3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Flashlight  (Read 842 times)

Offline Northwoods

• Trad Bowhunter
Flashlight
« on: December 17, 2010, 06:19:00 PM »
In talking with some other hunters recently, a discussion came up about using a flaslight to and from your stand in the dark.  

I have usually used one as it seems that the noise from stumbling around, stepping on sticks, etc in the dark would be more of a disturbance than is caused by the use of a light and haven't noticed that it makes much difference in if or when I see deer (how soon after getting settled in my stand).

I'm wondering what other Tradgangers do when it comes to getting to and from your stand in the dark.
Be strong and of good courage, do not be afraid or be dismayed for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go - Joshua 1:9

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Flashlight
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2010, 06:43:00 PM »
flashlight for me.  I hate getting shot  :)
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2010, 06:53:00 PM »
I have always used a light. Hand held or headlamp. A few years ago I walked up on a deer with my red light headlamp on.. turned it on white light and the deer didn't care.. Said Hello and that deer looked at Me and ran off as poop was falling from it's butt.

Offline macksdad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2010, 06:56:00 PM »
I use a light, I'm a clutz in the light its  alot worse in the dark.
Hoyt Buffalo   #45@28,#50@28, #55 @28, #60@28
Hill Country Wildcat 52#@28
Hill Country Wildcat Static #57@31
Rick Welch Accuracy Factory

Offline meathead

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2010, 06:59:00 PM »
Yep I use one.  Hard to be sneaky when you can't see anything.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2010, 07:00:00 PM »
I used a Mag-Light for years, now I use one of the clip on Cyclops led things that goes on the brim  of your hat. Hands free and handy.....great if your going up a tree in the dark.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2010, 07:10:00 PM »
In the dark.  

I suppose if I was in unfamiliar woods I would find a faint light or shoot it through my fingers.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2010, 07:44:00 PM »
I have found that a light does not spook deer...but they do not like shadows in front of a light.
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive Council Member.

James V. Bailey II

Offline wvtradbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2010, 09:16:00 PM »
A petzl headlamp works great ....
"I strive for mediocrity and sometimes achieve it." a close friend

Offline Pepper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2010, 09:51:00 PM »
I use a light, too many surprises out there, the striped kittys can be brutal.
Archery is a family sport, enjoy it with your family.

Offline greg fields

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2010, 09:54:00 PM »
Depends.....  On a trail/path- no light.  Wlking through the woods/unfamiliar place- light.

Offline Fischman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2010, 10:03:00 PM »
Headlamp with green bulbs in it work great, deer don't spook at all.
YOU HAVE TO STAND FOR SOMETHING OR YOU'LL FALL FOR ANYTHING !!!

Offline gjarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2010, 10:24:00 PM »
I hang reflective twist strips from branches to my treestand. However, I stop short of a direct appoach to my stand and make a J-pattern approaching my stand from downwind of the prevalent morning breeze. I use a single low watt LED lamp which will show the reflective strips about 50 yds ahead and illuminates about 15' around my feet. It is a white light and because of the low intensity hasn't spooked game while going in over the last 6 years.

I agree, having a light is good insurance against some overly excited jerk shooting you on the way in to your stand.
1958 Bear Kodiak Special 60#@28"
28.75" BOP Legacy 2018, 19%FOC
Silver Flame Broadheads

Online ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2010, 10:32:00 PM »
I haven't used a light to walk in or out with in years. I hunt private land though and usually mine. If I were hunting public land I would be sure and use one with all the crazys around. Last time I checked deer don't carry lights.
I would've taken better care of myself,if I'd known I was gonna live this long!

Offline Steve Clandinin

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2010, 08:36:00 AM »
Used to carry a flashlight ,now I wear a headlamp.It frees my hands up ,plus where I hunt to many Badger holes.Makes it alot easier if you have to field dress in the dark with two free hands.
Quote from Howard Hill.( Whenever he taught someone to shoot) "Son make up your mind right now if you want to target shoot or hunt as theres a world of differance between the two"

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2010, 08:56:00 AM »
I use the cyclops headlamp, clips on my hat and keeps my hands free. I'm purdy familiar with the places I hunt, but still don't see the sence in tripping over stuff in the dark. Use a light it's alot safer, public or private! JMHO! Jason

Offline agross1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2010, 08:57:00 AM »
I hunt private land and I still carry a light on the walk in in the morning.  I have had to many close calls with skunks not to.  I usually cup my fingers around the light to greatly reduce the output.  Just this season I was walking down the lane to the woods I hunt and for whatever reason, I still don't know why, I happened to shine my light to the side of me and there was a 6 point standing there less than 15 yards away just watching me walk by.  I stopped and we had a stare down for about 20 seconds and then we both turned and walked away.  Made me wonder how many other deer I had walked by in the dark.
Silvertip 60"  54#
64 Kodiak 60"  50#

Offline Danny J

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2010, 08:57:00 AM »
Headlamp hands down. My esperience is Deer dont see the light. They will be in the back yard eating most nights. I will flick the flood lights off and on numerous times and they dont even look up. Ran that test on my dog also. He doesnt notice it either.
IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, PLEASE FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM.

Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2010, 09:05:00 AM »
I'm pretty familiar with my hunting areas and dont like how a flashlight closes out all outer vision and sense of direction outside the beam of light. I do however keep a small maglight in my hand and push the button on and off ever ten steps or so in case other hunters are in the area , they know I'm not a critter.
As far as deer being bothered, I've never seen a deer react badly to light. I've shined light on their eyes many times as I stood still and they hang around. But as soon as my movement ,smell, sound hits them, see ya!
David M. Conroy

Online SS Snuffer

• Trad Bowhunter
  • At home in White Oaks and swamps
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2010, 09:21:00 AM »
Had a break down at the farm and was walking down a corn row with a flashlight on. Walked up on one deer after another (to with in 10yds.) didn't bother them at all if they didn't catch my scent. To bad it's not leagle way to hunt cause it sure would work!
Chuck
Kodiak Mag 52" 41 lb.
Kota Kill-Um 60" 42 lb.
Kanati 58" 38 lb.
Black Hunter Longbow 60" 40 lb.

No Guts - No Story

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©