3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Whats really needed for making your own arrows?  (Read 401 times)

Offline GWC

• Trad Bowhunter
Whats really needed for making your own arrows?
« on: December 14, 2010, 12:27:00 AM »
Im about to start gettn some stuff together to make my first attempt at making my own arrows.I was wondering what supplies are needed.I know i need shafts,tapering tool,feathers,nocks,points.
gotta get a fletcher.i know the basic things.But im wondering about the stuff for finishing them off.I know i need a crestor,but what type finishes go with what cresting paints?and another question,if i wanna crown them and stain the bottom section of the arrow,guess the cresting covers where the colors meet.but wouldnt i wanna put a final clear coat over it all after its finished?just wondering what i should use since i guess some products shouldnt be applied over the cresting paint?sorry if i seem kinda clueless,but im still tryn to figure the steps out.and i think i'll learn alot quicker by just doing it.im planning on getting what supplies i can in the classifieds here and the rest i'll order but can anybody recommend a good video on making arrows?might be a good place for me to start.I appreciate any advice given,thanks,Ross
Just Takn A Day At A Time

Offline Hud

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • 360-921-5779
Re: Whats really needed for making your own arrows?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2010, 12:48:00 AM »
Glad to see your interested. Rather than try to rewrite a book, may I suggest the following.
1.  Search on TG for subjects on arrow building, and look in the Book and CD Forum.
2.  Go to sponsors sites and pick thru their info.
3.  Call or go online to 3Rivers and Kustom King because they carry most of the stuff your looking for, but check the Arrow Building Forum, because it will save you lots.
4.  Don't buy an expensive crestor to get started, either just cap dip and stain or add the wraps. Crestors are expensive.
5.  Do a Google search for cheap books, etc on arrow building.  There are some very nice but old small books on the subject. You may find a neat website with information.
6.  Collect the information, and put it in a spiral notebook, because your not going to remember everything.
7.  You will usually find ads in the Traditional bow magazines for all kinds of shafts etc.
8.  Go to the start of Pow Wow and look for Newbies by Rob DiStefano. He is also selling a complete collection of Instinctive Archer on CD, there will be info and past articles for $15+
9.  If there is a Trad shop near you, check out their sources.
Good Luck.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline GWC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2010, 01:44:00 AM »
thanks very much for the advice.it helps and i'll look around some.thanks again,Ross

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2010, 05:56:00 AM »
money 'n' tools 'n' smarts 'n' some time on yer hands ... or basically what hud said.  ;)
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Lost Arra

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2010, 07:25:00 AM »
I sure hope a crestor isn't required because I've made lots of arrows without one.   :)

Offline fish n chicks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2010, 09:46:00 AM »
Definitely check out the bowyer's bench. You didn't mention it, but spining your arrows should be a SERIOUS consideration. Here is a link with a simple tester I made based on many testers found on the site.

http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=125;t=004573

Start off with a simple arrow with fletching and tapers for your points and nocks. After your arrows become consistent, then think about prettifying them. Good luck and have fun with it.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2010, 09:51:00 AM »
Two very important pieces of wood arrow making equipment are a grain scale and spine tester.  Without them, you may have pretty arrows, but they won't be closely matched in spine or weight.

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2010, 09:57:00 AM »
PATIENCE
Coffee and a pack of Marlboro helps to.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline magnus

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2010, 10:42:00 AM »
You have one of the best tools needed. Trad Gang! Research  old post and ask questions. This site is a great resource. Most of all have fun.

Keeping the Faith!
Magnus
Keeping the Faith!
Matt
TGMM Family of the bow
 Turkey Flite Traditional  
[email protected]

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2010, 01:43:00 PM »
I would also suggest a cheap belt/disc sander with a angle block for doing nock and point tapers. They can be had way less than $100. And I wouldnt be without my Ace spine tester, its the cheap wall hanger but its pretty accurate. I've gotten some "matched" shafts that were real eye openers.

Eric

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2010, 01:48:00 PM »
Congratulations on making the decision to "roll our own"!  I'd suggest starting basic and moving up from there.  Give me a call and I can talk you thru what you'll need to start at whatever level you want.  217 415 7716

"The Traditional Bowhunter's Handbook by T.J. Conrads is a great source of info.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2010, 02:36:00 PM »
I made these up on my own sometime back. Not the greatest looking but, they sure fly straight and hit hard. I used Surewood shafts, 5" sheild cut feathers, fast dry outdoor acrylic paint, Minwax Stain, Varathane outdoor Spar Urethane to seal and 160gr Ace broadheads to make them lethal! All six arrows came out between 598gr and 601gr.     :D  

Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Offline bigbadjon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2010, 04:50:00 PM »
You can definately get started with very little beyond and taper tool and a fletching jig. As you get more interested you will want a cresting lathe and a spine tester, which are the two most expensive pieces of archery kit you will have beyond your bow. These pieces are the difference between most arrows and top tier.
Hoyt Tiburon 55#@28 64in
A&H ACS CX 61#@28in 68in (rip 8/3/14)

Offline Friends call me Pac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2010, 04:56:00 PM »
I'd suggest the .92 arrow thread located in the how to section.  That was how I got started and I'm very satisfied with the results.
USAF Retired '85-'05

An old hand me down recurve sparked the fire, Trad Gang fanned the flames.  There is no stopping now.  Burn baby burn!

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2010, 07:46:00 PM »
Originally posted by Lost Arra:
I sure hope a crestor isn't required because I've made lots of arrows without one.    :)  
You and me both.
Here's my list:
Bitzenburger style fletching jig, and Arizona fletching jig
Arrow shafts....of all styles and materials
Natural Turkey feathers
Feather chopper
Arrow wraps
Goat tuff fletching cement
Broadhead of choice
Practice and patience   :thumbsup:
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Offline seabass

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2010, 08:01:00 PM »
send me a pm with your info and i will give you a crester.i don't need it anymore.

Offline GWC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2010, 02:17:00 AM »
Seabass,i really appreciate your generosity.thank
you very much.I sent you a pm.and thanks everybody else for your advice.It helps alot.Im really looking forward to doing this.something about hunting with a home made arrow really draws my interest.thanks again.I havent been a member on here for to long yet,but i love this site.truly a great group of people here.Ross

Offline Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2010, 07:17:00 AM »
Ross,
  After talking to you last week at work it just came to mind today that I have a note book/binder I put together about 15 years ago on how to make arrows from start to finish...I have it in my shop and what I did was download everthing from straigtening to dipping and so on... Give me a shout and I'll bring it by my work place and you can get it ...You did a great job on the quiver you made your kids and I am certain you'll do some good looking arrows as well...See this traditional stuff is really addictive isn't it...  :archer:

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2010, 09:00:00 AM »
I know some folks love to do this and have great results. I wish you great success and hope you are the next great arrow artist (sincerely).

I bought some dip tubes, arrow paints, cresting lathe, 100 POR shafts, fletch, etc, . I already had a variety of fletching jigs as I've put together alum and carbon arrows for years.  I didn't have a spine tester or grain scale - duh --I trusted the POR supplier to send me what I paid for.  Maybe they did or maybe not. I don't know because I never checked.

I abandoned the project.  I made a terrible mess with the paints, my arrows were crooked, I had a run or bubble here and there in my paint.  Some of the arrows looked nice (I enjoy the cresting part) but after shooting them in some of my 3-D targets they became black-stained (almost burnt looking).

One of my hobbies is to build model replicas (3-4 feet long) of old 2-4 mast sailing ships. I spent 185 hours on the last one.

Maybe I'll try the wooden arrow making again some day but I'm too happy with my Beman MFX Classics.

Bottom line, if my twin brother ever tries to sell you homemade wooden arrows, pass on them (I don't have a twin).

Offline GWC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2010, 12:35:00 AM »
hey Bowwild,i couldnt imagine spending 185 hrs on a replica.but with patience like that im sure if you ever decide to,you could fine tune your arrow building.iv heard of guys mentioning target burn,is that what that was,the arrows getting like that after shooting?anybody know how to keep from having that happen when the arrows are shot,the turning black?id like to figure that out beforehand.And thanks Keith,id love to read through that folder you have.iv started a notebook also,just reading through the posts and taking notes and just ordered a couple arrow building DVD's.I plan on sticking with it until i figure it out.Really appreciate all the help and advice.Ross

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©