3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Broadhead intangibles, thinking out of the box  (Read 584 times)

Offline Matt Green

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Broadhead intangibles, thinking out of the box
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2010, 10:52:00 AM »
On the clotting/suturing of a smooth cut vs. jagged:  Any physiology book will explain that as the surface area of a cut increases, so also does the clotting factor (i.e. faster clotting). Consider two cuts both 3inches total in length - one is perfectly straight the other is zig zag in shape (jagged like a tear instead of a cut). The total surface area is greater on the jagged 3 inch cut than the straight 3inch cut - the jagged one will clot quicker.
My guess (repeat guess) is the surgeon woudl prefer to sew up a straight cut AND if also possible he/she means that the two sides of a straight cut are more apt to line up perfectly - this would assimilate pressure and speed clotting.
Just a physiological persepctive on this - keep bh's sharp
mg
"If God didn't make an outside, I wouldn't have fun." Summer - my 4 year old daughter

Offline StanM

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2010, 10:58:00 AM »
Originally posted by two4hooking:
It would be hard to maintain a 3-blade, single bevel, file sharpened BH! LOL!
Gonna have to disagree with you there.  Our Phoenix broadhead is just that...a single bevel three blade and they are really easy to sharpen with a file   :D

Offline LCH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2010, 02:25:00 PM »
Shoot what flies where you look keep them sharp, and hit them in the vitals that works best. LCH

Simmons does this best for me.

Offline mnbearbaiter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2010, 08:19:00 PM »
Simmons does some serious damage!!! Buddy of mine who shots 700gr arrows out of a 70# recurve of his own making loves 'em!!!

Offline chanumpa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2010, 08:23:00 PM »
I still remember seeing olFred Bear whipping out his trusty file and touch up his broadhead and headed back out.He did alright.

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2010, 09:59:00 PM »
Originally posted by LCH:
Shoot what flies where you look keep them sharp, and hit them in the vitals that works best. LCH
There be the truth.  A sharp broadhead in the vitals beats a marginal hit or a similar hit with a dull broadhead.  If we could agree on one there would be 2,500 or so different head designs that never needed to be made.  We'll see what the next great innovation is.  Future collectors will be pleased.

I gave up on the last 3:1 head I tried (Modoc Chiefs) 'cause I couldn't file sharpen them.  Just as ChuckC said: the ferrule gets in the way.  The tips curled, as well.  Solved that by shooting a head that's not 3:1    ;)
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline BWD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2010, 06:38:00 PM »
Starting to think the box ain't quite big enough.  :dunno:
"If I had tried a little harder and practiced a little more, by now I could have been average"...Me

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©