks very much for all the responses. at this point, i'm leaning toward the 160 grain snuffer, but a little concerned if a 50# bow will handle them. thanks again.

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2010, 08:28:00 PM »
Snow, I wouldn't hesitate to use the Snuffer. 50# is plenty. I sometimes use them with a 40# bow.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline greg fields

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2010, 08:34:00 PM »
I like the 160's myself, but penetration, at least on deer can be a concern IMO....

Offline michaelschwister

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2010, 08:35:00 PM »
I have only shot one turkey with a bow and it Was a snuffer. Sure did the job.
"The best thing to give to your enemy is forgiveness; to a friend, your heart; to your child, a good example; to a father, deference; to your mother, conduct that will make her proud of you; to yourself, respect" - Benjamin Franklin

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2010, 09:04:00 PM »
I've killed a number of deer with 160 Snuffers, with bows from 50 to 65#, and penetration has always been fine. Never lost one with the Snuffer.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline kadbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2010, 10:07:00 PM »
160 snuffer for turkeys.
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Association
Grand Mesa Bowmen
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Tuttu

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2010, 12:39:00 AM »
I've used both heads and had good penetration with them.  I've been lucky enough to kill a couple moose with a snuffer.  With one moose, I had a complete pass through.  I also had a complete pass through on a brown bear with a woodsmen.  I would not hesitate to use a snuffer with your set up (especially for deer or turkeys).  Best of luck.
Chuck

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©