3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: I suck  (Read 760 times)

Offline jlbpa

• Trad Bowhunter
I suck
« on: December 15, 2010, 11:05:00 PM »
Deer come by my stand but by the time any of them are close enough to shoot they are all around me and I can't move.  The doe come first and I know there's a nice 6 -8 point buck I've seen that might come by so I wait.   There's a mature doe that is like the sentry.  She's all nose and ears always jumpy.  Night before last she knew something was up I saw her smelling my tracks in the snow.   Tonight she came in first and I could tell she was wondering if something was up again.  She was very very hestitant.  Probably I should have gotten ready and shot her but I hadn't seen the nice buck for a couple days.  I thought he may have taken one for the team and fallen to a muzzleloader.  So I waited to see if he'd come by.   Behind me I hear other deer coming then after several minutes I see big boy out of the corner of my eye.  Then here he comes but no use  even trying to shoot because the does are all around and if I move they all take off.  Oh well, I have until Jan 18th to get it figured out.

Offline Recurve50 LBS

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: I suck
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2010, 11:11:00 PM »
IMO that don't suck at all. Seems that your in the right place. Keep after them and maybe you will get a shot either at Mr Big or Miss Nosey and Alert. Either way meat in the freezer is meat in the freezer. Good luck.
Larry W.

Member TANJ

NRA Life Member

56" 45#@28" Thunder Stick Mag
62" 45#@28" Turkey Creek Longbow
1966 42#@28" Bear Grizley

Offline Cody Schnettgoecke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2010, 11:12:00 PM »
Hunting late in the season like this can be tough since the deer are so alert from hunting pressure.  Stick with it though, and one of these days you'll be able to close the deal.

Offline Mack Marine

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2010, 11:29:00 PM »
You are doing it all right or the deer would not be there. Just have to wait to dot the I. Those old does are the hardest one to get by. Wait for the shot. Good Luck!!   :archer2:

Offline Fischman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2010, 11:39:00 PM »
You'll get it down with a month or more to go, just keep on persisting dude!!This time of year they are jumpy all over the country after thunderstick season!!
YOU HAVE TO STAND FOR SOMETHING OR YOU'LL FALL FOR ANYTHING !!!

Offline JDinPA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2010, 11:41:00 PM »
You don't suck. Positive attitude.
Practice, and don't give up. Good things will happen.

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2010, 11:42:00 PM »
id take her out first, the buck is probobly after the younger does now.

Offline sweeney3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2010, 11:53:00 PM »
What arrow30 said.  Younger does just hitting their first heat.  Old does get to be old by being really smart and alert.  If you get her, you've done as well as getting an old buck, as far as hunting goes, and done much better as far as getting meat.  But yeah, they are all really on pins and needles this time of year.  That's partly why I like Arkansas.  We have untill the last day of Feb to bow hunt.  They settle down some by then, since most of the other hunters are all hunted out by Christmas.  Keep plugging at em, although watch out for sitting in that same spot too much.  They'll change what they do.
Silence is golden.

Offline S.C. Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2010, 12:25:00 AM »
Nope you don't suck. It just happens that way sometimes.
USMC 82-86

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2010, 12:38:00 AM »
That my friend is what you call hunting. It does not always work out with a dead animal, it iis however still a heck of a lot of fun. Even if a little frusterating.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline Jack Guard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2010, 06:17:00 AM »
Jim, No Sucking there,  Thats hunting.  I have spent many days on stand seeing nothing.   you are in the right area.  Stay with it,  it will all come together.  

Additionally, i wont even make it to the deer woods this year.  I am deployed.  So i would take a "suck day" like that anytime.
TGMM Family of the Bow
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline ti-guy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2010, 06:23:00 AM »
It would'nt be fun if it was always easy,I'm sure it was thrilling.
An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward.So when life is dragging you back with difficulties, it means that it's going to launch you into something great.

Offline hvyhitter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2010, 06:25:00 AM »
Sucking is getting excited and dropping your arrow off the bow and have it bounce and ping off a half dozen branches on the way down.........
Bowhunting is "KILL and EAT" not "Catch and Release".....Semper Fi!

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2010, 06:30:00 AM »
nothing cooler than having deer all around you like that,,, I had that happen before too and what I have been doing is practicing for when this happenes agin..  getting my bow from where ever it is hanging or laying and bringing it up to pointing position and then drawing it back and then shooting accurately,,,,,, the thing is I do this so SLOW that my arms start to get heavy because I can barely even feel myself moving. it took me 3 1/2 minutes to shoot one arrow last time I tried this and I'm  not sure if this would work or just a waste of time but I figure I should have a back up plan.
"Us vs Them"

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2010, 06:31:00 AM »
When the activity heats up, I put my lb tip on my boot standing straight up to hide behind. Easier to draw & shoot too.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline greyghost

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2010, 06:51:00 AM »
I wish I sucked like that. LOL

Na, you are having a great hunt. No dought you are in the right place. You have done a fine job by not making any moves and spooking the deer especially big boy and alerting them that danger is near, great job. Otherwise they may stay clear of that area. Be catious on hunting the same spot and it will hopefully work out for you.

Earl

Offline dirtguy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2010, 06:55:00 AM »
Last time out, I flushed 5 deer on the way in to the stand.  I suck worse!

Offline wollelybugger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2010, 06:55:00 AM »
I wouldn't shoot that old doe, she sounds like a smart one and she will get them through the winter. You will have a hard time foolin her because she will be lookin for you.

Offline greg fields

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2010, 07:06:00 AM »
I agree, get that doe first....

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2010, 07:49:00 AM »
If you use a climber go in early and set it up 10 yrds left,right,or behind the tree you usually sit in.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©