3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Shipping Expensive Bows  (Read 610 times)

Offline Seeking Trad Deer

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Shipping Expensive Bows
« on: June 01, 2007, 07:51:00 PM »
Whew...I need a break from the auction...I'm going crosseyed bidding on that good stuff over there.  While I'm taking a break...if you don't mind:

I need to ship a very expensive bow back to a bowyer for some work.  I've never shipped a bow before.  Any suggestions as to shipping companies, insurance, and packaging the bow up, and delivery confirmation, etc.    :notworthy:
The Lord is my Shepherd

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
Re: Shipping Expensive Bows
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2007, 07:57:00 PM »
If it's a longbow, wrap it in bubble wrap and put it in a piece of PVC pipe.  Takedowns can be wrapped in bubble wrap and sent in a cardboard box.  I've always used the US Postal Service.  Less expensive than than UPS, though others have used UPS to send bows to me.  I've had a few scares with longbows and one-piece recurves packaged in cardboard when the package came with a noticeable kink in it, but so far, no bow has been damaged.  Insurance is fairly expensive, often amounting to more than the shipping charge, but is probably worth it.  Good luck.

Offline carlr2s

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2007, 07:59:00 PM »
I have always used USPS, without any problems. I ship Priority Mail and insure it. The price seems reasonable to me. As far as packaging goes, use bubble wrap and newspaper for packing, and don't scimp on the tape. I tape and tape until I'm positive that package is secure. The hard part is finding a box for one piece recurves. Take downs and longbows are easy.

Offline carlr2s

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2007, 08:03:00 PM »
USPS is US Postal Service, not UPS. In case you didn't know.

Offline Weekend Warrior

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2007, 08:09:00 PM »
I would definitly get insurance, also a tracking number! Better safe than sorry!
  I sold a bow that the buyer gave me his old address and the POst office didn't forward it new mailing address it was a long month...
Everything turned out OK finaly...

Offline Lost Arra

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2007, 08:11:00 PM »
Longbow:
I wrap a big wad of socks around the limb tips. PVC, bubble wrap as explained above. US postal priority mail insurance. No problem. under $20

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2007, 08:18:00 PM »
UPS is United Parcel Service or Brown as they choose to call themselves.  It's not USPS.

Offline Dick in Seattle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2007, 08:19:00 PM »
I shipped two longbows today... 3" pvc pipe cut to 73", including any end cap.  Padding in both ends and a cut out, tapered wood end piece inserted.   The circumference of the 3" pipe will be 10 1/2", making the final post office measurement of the package a total of 83.5", just under their cutoff point of 84" for oversize charge.    cost was $15 per, plus insurance.   I wrapped the tip before sticking the bow in the tube, wrapped each limb with upholstery fluff, then tucked fluff around the other tip before taping the wood end on.

Now, if you shoot those bows with the bent ends, it ain't that easy, and the only advice i can give you is that if you would stop standing them in the closet, the ends would stop bending...

Dick in Seattle
Dick in Seattle

"It ain't how well the bow you shoot shoots, it's how well you shoot the bow you shoot."

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2007, 09:09:00 PM »
The advice here is sound. I would get at least a Delivery Confirmation along with the insurance, but a Signature Confirmation is better. The recipient or their agent must sign for the bow, and a picture is taken of the form they sign (3849) so you will have the name and address of where it was delivered. You can check on it online at USPS.com.

Killdeer
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Seeking Trad Deer

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2007, 09:26:00 PM »
Lot's of great advice which I really appreicate!  Unfortunately, it is a 60" one piece recurve (when strung) which sounds like the toughest to ship.  I looked at the boxes on-line on the USPS site and didn't see anything they would have that would do the trick.  I'm at a loss for a box right now?    :confused:
The Lord is my Shepherd

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2007, 09:32:00 PM »
Carpet tube. Just about any carpet shop will give you one for free and they're as tough as nails.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Barney

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2007, 09:35:00 PM »
Stay away from Fed Ex.

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2007, 10:14:00 PM »
Last bow I got was by usps,had about 3 short boxes taped together,lots of tape,its cheep!!
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline TXRED

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2007, 10:14:00 PM »
I just shipped a 62" recurve via USPS (only way to go,IMHO).As you've found out,the toughest part is the box.I wound up building one out of a refridgerater box,which is double thick.Just have to watch your combined dimensions so they don't exceed 84".Check out USPS.com for shipping rates & dimension details.I paid $13.95 shipping + a couple of bucks for insurance for Priority Mail.Take Killdeer's advice;she's the resident mailma'm.  :)
John
    Too young for Medicare,
    Too old for women to care

Offline mqqse

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2007, 10:41:00 PM »
USPS for me as well.  One little tidbit.....if it's insured for over $200, a signature is required.  Getting delivery confirmation on top of that is not really necessary unless you want to check it online.  I also mark the box "fragile please" and pack safely enough where someone could through the box across the room without damaging the bow.

Offline jonesy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2007, 11:07:00 PM »
Dick's is on top of it thats the best way to shipp em.

Offline Woodduck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2007, 12:34:00 AM »
Happy trails....   ('till we meet again, Dale Evans Rogers)
>>>--a kindred spirit--->     (got that from Fred Anderson)

North Carolina Bowhunters Association

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2007, 06:10:00 AM »
Sounds like mqqse has seen the parcel area of the Post Office!

:wavey:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2007, 06:12:00 AM »
That is quite the pic there Woodduck. UPS is notorious for not paying insurance claims. If it can be broken than it obviously wasn't packed correctly is their claim most times.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Raineman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2007, 07:44:00 AM »
Okay, letting out a well guarded secret here.....

Go to your local HVAC company and ask them for "baseboard boxes". They are perfect for recurves and are easy to shorten to your desired length.

Whenever we do a job that requires adding or replacing baseboard, my guys know that I get the empty boxes.

(Thanks to Droptine59 for this one)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©