3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 8X or 10X  (Read 1025 times)

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: 8X or 10X
« Reply #40 on: December 18, 2010, 06:02:00 PM »
I prefer 8's due to size.

Offline ermont

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: December 19, 2010, 08:29:00 PM »
I thought I liked 8X but I just ordered 10X Cabelas Euros so maybe I like 10X more.

Offline scbowhnter

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: December 19, 2010, 09:05:00 PM »
The good thing about shopping for a new bino now is that there is a lot of good options out there. And what is considered midrange these days would have been top end 10-years ago. Lots of great advances in technology.

I really like an 8x for my hunting and prefer a 32 or 36mm objective. I don't like to use a 10 in that size because of the smaller exit pupil and lower light transmission.

As you age unfortunately your eyes lose some of their light gathering ability so if you find yourself hunting or using binos right at first or last light I would really consider the 8xs.

Another easy thing to do is get a 10 and 8 at a local store (same model bino) and see if you can really tell a difference in magnification. You might be surprised. I notice the difference up close more than at "normal" glassing ranges.

But just like bows, everyone has a personal preference with binos

If you are shopping at a store front retailer make sure you walk outside with whatever binos you're looking at. The light in a store is not the same as what you will be using them in. Most all look good in the store. And spend more than just a quick look. The distance between your eyes makes a big difference on comfort so make sure they fit you properly. And be sure to set the dioper adjustments or you will think think even the best binos are junk. Eyecups can vary so make sure you are seeing a full field of view through the bino you choose as well.

Good luck in your shopping!!
CJ

Offline chopx2

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: December 19, 2010, 09:49:00 PM »
If you have the cash, Leupold makes a bino that has 2 magnification powers. I've not tried them yet as I haven't seen them in a store around here, but sounds like you can get double duty out of one bino.

They call it switch/power

7/12x32 sounds like the ticket for you
and
10/17x42
TGMM-Family of the Bow

The quest to improve is so focused on a few design aspects & compensating for hunter ineptness as to actually have reduced a bow & arrow’s effectiveness. Nothing better demonstrates this than mech. BHs & speed fixated designs

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: December 19, 2010, 10:22:00 PM »
This is as much personall prefrence as anything you could ask really.  

I have two pairs that I use a lot. One is a pair of Zeiss 8*42 Victory II. The are bright with a great field of view. The other is a pair of Brunton 8.5*42 I also have a doubler for these that I can use to make them a 17* spootting scope.

Can you guess wich one I would choose of the 8 or 10.

My Dad will only buy tens.

Go and find a few pairs take them out side and look through them. See what you like and what your eyes like.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline jfelkins

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: December 19, 2010, 10:34:00 PM »
Thanks again all. I've gone with some 8 X 42 Nikon ATB Monarchs. Tons of great info here!
Chekmate TD Hunter II

Love many, trust few, row your own canoe!

Offline gjarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: December 20, 2010, 12:01:00 AM »
I bought a pair of Swaro 10x42 EL, took them back for the 8.5x42 EL.

The 10x resolution wasn't as good as the 8.5x, making your eyes want to focus constantly and in about 1/2-hour of glassing I'd have eye fatigue, also aggrevated by jitter trying to hold the 10x steady.

For hours and hours of glassing the 8.5x42 EL are great, plus they are brighter in low light than the 10x42. If you need to be assessing points for P&Y, you'll need a lot more than 10x anyway... like a spotting scope on a tripod.

Truthfully, 95% of all elk I spot is by the Mod1-MK0 eyeball, followed up with the binos to get a closer look for body/antler size, etc.
1958 Bear Kodiak Special 60#@28"
28.75" BOP Legacy 2018, 19%FOC
Silver Flame Broadheads

Offline Austin Brown

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: December 21, 2010, 07:05:00 PM »
Think you made a good choice, I love my 8x.
Joshua 24:15
As for me and my house,we will serve the Lord.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©