3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: As I age, I want to be warm  (Read 760 times)

Offline Fischman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: As I age, I want to be warm
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2010, 11:55:00 AM »
I like the ua cold gear for a base layer then polartec over that, then layer with some fleece, berber fleece and if its windy use the stuff with windshear in it. Oversized insulated rubber boots with wool socks, neckgator and salt nd pepper face gear!!
YOU HAVE TO STAND FOR SOMETHING OR YOU'LL FALL FOR ANYTHING !!!

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2010, 12:19:00 PM »
I tried the little toe warmers under my waders this year.  Seemed to work well.  That's about the only thing that suffers in the cold for me.  A freind gave me a surplus neck gaiter this year and I love it.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Day Dreamer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2010, 01:22:00 PM »
I'm saving up for the "Heater Body Suit" I,ve read nothing but good reviews. Also I'm tired of putting on layers upon layers of clothes, it takes a half hour to get ready. Thats another reason I tend to sit the morning hunt out.

Offline Ia Hawkeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2010, 01:45:00 PM »
I found out that the reason I was always cold was not the amount of clothes I wore (although that's important)but that I have hypothyrodism!One of it's symtoms is that you may be cold all the time in even moderate weather.Now that I'm on medication for it, things are much better (warmer)!!!!!!!!

Check it out, can't hurt !

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2010, 02:04:00 PM »
I'm with Bill Kissner, my feet have never gotten cold in bunny boots.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2010, 02:12:00 PM »
I used to use an extra large down mummy sleeping bag and a butt pad on a wood chair.  I made a snow blind put the chair in it.  Blocked some of the wind kept me out of sight and warm on a week that never got above zero.  All that is needed besides that is a small plastic shovel.

Offline Huntschool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2010, 03:26:00 PM »
I have posted on several threads about my "NEW" needs regarding staying warm.  After a bit of open heart work 7 years ago I was told by everyone I would get cold...  Did not happen!  However, after a stent in August, a year ago things are very different.

I now need warm stuff.

I have been using the wool stuff I have had but did not use until it really got cold more often now.  I start with a poly or UA base and then add merino wool over that.  Then go to a 100% wool sweater (Filson) over that with a heavy fleece Jacket outer.  I use loose fitting pants of camo or wool depending.  This combination works for the body and my feet seem to be OK with insulated boots and wool sox.  Actually, its very comfortable both in temp and freedom of movement and not too bulky at all.  

Its my damn hands that kill me.  My fingers turn to ice quickly if exposed once the temps get below about 25.  I use a thinsulate glove on my left hand and stuff my right hand in a pocket with some chem packs to keep it warm.

There are times that the temps reach down to 20 or so and I just do not go sit... walk, maybe, depending on how I feel.
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator (retired)
Southeastern Illinois College
NSCA Level III Instructor
Black Widow Bows
AMM 761

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2010, 03:30:00 PM »
Plan to replace my wool this year, most likely with the Cabelas Outfitter stuff.

As Eric said, keeping your kidneys warm makes a huge difference.  I carry a few of the hand warmer chemical packs and one of the larger size.  When it gets COLD, just open the large pack, work it around a bit until you can feel it start to warm, then drop it down the back of your shirt collar to rest against your kidneys.  A hand muff with a chemical pack inside takes care of the hands and doesn't get in the way when shooting.
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2010, 03:53:00 PM »
I tried to talk my wife into using an ice shack propane heater in a blind, it would work, but she will have no part of that.

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2010, 03:57:00 PM »
As I age, I want to be warm  
We get too soon old and too late smart.

I am adding wool.  I also find I am moving less and sitting more; but I usually split my day and go home for a warm lunch and cup of coffee.  I NEVER used to leave the woods from an hour before sun up to a half-hour after sun set unless I was dragging something.  Getting soft (or smart).
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Online Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2010, 03:58:00 PM »
I get cold easily but this setup has worked well for me. I start out with Carol Davis Sportswear long underwear which are super warm. Then i have a cabelas turtleneck microfleece shirt. Then the cabelas windshear wool sweater and them my KOM bowhunters wool shirt. Thats usually all I need but sometimes i will use a cabelas wool vest too.
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Offline greg fields

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2010, 04:59:00 PM »
When it gets cold, I have a set of 10X thinsulate,  insulated clothes that I bought at a Shyda's clothing barn.  It stops the wind, and I bought it large enough to put a layer or two of insulated underwear under it.   It is only brown in color, noisy if worn as an outer layer, thin and packs really small....

Offline hvac tech

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2010, 10:02:00 PM »
yea i used to like winter when i was a kid . no more .i still think wool is the best i have been wearing those merino wool socks and leather insulated 400 gram . they are good down to about 25 degrees if you are not moving .

Offline Doug in MN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2010, 11:36:00 PM »
I have been hunting in the cold for a long time and have made a few discoveries over the years.

Lots of layers but that is nothing new, you also have to have a way to vent the heat out or shed layers if you start to heat up. If you sweat up when it is 0 degrees or colder you can have bad things happen faster than you think.

Silk, then Merino Wool for the under layers then wool outer wear seems to work for me anyway.

Last Sunday after moving snow I went out for 5 hours until dark. It was -2 when I went out and -11 when I came back with a bit of a breeze.

Silk then Merino Wool UW Top and Bottoms
Filson Mackinaw field pants
Light weight wool shirt
Heavy weight Wool wind blocker sweater
Wool Vest
Fleece Face mask
Wool Stocking cap
Leather Choppers with 2 wool liners (Just wear my tab under the mittens)
Kenetrek Northern Boots

That kept me fine for 5 hours I do bring hand warmers just in case it starts to get cold.

Offline GMMAT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2010, 11:46:00 PM »
We'r enot "frigid", here.  I'm thinking the Cabela's outfitter wool will do me fine.

Can anyone help me on sizing?  I'm 6'1"/190#'s.

Thanks.

I have silk Patagonia longjohns and merino wool longjohns, also.  I use the UA coldgear top with a Filson wool vest and a fleece pullover under a wolfskin (really no thermal value) jacket.  I'm hoping to do away with some of that layering.

I have Kenetrek boots (uninsulate) and love them.  I'll check into the warmer renditions after I recoil from the wool camo hit....lol.

Thanks to all for your suggestions.  I hope it helped others looking on.  It helped me.

jeff

Offline Ed Q

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: December 14, 2010, 11:53:00 PM »
I like wool for warmth, but it can be expensive sometimes.  For legs, underneath I use some Guide Gear poly-fleece I got online for about $19.95 as a base layer and some oversized M1951 Korean War era U.S. Army medium wool pants that I got online for $15.99.  For top, I use the same Guide Gear poly-fleece and more wool over it.  For feet I use a thin base layer of ski socks, then wool socks over them and thinsulate boots.  Plenty of wool caps to keep the head warm.  It's my fingers that eventually get cold, no matter the gloves and mittens I put on.

Offline LKH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2010, 12:26:00 AM »
Hate to tell you this, but as you age you will be getting colder.  It's just what happens and you can't do much except add clothing and use chemical warmers.

I use a sleeping bag in northern MN.  Even then, 4-5 hours is about my limit.

Offline joekeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: December 15, 2010, 01:06:00 AM »
Heater Body Suit.....  :campfire:  It's like sittin' by the campfire.  :campfire:

Offline SOLDIERII

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: December 15, 2010, 05:55:00 AM »
Why I live in Texas? Love them winters, hate my summers. Good Luck
SoldierII

Offline macksdad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: December 15, 2010, 06:54:00 AM »
I like my Muck boots i wear the same socks under them that i wear in the summer and my feet dont get cold.  I also bought a fanny pack hand warmer from cabelas for 30 bucks its 300 gram thinsulate, best thing I have ever had for my hands.
Hoyt Buffalo   #45@28,#50@28, #55 @28, #60@28
Hill Country Wildcat 52#@28
Hill Country Wildcat Static #57@31
Rick Welch Accuracy Factory

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©