3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: I suck  (Read 759 times)

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: I suck
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2010, 07:54:00 AM »
Gotta love bowhunting. Wish you luck.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline longarrow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2010, 07:58:00 AM »
Take your time and WAIT! It will happen! Just a note, if you get the chance to shoot the old DOE, do so! I have 3 like that, they can ruin you day in a breath! Plus they also school the younger deer!!!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Live a Good Life! And in the end, it's not the number of years in your life...it's the LIFE in your years!!!

Offline bornagainbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2010, 08:00:00 AM »
I love it when it happens like that.  I usually keep my LB tip in the top of my Rubber boots, like said earlier, it helps eliminate alot of movement.  When they have your number, ain't nuthin' you can do.

That is what makes it addictive.

God Bless,
Nathan
But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. Psalms 3:3

Offline bigugly1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2010, 08:10:00 AM »
Originally posted by jlbpa:
Deer come by my stand but by the time any of them are close enough to shoot they are all around me and I can't move.  The doe come first and I know there's a nice 6 -8 point buck I've seen that might come by so I wait.   There's a mature doe that is like the sentry.  She's all nose and ears always jumpy.  Night before last she knew something was up I saw her smelling my tracks in the snow.   Tonight she came in first and I could tell she was wondering if something was up again.  She was very very hestitant.  Probably I should have gotten ready and shot her but I hadn't seen the nice buck for a couple days.  I thought he may have taken one for the team and fallen to a muzzleloader.  So I waited to see if he'd come by.   Behind me I hear other deer coming then after several minutes I see big boy out of the corner of my eye.  Then here he comes but no use  even trying to shoot because the does are all around and if I move they all take off.  Oh well, I have until Jan 18th to get it figured out.
I wish I could have a hunt that sucked that bad! Deer numbers are way down in my area of Ontario, I've seen six deer the whole season. I will admit I haven't hunted as much as normal but still six deer in about 120hrs of hunting. Oh and it was three together on two different occasions.

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2010, 09:21:00 AM »
I tell ya, it makes the rewards of taking an animal very special.  Bowhunting game with traditional equipment is a very challenging and rewarding experience.  Keep at it.
Longbows & Short Shots

Online Wile E. Coyote

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2010, 09:57:00 AM »
Try moving the stand where they are not expecting you, or where you are better hidden and can get off a shot. You only suck if you think being surrounded by deer is a failure. LOL
Wayne LaBauve

"Learn to wish that everything should come to pass exactly as it does."

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2010, 10:02:00 AM »
I'd call that the best day's deer hunting I'd ever had!
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2010, 10:03:00 AM »
Your seeing deer.....your seeing bucks, They are in range but you can't get drawn for fear of getting busted. So what's your problem ??? I wish I had your problem!!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Rufus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2010, 10:08:00 AM »
You don't suck, the cards just ain't falling right. Be confident and hang in there. There ain't many worse obstacles around than propeller-headed does.
 Good luck!!!! Ralph!
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Offline BobCo 1965

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2010, 10:15:00 AM »
Originally posted by jlbpa:
Deer come by my stand but by the time any of them are close enough to shoot they are all around me and I can't move.  The doe come first and I know there's a nice 6 -8 point buck I've seen that might come by so I wait.   There's a mature doe that is like the sentry.  She's all nose and ears always jumpy.  Night before last she knew something was up I saw her smelling my tracks in the snow.   Tonight she came in first and I could tell she was wondering if something was up again.  She was very very hestitant.  Probably I should have gotten ready and shot her but I hadn't seen the nice buck for a couple days.  I thought he may have taken one for the team and fallen to a muzzleloader.  So I waited to see if he'd come by.   Behind me I hear other deer coming then after several minutes I see big boy out of the corner of my eye.  Then here he comes but no use  even trying to shoot because the does are all around and if I move they all take off.  Oh well, I have until Jan 18th to get it figured out.
Personally, I would consider that a great day of hunting.   :)

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2010, 10:38:00 AM »
Great title. Made me open it.

Great advice and counsel from others already.

Only one said to move your stand. That was MY first thought... better yet...let the stand you were in where it was and put an old coat in it...then move elsewhere close by in another direction. When the old gal is keeping an eye on that stand... you might get drawn on the big boy... I find big doe meat way better than big buck eatin!  :)
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline highelk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2010, 08:56:00 PM »
I'd have to agree with robtattoo. and BobCo Sounds like a great hunt to me.
Good luck on the buck.
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person."~Fred Bear~

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2010, 09:38:00 PM »
If you decide for yourself that the experience was exceptional, then you are right.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2010, 09:55:00 PM »
You don't suck at all!  If you are getting in range of any deer at this time of year...you are doing something very right!  Good luck!

Offline J.Williams

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2010, 10:32:00 AM »
Sounds like you're in the right spot...all these 'almosts' you're getting is bowhunting,bud.Keep after 'em and good luck!   :thumbsup:

Offline jlbpa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2010, 11:39:00 AM »
I've laid off the stand for a few days. It's a fixed stand built wood platform with built wood ladder.   Last week when I first suspected they might be on to me I tried standing on the ground behind a big tree and some brush 15 or 20 yards from the stand but as their luck would have it this time they came in from behind me downwind and smelled me.   There are some perfect trees for a climbing stand in a good postion for an ambush but I don't have a climbing stand and I have so much stuff already I'm overflowing into the yard.... a Kentucky tradition...but I'm from Pennsylvania....I can't bring myself to throwing more money at a problem.  I'm wondering if I'm hoarder of sporting goods anyway...bows, arrows, fishing rods, guns all out the ying yang,  and tools and lawn mowers a plenty, 2 cars, motorcycle, truck.  I only get away with this because I live alone.   I've been asking around to borrow a climber.  I have one more person to ask.  I know he has a stand he got too heavy to use safely but I don't know if it's a climber.  I might get it anyway if it is a fix stand I'll build a ladder....I forgot to mention I hoard lumber too:-)

Offline smoke1953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: December 18, 2010, 11:42:00 AM »
You have plenty of time to suck but this doesn't sound like one of them.

Offline broketooth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: December 18, 2010, 12:52:00 PM »
ive had 5 missed opps on deer that were that close. that didn't even know i was there until after the shot. i couldnt help but to be so excited. sounds like to me you need to take a chance once in a while. you never know. thats the defenition of luck.. when skill and opportunity meet. taking a chance is part of the equasion. best of luck to you . now go get 'em. ruddy
" you have done well to keep your hair when so many are after it"

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: December 18, 2010, 01:11:00 PM »
Even when the old doe has you marked, you might easily get an arrow into one of the others that's not so vigilant. Like my granny used to say, "You can't hit 'em iffen you don't shoot at 'em!".

I've shot deer before from a group after having been made out by one or two of the others. Survival of the fittest.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline Blasterjdh

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2010, 01:38:00 PM »
Like other have said- sounds like a great hunt  - I bet your heart was pumping... Thats a good thing. You will get it ...

Best of luck...
EOD Motto: Initial Success or Total Failure

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©