3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: GFA quiver  (Read 268 times)

Offline longbowben

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
GFA quiver
« on: December 13, 2010, 11:05:00 PM »
Tell me your honest opinion of the quiver good and bad.Thanks i always wear a backpack to and from my stand.Thanks
54" Hoots 57@28
60" MOAB 60@28
Gold tip, 160gr Snuffer
TGMM Family of the Bow
USAF 90-96 69TH Bomb Squadron

Offline Kris

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: GFA quiver
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2010, 11:32:00 PM »
The jury is still out for me, on this one.  I started out the season using mine again, as I really like a clean bow, but then became annoyed by having one more thing to bring along or carry.  The quiver works well by design and is everything G. Fred says it is.  On follow-up shots, for me, there is no better place to have a second arrow handy but from a bow quiver.  If I didn't have to carry arrows, I wouldn't...but for convenience and efficiency, it's hard to beat a well designed compact, quiet bow quiver!

I will say that from a Double Bull blind for spring turkey hunting, I will always use my GFA quiver, as I strongly prefer having a quiver-less bow for maneuverability and simplicity.

I would guess that most of us own several types of quivers, so commitment to one or the other would never be necessary, there is freedom with choice.

Kris

Offline greyghost

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2010, 11:42:00 PM »
Pro: Very versital, worn many different ways with or without backpack.

Con: Snags in brush.

This is just what I experienced but have only tried it three times. A friend let me borrow his.

Offline Canadabowyer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2010, 12:05:00 AM »
I love mine.It is the best broadhead serious hunting quiver I have tried.With pack or fanny pack it is easy to get through the thick stuff by tucking the quiver under my right arm and holds the arrows rock solid. I even fell on it in a big tangle of brush and no danger of getting cut because it held the arrows so securly. During hunting season I always have 4 broadheads and 2 flu-flus with hex heads for grouse. And when actually making a stalk I have one broadhead arrow in a final stalker tied on my bow.Now for stumping or target or 3-D its not the answer. The very thing that makes it a good broadhead quiver, the secure holding of the arrows, makes it inconvenient when shooting lots of arrows.For that use I use a side stalker quiver.Hope this helps.  Bob
"non illegitimus carborundum est"

Offline BrianfromTulsa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2010, 12:13:00 AM »
It is the only quiver I use now.  Very versitile.

Offline onewhohasfun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2010, 06:59:00 AM »
I like it better than my arrowmaster (too noisey). Works great with a backpack. I added a small belt clip to the hood for ease of hanging when on stand. Added a fletch cover. Took me an entire season to get used to it but I like it best.
Tom

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2010, 07:28:00 AM »
It's all I use anymore. If it snags on the brush for you greyghost, fiddle with the strap length.....I am always shifted it to a different spot on my body based on terrain.

I think you are either a bow quiver guy or an off bow quiver guy....I used a bow quiver a little this year for the first time in years. While it was of high quality and everything a bowquiver should be, I just didn't care for it being attached to the bow.

With the GFA, my arrows are never in the way, my lightwieght bow stays light, the arrows aren't bobbing around everytime I shift my bow hand.

The only "con" with it happened this year, and it was because its so comfortable to wear....I was walking back to camp and a buddy picked me up. As I climbed into his truck he said 'watch your arrows!" as I tried to slam the door on my quiver. I had thrown my bow in back, but forgot I was wearing the quiver. I bent it a little, but it was ok.

It's a great quiver. I cannot imagine something better coming along (at least for my use).

Offline longbowben

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2010, 08:11:00 AM »
Thanks i really like the quiver on the bow but for my HH bow i thought i might try a different quiver.Not sure what im going to do.
54" Hoots 57@28
60" MOAB 60@28
Gold tip, 160gr Snuffer
TGMM Family of the Bow
USAF 90-96 69TH Bomb Squadron

Offline bornagainbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2010, 08:28:00 AM »
Originally posted by Kris:
The jury is still out for me, on this one.  

On follow-up shots, for me, there is no better place to have a second arrow handy but from a bow quiver.  
Kris
I feel the same way.  I like my GFA, but there is just convience with a bow quiver.  The point that many folks are making about it being versitle is very true.  I have no problems carrying the quiver with my pack.  I use a backpack with a LocOn Windwalker strapped to my backpack and the GFA causes no problems.  

The buckle addition to the hood is a great idea, never thought about that.  It would make storage of the quiver while in the stand alot easier.  I just loosely ratchet strap it to the tree.

Oh, and it looks cool.  I got the moosehide one from Ron LaClair.  I asked Ron to sign the quiver for me and he did.  Now mine has Ron LaClair's signature along with G Fred's.    :thumbsup:  

God Bless,
Nathan
But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. Psalms 3:3

Offline BTW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2010, 08:42:00 AM »
I used to be back and forth with a bow quiver versus a back quiver. With the problem of a need for a backpack and somehow figuring out how to wear a quiver too or strap the quiver to the backpack. But I never really liked the extra weight and lopsided "feel" of a bow quiver.....So I have settled in with the GFA the last two season with good results.  I have a single arrow skookum quiver on my bow for quick access at all times.  The backpack is always on with the GFA over that, with the arrows down by my waist. Or sometimes the bottom of the quiver goes right into the packs exterior pocket with a velcro strap holding it to the top of the pack.  If the strap is on the "loose" side, the quiver will tend to settle near your waist.  So if you want it to stay more around your back, you need to make it tighter or somehow use a clip to keep it from sliding.  I really like its simplicity.

Offline DHR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2010, 08:51:00 AM »
Not a bad way to go, but for me the convenience of a bow quiver can't be beat.  In a stand the GFA style didn't cause me many problems, but moving around I found it fairly annoying.
Because hunting is a deep and permanent yearning in the human condition, there is a chronic fury in all people to whom it is denied.- Jose Ortega y Gasset

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2010, 09:26:00 AM »
That's all I've used for the last 4 or 5 years...not a GFA but my version of it made from a Selway bow quiver. Carries well, quiet and out of the way and can be attached to your backpack if needed.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline longbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2010, 03:00:00 PM »
I love mine and I've had them all.  I loaned mine to my son because he was using flint knapped heads and didn't want them jostling together in his back quiver and now i need a new one!

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2010, 04:04:00 PM »
For hunting with broadheads it is the only quiver I use.  So many ways to use and carry it.
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive Council Member.

James V. Bailey II

Online SuperK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2010, 05:43:00 PM »
Can you carry it with the hood almost straight down and the feathers right behind your shoulder blade? (in a near verticle position instead of horizonal)
They exchanged the truth of GOD for a lie,and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator-who is forever praised.Amen Romans 1:25 NIV

Offline SL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2010, 09:39:00 PM »
When I used one I would take a small piece of bungee chord and a carbineer clip- tie it to the neck close to the hood. set the strap so the feathers were up behind my shoulder then clip the carbineer to my belt loop. this kept it from flopping around and also kept it from snagging on brush.
SL

Offline rp65

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2010, 09:57:00 PM »
I tried it, but could not get use to it and went back to my selway.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©