3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: ol adcock  (Read 346 times)

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
ol adcock
« on: December 13, 2010, 05:12:00 PM »
how rare are ol adcock bows? three piece longbows that are ol adcock signed.i know where one is and the guy wants 1500 for it.to much? its wood riser and very nice.what is your opinion on them? thanks.
IT'S NEVER WRONG TO DO WHATS RIGHT AND NEVER RIGHT TO DO WHATS WRONG.....LOU HOLTZ

Offline grouseshooter002

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: ol adcock
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2010, 05:30:00 PM »
PaPa,
    I've been watching that bow and he will never get that price. Maybe $750.00, but not much more.

Grouse

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2010, 05:33:00 PM »
i kinda figured it was pretty high.
IT'S NEVER WRONG TO DO WHATS RIGHT AND NEVER RIGHT TO DO WHATS WRONG.....LOU HOLTZ

Offline sam barrett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2010, 05:50:00 PM »
Never say never.  When I was getting into trad and joined this site a few years ago OL Adcock bows were almost biblical on this site.  They were easily commanding $1200 or more and people were gladly putting down deposits to wait 3 years for his bows.  I don't know if he'll get that money now, but a few years ago people would have been lining up to buy that bow at that price.  Btw, this is not a bash at all, just what I saw in reference to his bows.

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2010, 06:20:00 PM »
Before A&H started making them I've seen the OL Adcock ACS bows go as high as $1800 to $2000 on the big auction site.But I don't think they will go for $1500 now,but you never know.I wouldn't pay that much,my A&H shoots excellent and is a solid bow.

Offline Yellow Dog

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2010, 06:25:00 PM »
I'd go with a new or used A&H. You can go new for alot less than that and John and Larry will stand behind it 100%. Don't know if you can get that kind of backing on a used Adcock. JMHO.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online highcountry

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2010, 06:53:00 PM »
I have several of OL's and an A&H.  The $$ for OL's second hand were .... well way up there.  They would be the one's I keep if I ever was forced to sell my collection.  I have one from OL and his price was well below the market price. Strange, he was selling less than what everyone was buying them for. Says alot about the man. He said he sold them for what HE thought they were $$ for. The A&H is a super bow. I paid for OL's because I have great respect for him as a person and bowyer. They sit with my Paul Schafer. Once you shoot one you will know what I am saying.

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2010, 07:17:00 PM »
well...i am not planning on buying this bow but was more just a curiosity thing.

Offline Lee Robinson .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2010, 07:40:00 PM »
Does a NEW A&H not shoot just as good as the OL bows? I thought they were the same bow. Maybe they are different...I don't know.

That said, I personally would rather have a new one made by people that would stand behind their product...but that's me.
Until next time...good shooting,
Lee

Offline rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2010, 08:11:00 PM »
i've sold two original OL Adcocks in the last 3 months...1 for $850 that was in "like new" condition; the other one went for $800 in very good condition. Some unsuspecting soul might pay $1500 for one, but it wouldn't be worth it to me.
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline macksdad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2010, 07:25:00 AM »
1500 sounds pretty high
Hoyt Buffalo   #45@28,#50@28, #55 @28, #60@28
Hill Country Wildcat 52#@28
Hill Country Wildcat Static #57@31
Rick Welch Accuracy Factory

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2010, 08:29:00 AM »
OL made a lot of contributions to archery with his ship-board research that he readily shared when he retired and started building bows.

His dedication to his parent, during a period of failing health the past few years is admirable, but has caused much grief with his would-be customers from posts here.

I will always be indebted to the man, but after a 2.5 yr wait for a bow I ordered many years ago, I allowed him to return my deposit and moved on.

The ACS limb design was/is unique. Whether John and crew are building the same quality into the overall A&H bow or not, can be reported by those who own/shot both.

But like Highcountry, I respect the man, his knowledge and the friendship he showed over the years leading me by the hand through learning to tune bows to arrows.
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline killinstuff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2010, 08:40:00 AM »
The other nice thing about the A&H is you can change limbs and risers around to find what works for you. Can't do that on an OL because the limbs were made to fit the riser.
lll

Offline Andy Cooper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2010, 10:50:00 AM »
Originally posted by Doc Nock:
OL made a lot of contributions to archery with his ship-board research that he readily shared when he retired and started building bows.

His dedication to his parent, during a period of failing health the past few years is admirable, but has caused much grief with his would-be customers from posts here.

I will always be indebted to the man, but after a 2.5 yr wait for a bow I ordered many years ago, I allowed him to return my deposit and moved on.

The ACS limb design was/is unique. Whether John and crew are building the same quality into the overall A&H bow or not, can be reported by those who own/shot both.

But like Highcountry, I respect the man, his knowledge and the friendship he showed over the years leading me by the hand through learning to tune bows to arrows.
Does O.L. still live in Roswell, NM?  I spoke with him several years ago, but have been unable to contact him lately.
:campfire:       TGMM Family of the Bow       :archer:      

My Father's bow rack is the sky.

Offline stickhorse

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2010, 10:53:00 AM »
killinstuff--may be true with some of the early ones, but i have a set of OL limbs and they fit perfect on a A&H riser.

Offline Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2010, 11:35:00 AM »
It is funny how even with bows we have "price bubbles" that get dictated by supply and demand.
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Offline TDHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2010, 12:01:00 PM »
A&H both shoot the same, Ol's are great bows but you don't get anything more for your money but a name. Both great bows!

Online highcountry

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2010, 10:04:00 PM »

one of Ol's gems. Curly maple and matching on the limbs.  If my kitchen boss knew what I paid.   :scared:

Offline AdamH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2010, 10:10:00 PM »
Only if it's worth it to you, Me, No, too many others out there that'll perform as well or almost ... Good Luck ...

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2010, 01:21:00 AM »
Highcountry, that is a piece of art!
I have 3 A&H 3 pc bows, my original bow had very early limbs tillered by OL himself, the second bow arrived later with A&H tillered limbs. Both bows were 50 @ 28 and shot pretty much the same; smooth, quiet and very fast. Recently my son and I switched to 64" limbs from  62" and these are the best we have shot.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©