3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Whip and LaClair in the TN snow  (Read 471 times)

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Whip and LaClair in the TN snow
« on: December 15, 2010, 03:52:00 PM »
Woke up yesterday to 5 degrees, 20mph wind and around 6" of snow. It came in Sunday night and Mason played on the atv all day Monday with his friends, after all we do not get much snow here. I had to work yesterday but was able to get a few hours to do some scouting today. Again, not often that we got snow to read sign in and I try to take advantange of it when I can. You yanks got it made I tell ya ! Tracks in the snow don't lie. We usually are not afforded this luxury. makes scouting so much easier.

Since we had lots of sidehills and hollers to climb up and down I knew we would want to wear something warm, yet breathable. Hmmmm..... bet some good wool from Whip and Ron LaClair would be just the ticket ! Whip fixed Mason up with this fancy wool lid back at Compton this past summer and I ordered this heavy gray LaClair pullover in Large for me in Sept. Yep, too tight on my short fat frame and fit Mason like a glove ! I will have to re-order me a XL in short/fat for next year.

We had a great time, stayed toasty warm, yet not sweating to death either. God's wool is totally awesome isn't it ? Try as he may, man cannot improve on some things. Could not help but think about Larry and Chris while we were out. Said a few prayers for the Surtees clan while wading the snow and reading the sign. I could not help but think about how many times Larry and Chris did what Mason and I were doing today as a father and son.

When we get back in the woods tomorrow or Friday the deer may be in trouble. The snow confirmed what I thought about Mason's tree...... They have moved about 200 yds down the hill on the other side of this jungle of a clearcut and been giving him the slip. He might have a surprise via a Shrew Classic Hunter coming their way soon.... ?

TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Offline Onions

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Whip and LaClair in the TN snow
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2010, 03:54:00 PM »
VERY COOL! Got to love the snow for reading deer sign. Almost like cheating...almost!

chris <><

Offline greyghost

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2010, 04:01:00 PM »
Sounds like exciting times lie ahead.

Snow, wool, deer sign, don't get much better then that.

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2010, 04:21:00 PM »
sounds like yall going have fun. hunt safe. jeff
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2010, 04:29:00 PM »
Look at 'em, bundled up like Eskimos. A half inch of snow & they think it's a Winter!  :D
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2010, 06:20:00 PM »
Poor Robbie...... livin down there in the flatlands..... different world up here on the Plateau. As I type this we got a nice ice storm going on outside. Wished it would just keep snowing ! We had 15" drifts in our driveway Monday afternoon. One of the most dry snows I have ever seen here. Gas powered leaf blower took the 7" off the cars in a snap !
TGMM  Family of the Bow

Offline Bent Rig

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2010, 06:27:00 PM »
We already passed 53" for this month! Lol !! It's snowin' like crazy as I type this - I'll send you some .
Paul

Offline CheapShot

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2010, 07:29:00 PM »
Absolutely cool pictures Jimmy!!! I love Mason!!!! Look how tall he is now!!!! Hey, don't knock short and fat.....it's all good!!!!!  :archer:
TNGIRL....
>>>>>>>>------------>>
Ye Olde Fartes and Sore Losers,
NGTA, TBG,
TGMM Family of The Bow,
Compton's Traditional Bowhunters

Offline Huntschool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2010, 07:32:00 PM »
Marilyn just looked at the pic's.  I had to tell her that the GUY on the right (first pic) was the kid that said.. "Dad, these may be the best shrimp I've ever had!" (Shawnee Grill)

Man he has grown...  Hope he did not walk yer legs off in them Hoots-n-Hollers down there...
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator (retired)
Southeastern Illinois College
NSCA Level III Instructor
Black Widow Bows
AMM 761

Offline Elkchaser

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2010, 07:58:00 PM »
Snow is great for tracking. I love to hunt in the snow, but when I finished up elk season Thanksgiving weekend I was in thigh deep snow. That was actually a little too much snow to hike around in.
We just kind of take tracking snow for granted most years, though we've had a number of years that it seemed like we were never going to get snow.

Enjoy it while it's there.
No matter where you go; There you are.......

Toelke Lynx RC 58", 51@28”

Offline Brad Davis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2010, 08:57:00 PM »
What a fine looking picture. My son is 7 and we need to make memories like that.
Mommy, where does bacon come from??
Well, a pig sweetheart.
Well how does a pig lay bacon??
Cassie 5

Daddy, what season is it?
Well, winter season honey.
No! What "hunting" season is it!!
Cassie 8

Kids, ya gotta love'um!

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2010, 09:03:00 PM »
Bruce, how bout I send him to you and Marilyn and ya'll finish, " topping ", him out, haha ! Fridge door sounds like saloon doors bout every 30 minutes. Robtattoo nicknamed him, " The grocery disposal unit. " You should see what he carries in his knapsack to the tree for just a 3-4 hr hunt, jeeeez !

Tomi, someone suggested we put a block on his head to slow him down ???

Bent Rig, WOW 53" of snow already !

Elkchaser, sure hope to get to MT one day, always been a dream of mine. I would love to visit in the spring when everything is greening up and shed hunt and trout fish. Then come this time of year for the full experience of a Rocky Mtn winter wonderland.
TGMM  Family of the Bow

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2010, 09:11:00 PM »
Must have been a splendid time and possibly a treasured memory.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2010, 09:15:00 PM »
Now that is one stylish looking young man!   :readit:      :biglaugh:

We all learned yesterday just how valuable those days spent together really are.  Glad you two had a good time!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Huntschool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2010, 09:17:00 PM »
When he gets ready for school....  Send him to me...  But I aint feedin him....
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator (retired)
Southeastern Illinois College
NSCA Level III Instructor
Black Widow Bows
AMM 761

Offline Ragin Bull

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2010, 10:02:00 PM »
Jimmy,

You poor folks livin in the southland don't know what snow is. I can see in the pictures a little dust in the background. We'll have to get you up here so you can really see some snow. 15" is not a drift, thats a little bump.  15" from the eave of the house is a drift. I saw some of those after the snow we had this weekend.
 Btw, it looks like you'll be getting Mason's hand me downs soon so buy him some nice GWW wool.
Great to see that you get to spend quality time together.
 Have a Blessed Christmas season.
Graywolfwoolens.com

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Life Member of Comptons

Offline DW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2010, 11:12:00 PM »
Great Pics Jimmy!
we're going down to visit Larry and family this week-end....he really appreciates everything that has been posted.
Ragin Bull...Chris left a GWW t-shirt at our home on his last visit..Hunted in it all day today...for him.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2010, 12:56:00 AM »
Originally posted by robtattoo:
Look at 'em, bundled up like Eskimos. A half inch of snow & they think it's a Winter!    :D  
Thats pretty funny Rob. I wonder how much wool they would find if they had a little wyoming wind as well.

Really though great pictures. Now you just need a bow!!
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2010, 07:11:00 AM »
Great pics Jimmy!!!

I feel for you on the food issue...I know all about "grocery disposal units".

Regardless how much they eat today, they want MORE tommorrow!

Merry Christmas from our house to yours!  :wavey:

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2010, 08:45:00 AM »
DW, ya'll be safe on the trip down and please pass along our thoughts and prayers for Larry and Family....I want to come see Larry when he is in next time for sure.

RaginBull, no Gray Wolf Woolens for Mason right now.... too much chance of him growing again ! He has got so dang tall that his hand me downs won't fit me either.

I tell you guys, we are in love with wool. The Gray Wolf Woolens vest I bought at Compton this year is my favorite piece of gear besides my Ullfrotte' that brother DW turned us on too about 5 years ago. Did not know how bad we hated polypro until a few mornings in Ullfrotte' ! Mason loves his LaClair longhunter and Whip's wool hat too ! Loves the long tail on the longhunter and his hat keeps his head warm, yet he can still hear good. I might get me a hat at Compton this year too and wear a 200gr Ullfrotte' balaclava under it. I have to keep my head and neck warm as I age. Able to wear less clothes overall if you keep your top knot warm, that is for sure.
TGMM  Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©