3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Need honest opinion fellow Tradgangers!  (Read 310 times)

Offline mnbearbaiter

• Trad Bowhunter
Need honest opinion fellow Tradgangers!
« on: December 13, 2010, 09:33:00 PM »
I didnt quite get the answer i was looking for in my last thread titled My 2011 Setup! Heres my debocle, i have grown to love the 160gr Snuffer for its ease of sharpening and its bloodtrails! Ive used it as my goto for turkeys with great results, and also deer and a big bear over bait as i stated earlier! I shoot a #55@28" Bear Montana longbow! It will be loaded with my new arrow, the German Pines from KK! I managed to get them to 550gr as stated before, they end up being 675 with a 160gr head! I adjusted brace height and feel i found the bows "Sweet Spot"! Im goin on a elk hunt this year, and was just wondering if my setup would enough to get quality penetration on an elk inside of 30yds? Im right around 15% FOC! My bow loves these arrows too boys, quiet, snappy speed and penetrate my target a tad better than the 640gr Douglas Firs that i used to harvest the aformentioned animals! Now remember there is a difference between full penetration and a passthrough  :)

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Need honest opinion fellow Tradgangers!
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2010, 09:39:00 PM »
Yes! No doubt about it.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2010, 09:42:00 PM »
Surely.

I would have lots of confidence with even less on a broadside shot with super-sharp broadheads.

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2010, 09:45:00 PM »
In one word, "yes".
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline greyghost

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2010, 09:51:00 PM »
Absolutley!

Offline Steve Clandinin

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2010, 09:54:00 PM »
Your set-up sounds ideal for Elk or any other big critter.Just get confident in your shooting and put that arrow where its suppose to go.I love the 160 grain grizzly ,I find they fly exactly like my target pionts.All the best.
Quote from Howard Hill.( Whenever he taught someone to shoot) "Son make up your mind right now if you want to target shoot or hunt as theres a world of differance between the two"

Offline kadbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2010, 09:57:00 PM »
I would not use a 160 snuffer on elk, it is just too big/wide/steep for my liking on elk.  JMO  I like the lower profile woodsman on my elk arrows.  This bull was taken with a woodsman, pass thru.

Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Association
Grand Mesa Bowmen
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline mnbearbaiter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2010, 09:59:00 PM »
Ok that was easy:) I soaked the arrows in Watco Danish Oil for 6 days, dried 'em for the same and then did 2 hand rubbed Spar Urethane finishes! The arrows put on around 100gr of weight after being in that soak, which surprised me alot! What is it that gives my projected setup the nod with a 3 blade head vs many others on here?

Offline mnbearbaiter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2010, 10:05:00 PM »
I need the 160gr head for spine, and i have already cracked the code on how to get the WW to 160gr! A split shot softened with heat in a field point, and then poured into the ferrrule of a broadhead and forced forward with the point taper of an arrow until it cools! Works well! The WW is my other possible choice, but just for the elk  :thumbsup:

Offline kadbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2010, 10:09:00 PM »
What about the VPA heads, a solid low profile 3 blade.  I like the snuffers for deer and turkey but WWs for elk.
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Association
Grand Mesa Bowmen
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2010, 06:09:00 AM »
Originally posted by kadbow:
What about the VPA heads, a solid low profile 3 blade.  I like the snuffers for deer and turkey but WWs for elk.
I feel the same way, last time I was out west I had WW for the elk hunting, and Snuffer 160's for deer and pronghorn.

The solid 160gr. VPA Terminator would be my choice....
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline longbowray

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2010, 07:26:00 AM »
i have kill 2 elk with WW arrow wieght 580gr pass through on both with a 60 lb @ 27  HH longbow  and the last one was a 54@27 HH with a 540 pine arrow . i shot snuffer when i shot more weight 65 and up  , my 2 cent
BOWHUNTTER FOR LIFE

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2010, 08:04:00 AM »
I've posted this before. Dan Quillian used a 160 Snuffer to shoot completely through a record-class grizzly bear on a quartering shot. I think grizzlys might be a little harder to penetrate than elk. Several inches of hair, hide and fat just to get to the goodies. I've shot a 1 1/2 inch wide three blade through a smallish elk myself.

Each to his own, but I'll use a Snuffer on anything in North America. Big holes!
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline mnbearbaiter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2010, 08:17:00 AM »
Thanks everyone, the verdicts in Wensel Woodsman it is! One question though...Minus the internal footing jig(which i dont have), is there any other/better way to add weight to a broadhead than adding softened lead shot and forcing it into the front space of the ferrule like i have been doing? It seems to work slick, just a certain size split shot heated in a field point so i dont damage broadhead, and when its good and hot i pour it into broadhead ferrule and jam tapered arrow into it! When cooled the weight doesnt seem to come out very easy, and its not much extra work to get the 35gr needed!

Offline zipper bowss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2010, 09:03:00 AM »
If you are looking for a heaveire broadhead.VPA's come in heavier weight as a glue on 160 gr,190 gr.,and 250gr.
Bill

Offline Fischman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2010, 12:03:00 PM »
As long as your broadhead is razor sharp and you get great arrow flight with that weight you should not have a problem on elk MHO.
YOU HAVE TO STAND FOR SOMETHING OR YOU'LL FALL FOR ANYTHING !!!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©