3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Warm, Quiet, and non bulky clothing... is it out there?  (Read 885 times)

Offline South MS Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Warm, Quiet, and non bulky clothing... is it out there?
« on: December 16, 2010, 08:04:00 PM »
After reading several threads on Cabela's Wooltimate I order the jacket and pants at  a great price and waited for it's arrival.  It came in today and here is my initial impressions 1. Packaged well for shipment and delivery was fast (about 7 days). 2. Seems to be well constructed although I haven't hunted in it yet.  3. The fit was larger than what I had expected, I'm a typical Large and the jacket is quite a bit oversized. 4. Although I havn't hunted in it, I can tell it will be a warm jacket. 5. It is not as quiet as made to believe in others comments.

My opinion of course but I was expecting it to be a lot quieter. In fact I find the noise factor a deal breaker for the close quarter I have to work in my neck of the woods.

Now i'm not trying to start an online battle to those who really like it, just giving a first hand review of just my first impressions.

Also because i'm still looking for that "Holy Grail" in clothing,  Warm, Quiet, and Not Bulky.

For those who have tried both Wooltimate and Sitka Gear or some other product that has these qualities can you give a Pro vs Con type of review?
Everything I have and have become is due to the Lord and his great mercy.

Offline Spurs

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Warm, Quiet, and non bulky clothing... is it out there?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2010, 08:07:00 PM »
I am ordering the outfitter fleece with windshear.  I have not found anything warmer.  My buddy has a set, and you run one layer of under armour under it and your good to go however cold it gets here in MS.  The windshear is phenomenal.  Best stuff that I have used.  He got rid of his King of the Mountain after getting his windshear.
I like Spurs

Morrison Mini ILF copperhead skinned
Morrison Shawnee copperhead skinned

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2010, 08:18:00 PM »
Spur, the Wooltimate has the windshear and it is noisy to my ears.  Do you think the fleece is any quieter?

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2010, 08:25:00 PM »
fleece is way Quieter fer sure i use it all the time when i do go hunting. and whats more it is warm.  :thumbsup:
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline dcmeckel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2010, 08:34:00 PM »
My wife bought me a really nice Woolrich wool coat.I absolutely loved it;BUT.the lining was so noisey it would spook deer as I drew my bow.Being the wonderful person she is,she removed the lining and replaced it with fleece!Way better!And oh so friendly and warm.

Offline Spurs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2010, 08:34:00 PM »
I agree with Jeff B.  I have lots of wool that is quiet, but it doesn't have any liner to it.  The fleece is so much quieter, and has that windstopping liner.  Just my opinion.  I have worn my old Mossy oak fleece with liner out so I have to get some new.  I like the outfitter camo alot.  It looks more trad.
I like Spurs

Morrison Mini ILF copperhead skinned
Morrison Shawnee copperhead skinned

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2010, 08:37:00 PM »
you guys are lucky we cant get good fleece here. i got mine when i was over in 2007 and its still hanging in there.
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2010, 08:38:00 PM »
Spur so your saying that the Fleece with the same windshear liner as the Wooltimate is quieter?

Offline bad arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2010, 09:03:00 PM »
Just recieved my Wooltimate jacket (waiting on the pants)in High Plains. I don't feel like a big dark blob with this style camo. Having really never owned anything wool my first impression was that it was too thin. I'm only used to thinking that bulky = warmth. Haven't noticed the noise yet. Can't wait to try it all on hunting!.... Phil

Offline Lost Creek Bows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2010, 09:08:00 PM »
Browning makes some super nice cloths. I got a set of Browning Pursit clothing, it's very quiet,no burrs and very rain and wind proof. The cloth is almost like a diving suits material but tougher, the best part is the camo does not fade when washed. They claim it's scent proof, but I still have deer bust me down wind. The price is the only bad part, but I just ended my third season, so it was well worth the money, and my wife says I hunt way to much. I usually hunt 60 to 70 days a year, so I can vouch for its' toughness. Chad
May the spirit of archery always be with you,and keep you young at heart.  www.lostcreekbow-com.webs.com

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2010, 09:12:00 PM »
Chad,  is the Browning line similar to the Sitka?

Offline Arwin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2010, 12:07:00 AM »
Good topic because I struggled with the same thing. I would bulk up on clothes but couldn't draw my bow comfortably.

Best I found was a plain old down filled jacket and snow pants worn under an oversized long sleeve t-shirt/pants or coveralls. The outer layer will quiet down the nylon shell of the coat. The nylon will protect you from wind and dries quickly.

Costs WAY less than expensive wool outfits. Here I am with some Predator snow camo coveralls and underneath is a Wally World coat/snow pants. Good for temps in the single digits for 6-8 hrs.

Just one more step please!

Some dude with a stick and string chasing things.

Offline Lost Creek Bows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2010, 01:03:00 AM »
I've never been around the Sitka gear. I love the Browning Pursuit stuff. The outfit cost $400. But I have seen it alot cheaper now.
May the spirit of archery always be with you,and keep you young at heart.  www.lostcreekbow-com.webs.com

Offline Skipmaster1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2010, 01:43:00 AM »
I have a set of rivers west bibs and jacket and it is super quiet and very warm, not to mention 100% water proof. the down side is the cost and the fact that it won't breathe

Offline pete p

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2010, 04:12:00 AM »
having tried most of the high tech materials out there i seem to gravitate back towards wool. And you dont need the pricey 400$ camo wool either.  check out the wool that Teresa Asbel makes.  I have found that in real cold temps your base layer is as important as the outter layer...you need something that will wick moisture. wool, man has tried to beat a fiber that mother nature has made...not gonna happen.

Offline pete p

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2010, 04:19:00 AM »
also, you should check out the swanndri wool from new zealand.  Paul Brunner sold it back when he owned screaming eagle.  tighest woven wool clothing i have seen, the wind didnt penetrate it.

Online Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2010, 09:35:00 AM »
I start out with good long underwear, the best I have found is from carol davis sportswear. Then I use a fleece shirt, with a cabelas wool winshear sweater with my KOM bowhunters jacket. I'm good for all season with this set up.
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Offline waknstak IL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2010, 09:57:00 AM »
I've personally never noticed an issue with noise with the wooltimate. Mine is soft and quiet. I've killed numerous deer while wearing it in the past couple years all very close, one nice buck at about 10 yards on the ground. I did carefully wash mine according to the instructions after I got it to remove any odors, I don't know if that made a difference, but it might be something to try. I've tried a bunch of stuff and this is the best stuff I've found so far. Some of the real high end wool may be warmer, but I've never gotten cold in this stuff here in Illinois. I've tried on the Sitka stuff too and it just wasn't my cup of tea.
"You can't have NO in your heart"- Joe Dirt

Offline Zmonster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2010, 10:03:00 AM »
Originally posted by pete p:
having tried most of the high tech materials out there i seem to gravitate back towards wool. And you dont need the pricey 400$ camo wool either.  check out the wool that Teresa Asbel makes.  I have found that in real cold temps your base layer is as important as the outter layer...you need something that will wick moisture. wool, man has tried to beat a fiber that mother nature has made...not gonna happen.
Agreed 100%. I too kept coming back to wool. After picking up a set of KOM hillbilly bibs on the auction site and a solid grey KOM bowman jacket I'm set. Only problem I'm finding now is keeping my neck, feet and hands warm without bulk. Mostly feet. Once my feet get cold, my day is done.
Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying,
"Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?"
And I said, "Here am I. Send me!" Isaiah 6:8

Offline katie

• Trad Bowhunter
  • “Lady Hawk”
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2010, 11:11:00 AM »
Longhunter wool shirt.  It is quiet, not bulky and very warm!  A good priced American made shirt!
Check Shrew Bows website.
"Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountains is going home; that wildness is a necessity"  John Muir

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©