3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Denton Hill for a 5yr old...  (Read 451 times)

Offline gobblegrunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Denton Hill for a 5yr old...
« on: December 13, 2010, 05:12:00 PM »
I'm anxiously awaiting August so that I can take my 5yr old son up to Denton Hill to camp for a weekend. (this'll be our first trip there) I noticed that there are several different weekends of Trad gatherings to choose from, and I want to give him the best possible experience. Which weekend would be best suited to take my young son to? (STAR, ETAR,PCBF, or SMBS?) Does it matter? I know its a bit early yet, but I've gotta get my vacation time locked in once January is here so that I'm sure to get the dates that I want! Thanks very much for your help!
"It's not about inches or antlers..."     ~Bill Langer

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Denton Hill for a 5yr old...
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2010, 05:26:00 PM »
ETAR is a great experience for everybody.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2010, 05:43:00 PM »
I started taking my daughter to shoots at age 5 and she enjoyed it, although we didnt camp - just went on day trips.  That first summer I took her to both STAR and ETAR (as well as some smaller shoots).  She really liked the ski lift ride up the hill at ETAR.  I think your son will have a great time at any event.

What part of PA are you from?
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Online 1/4 away

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2010, 05:45:00 PM »
Derek, FYI Denton Hill is always the last full weekend in July.  Fred
Do not follow where the path may lead.  Go, instead, where there is no path and leave a trail.

Offline hawkeye n pa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2010, 05:55:00 PM »
Had my 2 year old grandson at Denton last year and he loved it.  

And as Fred said the last full weekend of July, The Sunday MUST be in July.
Jeff
>>>>---------->
Fear of the Lord is the beginning of Wisdom.

Offline Wapiti Chaser

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2010, 06:02:00 PM »
STAR is a great shoot ! Not too big and not too small. A hay ride in the evening for the kids is a hit.
" Take a kid bowhunting"
New York Bowhunters BOD
PBS Member

Offline Steve G

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2010, 06:08:00 PM »
Etar is a Large and Great Shoot, I had a difficult time finding a spot to camp and I arrived 1 day early, it really seems to get filled, but ask others their experiences,

Offline gobblegrunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2010, 07:51:00 PM »
Thanks everyone for the great feedback! I'm sure I'll see some of you at whichever one we're able to go to. Lookin' forward already to it!

jsweka, I'm currently from Quarryville which is just south of Lancaster, near the MD line. But, I went through jr.high and high school in your neck of the woods. I lived in the small town of Milroy just a bit south of you in Mifflin Co., and my family has a hunting camp just north of Bellefonte (Unionville, to be more specific) at the top of the mountain along Rattlesnake Pike, if you're familiar.

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2010, 09:22:00 PM »
Yep, I know Milroy and Rattlesnake Pike - up near Black Moshannon.  I've done some brook trout sampling in that area (I'm a fish biologist).  Nice country.
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Offline BTW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2010, 09:38:00 PM »
Hard to beat ETAR, my 3 and 5 year old girls love it. Camping fills up fast, but still can be had.

Offline BOBBO NJ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2010, 06:28:00 PM »
They are all great shoots. I've been taking my 3 kids to Denton Hill since they were in diapers. They are now 13, 16 and 17. Great time with a great bunch of people. If you are close to Jersey there is a traditional shoot in May that is great for the kids. Appalation bowmen run it and set up a very nice shoot.

Robert

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2010, 12:54:00 PM »
I'd like to bring my daughter but she gave up archery on me  just like that!  right after I had a maddog bow made for christmas last year and she never wants to shoot now  :(   ,,,, anyway I thought it was fun seeing all the kids having a goodtime shooting their little bows at denton hill, the armish kids running around and just hearing the young kids with thir cousins and friends mamas and papas all on the courses together..   I'm from the north and not only seeing that many kids with stikbows and hearing all the diffrent accents was a cool experience for me and my wife--> it really is a place for kids that are interested in archery and meeting new friends from all walks of life.
"Us vs Them"

Offline Jack Guard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2010, 01:12:00 PM »
I have only been to ETAR but its fantastic.  Lots to do and several ranges to shoot.  Kids will love it.
TGMM Family of the Bow
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline VTer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2010, 04:09:00 PM »
Originally posted by gobblegrunter:
 Which weekend would be best suited to take my young son to? (STAR, ETAR,PCBF, or SMBS?) Does it matter?  
STAR and ETAR are the traditional shoots, PCBF and SMBS are compound as well. I've never been to STAR but I've heard its a shooters paradise. ETAR has everything and I would recommend that one for you and your son.
Schafer Silvertip 66#-"In memory", Green Mountain Longbow 60#, Hill Country Harvest Master TD 59#

"Some of the world's greatest feats were accomplished by people not smart enough to know they were impossible."
    - Doug Lawson.

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2010, 05:49:00 PM »
Plenty of kids shooting at ETAR to hang out with.  They seem to have a ball.  They have a kid's practice range and a kid's course too.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline mahantango

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2010, 06:01:00 PM »
I've been camping at ETAR with my son since he was about six, and he's soon going to be fourteen. Very kid-friendly, but the camping can be tough unless you get there early. Just a fabulous event that shouldn't be missed by anyone remotely interested in traditional archery.
We also try to hit STAR when we can. Much less crowded and great courses. Not many vendors, but a real shooter's event. Nice camping area and a small motel unit on site.
We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline gobblegrunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2010, 09:21:00 PM »
Great, thanks very much for all of the great feedback. The trend seems to be: "get there early in order to get a camping spot"...how early is "early" exactly?

Offline Jack Whitmire Jr

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2010, 07:38:00 AM »
I wouldn't camp with them there if I was you, not a good experience IMO . WAY to crowded for my liking, last time I was there someone set a tent up in the middle of the night that I could touch from my front door , NEVER again . just my opinion . I would go somewhere else with the kids.
Tolerance is a virtue of a man without any  Morals- unknown author

Offline Jack Guard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2010, 09:18:00 AM »
I have only been to ETAR but its fantastic.  Lots to do and several ranges to shoot.  Kids will love it.
TGMM Family of the Bow
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2010, 01:15:00 PM »
I used to take my daughters to ETAR but the filthy bathrooms and showers soon put an end to it. We even saw a man taking a bath in the creek! Not something you want your little girls to experience.

I haven't camped there in years so things might have changed. At least the porta johns aren't overflowing like in years past. I stay at a local B&B and am glad I don't have to sleep in the mud.
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©