3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: FOC Calculator differences..which is right?  (Read 378 times)

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
FOC Calculator differences..which is right?
« on: December 14, 2010, 01:55:00 AM »
Hi Everyone,

I've been playin around with some new arrrows, new string..new to me bow.

Got curious about what my FOC was as is the rage.
Looked at a few formulas.
Some take into account the tip length some don't.

When I run the formulas I get two quite different results. This is because I'm using fairly long 190glue on tips.

When I use Rob's calculator I come out with 18.4%
When I use a formula that takes into account point length I have 14%.

Not that it makes a lick of difference to the deer, But when talking with people I'd like to know which formula is "Standard".

Thanks
      :thumbsup:
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
Re: FOC Calculator differences..which is right?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2010, 05:24:00 AM »
measure from the depth of the nock to the back of the head - that is, the end of the insert for carbons and alums, or where the head meets the shaft on woodies.

FOC and GPP calculator  ... (note: SAVE this spreadsheet file, then run it)
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2010, 09:36:00 AM »
Ahhh! I like that-now FOC with woodies never looked better!   :bigsmyl:

Offline Fischman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2010, 11:29:00 AM »
Cool, now we can all get on the same page and compare arrows! Looks like my hickorys will go 15% foc. I'll let you know if it helps my shooting knowing though! LOL , Thanks Rob,keep up the good work!!
YOU HAVE TO STAND FOR SOMETHING OR YOU'LL FALL FOR ANYTHING !!!

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2010, 12:55:00 PM »
woohoo...
18.4% with wood and a 190 grn broadhead.
No added wt.
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2010, 01:25:00 PM »
Valley of nock to the back of the point seems to be the standard, and I suppose is OK for comparison purposes.  

As a career aircraft mechanic, I've been weighing and balancing flying things for many years.  If we really want to know what the TRUE FOC balance of an arrow is we cannot dismiss the point in the length calculation.  The point's weight and length are a part of the flying arrow and absolutely are a factor in the arrow's balance.  Easton started figuring this stuff with stubby little target points but a 3" Grizzly broadhead makes a significant difference.   :readit:  

It's one of those pet peeve things; I'll get off my soapbox now.   :banghead:   :deadhorse:
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2010, 02:23:00 PM »
I hear what you are saying Rick.
I agree. The point length needs to be included to figure true FOC.
I'm just wanting to talk apples to apples with people.
As it happens I'm one of those shooting that 3" grizz as well. I was really surprised to see the difference in foc% whether or not you take point length in to account. ( 14-18% depending on which length is used )

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2010, 06:34:00 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Fletcher:
Valley of nock to the back of the point seems to be the standard, and I suppose is OK for comparison purposes.  

As a career aircraft mechanic, I've been weighing and balancing flying things for many years.  If we really want to know what the TRUE FOC balance of an arrow is we cannot dismiss the point in the length calculation.  The point's weight and length are a part of the flying arrow and absolutely are a factor in the arrow's balance.  Easton started figuring this stuff with stubby little target points but a 3" Grizzly broadhead makes a significant difference.     :readit:    

It's one of those pet peeve things; I'll get off my soapbox now.     :thumbsup:

oh, but i left out ...

if the point part was of a very uniform cross section, full length foc would make sense.  however, a field point has a very different length and cross section density versus a typical twin blade.  that alone can skew the foc percentage to some degree, between dissimilar points, since the balance of the points themselves can be very different.  gee, this is really nitpickin' .... and who really cares in the long run?  :D

Offline Huntschool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2010, 06:56:00 PM »
OK, so one more time....  What are we looking for as a good average performance FOC???

What I am looking at right now using Rob's formula is 19.5,  20.3 and 23.7 amoung three set ups.
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator (retired)
Southeastern Illinois College
NSCA Level III Instructor
Black Widow Bows
AMM 761

Offline Dr. Ed Ashby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2010, 12:13:00 AM »
Zradix,

Don’t feel alone! Most folks are confused about the different  FOC measurements different folks use. Here’s a link to the FOC discussion in the Study Updates. It gives a complete discussion of FOC and its effects.

http://www.tradgang.com/ashby/2007prologueupdates.pdf  

Here are a few excerpts from it that might help answer your initial question.

In archery, FOC is specified as a ratio of the location of the arrow's balance point to the shaft’s (or arrow’s) mid-point, expressed as a percentage.

The above definition is sufficiently correct for the common uses archers apply FOC to. However, for the discussions that follow we also need to state the true, precise definition of FOC: For projectiles in flight, FOC represents what percent a projectile’s gravitational balance point is forward of the projectile’s center of pressure (CP). What the heck is the CP? The CP is that exact point where the maximum 'bending force' is exerted upon a projectile during its flight. Note that this true FOC definition relates only to a projectile in flight, and expresses a relationship between the gravitational balance point and the resultant center of pressure of all forces acting on the projectile as it flies through any given medium. Also note that there's no mention of any projectile 'length' in this definition. Additionally, keep in mind that your arrow is still 'flying' during penetration; all that's changed is the density of the medium(s) it's 'flying through'.

The CP of an object in flight is dynamic, and is constantly changing as propulsion forces, resistance forces and forces exerted by moving air currents change. For convenience, the 'practical purpose' formula(s) we archers use merely assumes the CP to be at the shaft's (or arrow's) mid-point. Why we do that is coming up shortly. Note very carefully that the CP (and the genuine amount of FOC) does not - in any manner whatsoever - reflect the point of greatest projectile flex. It indicates the point upon which the greatest flexional force is exerted, not the point of greatest flex. The point of greatest flex depends not only upon the forces encountered in flight (and launch) but also on the projectile's structural design and the material(s) from which the projectile is made.

Is precise FOC measurement critical? Well, yes; if you're trying to calculate a trajectory to guide a missile to a pinpoint target from 2000 miles away, or design an F22 Raptor that can change directions on a dime and darned near fly laterally! For archers, no, precise measurement is not all that critical. All we require is a relative reference point. However, in order to understand Extreme FOC's effects on both arrow flight and arrow penetration you do need to know and understand that an arrow's true FOC is not the same as the 'relative FOC' archers normally discuss; and you need to know what the difference between the two is.

What's the “correct way" to measure my arrow's FOC? The AMO Standard FOC measurement uses shaft-length; ignoring insert, taper and tip (broadhead) length. The other commonly used formula employs the arrow's overall length; including the insert, taper and tip. Which is “correct”? Neither. True FOC is based on the center of pressure. We merely simulate the CP location in both formulas. The AMO formula was adopted as 'standard' merely because, between the two commonly used formulas it uses a simulation point nearer the actual CP location for most commonly used target arrows during flight through air. Just as it is with static spine, the FOC 'number' we use is definitive of absolutely nothing about our arrow's flight.

The commonly used static spine and FOC 'numbers' merely allow us to make a relative comparison of one arrow to another; nothing more. For example, static spine measures relative stiffness of a shaft; how much it flexes when a weight of specified mass is suspended mid-way between two shafts supporting points; which are located a specified distance apart. Everything about the measurement is relative, not absolute. Static spine tells you nothing at all about an arrow’s dynamic spine – how it will react when you shoot it off your individual bow. If you doubt that, perfectly tune an arrow from a true center-shot bow and then measure its static spine on your spine tester. Now take that same arrow and shoot it from a non-center-shot bow (one with a peg rest – no arrow shelf at all) of equal draw weight. What happens? The arrow will shoot massively strong-spine. The arrow hasn't changed; the launch force and power stroke are the same; and the shaft's static spine hasn't changed. However, the shaft's dynamic spine is now no longer anywhere close to correct, and it no longer shoots where you're aiming.

All static-spine indicates is the relative stiffness of the shaft. What it does do is provide you a reference point. This helps whenever you need to find a stiffer or softer spine in order to get your arrow to shoot well from your bow. This is all it does; nothing else. It merely allows you to compare shafts relative to each other, so you can tell which one is 'stiffer' and which one is 'weaker'. Static spine's 'relativity' is precisely why it's necessary to tune your arrow to your bow in order to get correct arrow flight. No static measurement or calculation contends with the myriad variables encountered when you shoot an arrow from your bow. This is why, besides charts, Easton publishes 35 instructional pages on selecting 'the right arrow' after you’ve used their 'static-spine' charts to find a 'starting place'. No chart provides a magic number saying, “Pick me. I’m the right one!”

Commonly used FOC measurements are exactly the same; they are relative. Neither formula is “correct”, nor is either “wrong”. Each serves its purpose equally well; providing a reference point. As long as you know which formula was applied to a given arrow to determine its 'relative FOC', you can duplicate results. If you prefer, you can re-measure and state the arrow's FOC in the other format; that’s perfectly alright. It still provides you a 'relative reference'. For practical applications, either commonly used FOC formula works equally well. Just remain aware that neither genuinely tells you anything at all that's 'precise' about an arrow's true FOC. However, for a given arrow design, when our 'commonly measured' FOC goes up the true FOC also goes up; but the amount we've 'measured' won't indicate the actual amount of change in true FOC. The single most important thing to remember is that the 'relative measurement' method you use should always be stated, so everyone is “reading off the same page” when making comparisons, or trying to duplicate results.

Hope that helps,
Ed

Offline Hud

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • 360-921-5779
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2010, 01:33:00 AM »
It would seem important to add a footnote to each calculation to describe the weight and length of the shaft, broadhead, or field point, and insert. If my goal is to increase the FOC from 19% without adding too much weight, we need to understand what materials are being used, before trying to determine the best option to achieve my goal.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2010, 10:14:00 AM »
The good Doctor is in!

Thank you very much for the education.
Never really thought about this being RELATIVE FOC.
But, you are right.

I've printed the pdf and working on mentally digesting it.

Thank you for the insightful reply.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2010, 05:05:00 PM »
in both long and short run, it's bestest and easiest to use one set formula for an arrow's length during foc calculation- depth of nock throat to back of head.  this way, we're all more or less on the same page, and minor variances ain't gonna matter at all, sez me.  :cool:

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2010, 05:34:00 PM »
Originally posted by Rob DiStefano:
... depth of nock throat to back of head.  this way, we're all more or less on the same page, and minor variances ain't gonna matter at all, sez me.   :cool:  
That is all I was trying to do as well.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2010, 07:26:00 PM »
i should add that, imo, the pointy stick quest should first and foremost be about an arrow of decent 9-12gpp weight that flies true and stable, even if the operator has a slightly "off" day in the release category.  

foc and efoc can be advantages of sorts, but attempting to mess with weight forward shaft balance to an arrow that doesn't fly well to begin with will be a frustrating, losing exercise in both time and money.

and further, whilst padding out the arrow plate can help with a weak spined arrow, if you really pack on the front end grains it may require going up a size in shaft spine stiffness - more so with woods, less so with carbons.  

all of the above is somewhat of a pioneering project that will eat up some time and money.  but without venturing into new territory, you won't know for sure exactly what's over the next mountain.  :cool:

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2010, 12:02:00 AM »
You're right, Ron.  Arrow flight trumps all the other stuff when it comes to penetration performance.  And packing on another 100 gr of point weight with wood arrows will take a good 10-15 lb of spine to get that good flight.  

Wood arrows are limited in how far you can go with FOC.  Between the added point weight and extra shaft weight due to needed spine, total arrow weight gets too much pretty quick.  I'm lucky that I have a bunch of shafts to work with and this stuff is part of my job.  :archer:    :archer2:
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline Fischman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2010, 12:25:00 AM »
Jeeeeezz and i thought watching the flight of them there hickory shafts with elgrandes on the nose was such a simple thing!!LOL- thought this needed lightened up guys!!
YOU HAVE TO STAND FOR SOMETHING OR YOU'LL FALL FOR ANYTHING !!!

Online Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2010, 09:22:00 AM »
Thanks for the calculator, my 55/75 GT's come in at 29% FOC and fly perfectly.
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Offline Pepper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2010, 09:39:00 AM »
Thanks Dr.Ed, for clearing that up.
I think I will continue to use the old standard.
I thank you for you input, it is interesting, and informative, but way too much information for the averge archer.
Your research has provided loads of information for us, and I applaud you for your efforts, the more we know the better we can be.
Archery is a family sport, enjoy it with your family.

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2010, 10:03:00 AM »
Thanks Rob,
I've ended up with 57-59# spine tapered spruce with 3-5" LH shields cut to 28 1/8" BOP. Gluing a 190grn tip on it.
I'm shooting a 45# Martin savannah with just a thin felt window pad. Found an endless 58.25" 12 strand 8125 string works well.
At my 26.75" draw I'm holding 43#.

The arrow ends up weighing 527grains complete. So I'm about 12.25grns/#.
Minimal silencing needed.
Getting about 148 fps. Which is fine by me.
The arrows are cutting... no..poking nice little round holes through the paper.
So I'm pretty happy!
Ends up being a 18.4% FOC setup using your excel sheet.
Now I just need to find something to test it on...lol

Thanks for the help.
Happy Hunting

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©