3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: As I age, I want to be warm  (Read 762 times)

Offline GMMAT

• Trad Bowhunter
As I age, I want to be warm
« on: December 14, 2010, 07:50:00 AM »
Mods, forgive me if this is in the wrong forum.

I'll admit, I've NOT sat in several AM's this year, because it was cold.  I've got "pretty good" camo.  What I've been putting off, is getting one REALLY GOOD cold weather set.

And, no...it doesn't have to be camo, even.  I have the ASAT 3D leafy suit I could pull over anything.

I've been looking at the Cabela's Outfitter wool.  It's priced right.  But, I have no experience with it.  I'm also considering the Outfitter wool from GWW.  I don't have to question the quality, there.  I have some of Jeff's garments, and they're great.

If you're suggesting wool, can you tell me what you're wearing for layers under it?  

Love to have a toasty pair of gloves to get me TO stand and set up.  I've got a system (thin UA gloves/hot hands/muff) covered, once I'm there.

While we're at it, tell me what you have on your feet, too.

It was 18deg. with winds close to 20mph here, this am.  We're typically more humid than some areas.  My buddy from CO froze his nads off here a couple years ago....lol.

Thanks so much, guys.

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: As I age, I want to be warm
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2010, 08:04:00 AM »
When it is really cold, I wear Kennetrek pacs with those heat packets, but for me, that is still not enough when it is zero or below. I'm looking into Muck boots for next season; advertised as being warm to 40 below, and my wife has a pair of them and swears by them.
Look into the Cabelas windshear stuff. I have one of their sweaters, and it is very warm and really does stop the wind.
My solution when it is below zero is to stay at home, unless it is a no wind, sunny day.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline StJoePTP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2010, 08:07:00 AM »
Go with the heater body suit and you will solve all problems.

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2010, 08:09:00 AM »
GMMAT,
I am going to keep an eye on this thread. Like you, the older I get the colder I get. I grew up in the midwest, and I can't believe I used to hunt in zero-degree weather. In those days it was duofold long johns and lots of heavy wool layers. I'll be interested to see the answers you get.
Joe
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2010, 08:12:00 AM »
I used a Therma Care heat wrap in the small of my back last Saturday for the first time. The results were amazing, 18 degrees and a 15 mph wind and I never got the slightest chill, I sat in my stand for 5 1/2hrs. I had plenty of clothes on but would have chilled out with out the wrap. I draped a fleece throw across my lap to keep my legs warm.

Offline cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2010, 08:15:00 AM »
There are a lot of tecnical suit for extreme sports,they don't have to be camo since you cover everything with one of those leafy wear.I love old Chìashemire sweater,they are very light and extremely warm and they are not bulky at all,also some bibs make a great difference since the kidney area is the one you need to protect the most.In the past people was used to wear some kind of belly wool belt to keep that area warm.So above some layers of wool you can wear a wind breaker suit,many to choose from,then a outer shell that is silent enough to hunt in.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2010, 08:16:00 AM »
I have forgotten a heavy wool blanket when you are in the blind or on your stand,it falls easy without noise when you need to shoot.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline mrjsl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2010, 08:18:00 AM »
Lets see. I live in Louisiana. Lots of water and humidity. If it gets down to 18 here with a 20 mph wind, I am not going hunting. A windy 40 degrees is cold as heck here being as you have to get in some kind of boat to go hunting.

I have been out duck hunting when it was 17 degrees here with a 20 mph wind, and ducks were about the only thing out and about then. I have never seen a deer on its feet in Louisiana when the temp was in it's teens. I think they crawl up in hollow trees and shiver.

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2010, 08:20:00 AM »
There has to be a law of diminishing return on cold and clothes.

I like the ulfrote merino(?) wool in varied weights for underlayer. I hear the Cold Gear under garments are great, but not in my budget.

Scarves really help and years ago, like Eric posted, we had these kidney "wraps" for the old stinky Jon-e-Warmers. They worked, but I hated the mess and smell. With the new chem powder hot hands/ hot body, etc... that kidney things is a good bet! The kidneys circulate your blood repeatedly so if you keep that area, and your head warm, you'll stay warmer all over.

Wind chill is another issue mentioned. Only thing I find is that wind barrier clothes often is noisey as all get out in cold temps! There was a time when "comfort max" was a membrane lining that DIDN'T get noisey when cold. I have a jacket in that in fleece, but... it picks up every flippin burr in the woods!

For me, finding a combo of warm, wind-proof but not bulk to shoot a bow is not always easy.

This will be a great thread... but the basics of head and kidney will really help!
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline Eugene Slagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2010, 08:21:00 AM »
Even though I'm not that old yet but I've noticed myself not caring too much for the cold more as time goes by, I'm in the process of slowly acquiring more wool clothing to layer myself with.

I too will keep an eye on this thread to see the different ideas there is & suggestions.
Zona Custom Recurve: 60" 49# @ 27.5".
Sky Sky Hawk Recurve: 60" 47# @ 27.5".
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore, please take thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and hunt game for me.

Offline scbowhnter

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2010, 08:34:00 AM »
You might think this sounds crazy but it's been working to keep my feet warm for a number of years. I wear uninsulated rubber/neoprene knee boots with one pair of heavy socks. Once I'm in my stand i put a chemical handwarmer on the outside toe of my boot. I used to hold it in place with the top off an old black socked. Just stretched over my boot toe. Now I use a small slip over bootie made for that. It works for me down to 18-20 degrees. If I have a long walk I will put a thin liner sock on to improve wicking.

I use the wind blocking clothing when the wind is blowing but on calm days it just seems a bit too noisy for our hyper alert deer.

UA cold gear base layers, fleece pants and wool bibs or UA Ayton pants if not as cold. Up top, coldgear base layer, fleece pull over, heavy wool sweater from LL bean, vest and either a UA Ayton jacket or a Ravenwear bowman's jacket as outer.

The UA Ayton gear is quiet and very warm to me. I have the older jacket and it looks like they changed the cut and pockets on the new ones.

I use a UA beanie or Columbia beanie hat with a short bill and then a neck gaiter. I've used a hand muff some but usually end up using jacket pockets with warmers.

And a thermos of coffee....despite all the points about it actually making you colder, I sure do enjoy it while on stand!!

And you're right, that humidity is a killer...
CJ

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2010, 08:37:00 AM »
mrjsl's post made me think of another issue: Damp cold vs. dry cold.

Living in MT, I could throw on a wood shirt over a t-shirt and put on a hat and gloves and go out and walk around in -20*... but it was like 5% humidity.

Met a old RR man from the Philly area when I first moved out there... he told me "Be careful with this dry cold...doesn't hurt---just kills"

He weren't lying but it was more pleasant and easier to dress for...

He then added that he remembered how back East, it'd be "damp" and cold...and you'd near freeze to death at 30* with every stitch of clothes you owned on ya because the damp eats through everything!

Over the years living out in MT, I learned the truth in all he said, and already KNEW how damp cold can just seep into your bones no matter what you wear!
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline Manitoba Stickflinger

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2010, 08:40:00 AM »
Heater body suit! Believe me....all day sits here in Canada are easy in the suit. I borrowed to my 66 year old father after I was tagged out this year and don't think he's returning it.....Ryan

Offline tg2nd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2010, 08:43:00 AM »
Woolpower (merino wool, formerly called ullfrotte). Have worn it for 10 years while iceclimbing und dogmushing down to -18 degrees fahrenheit. Real great stuff! Holds up for years and warms even when wet.
German by birth, Bavarian by the grace of god

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2010, 08:46:00 AM »
hate the cold.  body is not the issue, it's the extremities - hands, feet, face.  haven't found anything worthwhile yet that will still allow decent movement and clearance for drawing and shooting.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2010, 08:57:00 AM »
I hear you about tolerating the cold. What I have come up with that works, and doesn't make me feel like a Jimmy Dean sausage link, is as follows: Sitka Traverse top and bottom, wool sweater or fleece pullover, hooded windproof Berber Fleece(Cabela's) outer layer, with several adhesive warmers on the inside. On my feet, heavy wool socks, Arctic Muck boots, adhesive toe warmers. On my head, a wool stocking cap and a fleece windproof hood/face mask. Hands, light gloves inside warm mittens. This sounds complicated but it's warm and worth it!

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2010, 09:25:00 AM »
I finally found some really warm, lightweight boots- Mukluks. For my hands, two pairs of army surplus wool glove liners. For my face, a full-coverage fleece face mask. On my head, an insulated Radar-style hat over the face mask. I use Merino wool longjohns, two sets if needed, and a Walls insulated coverall. I add a down vest under the Walls when really cold.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline Bill Kissner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2010, 11:29:00 AM »
For your feet, nothing has worked for me like the surplus "bunny boots". My feet have never gotten cold with them. And the best thing is they are very cheap to buy.
Time spent alone in the woods puts you closer to God.

"Can't" never accomplished anything.

Offline hvyhitter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2010, 11:34:00 AM »
This works for me: Eat something for breakfast(digesting food creates body heat), then wool long underwear, 1 to 3 thin layers works better than 1 thick...tried the UA stuff years ago, it was just as cold as the old cotten stuff so I gave mine to the SA. Boots 1/2 size large,1200 gr insulated, wool socks. Wool sweater vest under heavy wool sweater and wool coat. Wool scarf wraped around neck and wool watchcap. Hands in fingerless gloves inside waist muff with handwarmers. This has worked for me on stand in pretty nasty weather down to about 0 for about 4-5 hours. As it gets even colder, ground blinds and wool blanket around leggs and I have to sit less and move more. Thermos of hot coffee or chicken broth and nuts and cheese to snack on.
Bowhunting is "KILL and EAT" not "Catch and Release".....Semper Fi!

Offline BCD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2010, 11:50:00 AM »
I like the Mukluks as well!
BCD

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©