3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Thoughts on Wool Shirts  (Read 890 times)

Offline uglyjake

• Trad Bowhunter
Thoughts on Wool Shirts
« on: December 18, 2010, 08:37:00 AM »
I want a couple wool shirts for Missouri/Iowa.  I am looking at Asbell’s Mackinaw pullover and La Clair’s heavy weight Long Hunter and hood.  Open for suggestions and other makes.  Any thoughts appreciated.  

Thank you,

Arthur

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Thoughts on Wool Shirts
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2010, 08:46:00 AM »
You can't go wrong with either. I have one of the asbel pull overs and it's excellant. Wear it every time I go out! Jason

Offline Steve Clandinin

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2010, 08:47:00 AM »
Thoughts on Wool Shirts? Greatest invention next to the bow! Have virtually lived in them for 45 years.I've got Rons Pullover with hood,Love it ,next Asbells.Used LL Bean,Love them all.
Quote from Howard Hill.( Whenever he taught someone to shoot) "Son make up your mind right now if you want to target shoot or hunt as theres a world of differance between the two"

Offline Bel007

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2010, 08:51:00 AM »
Santa just ordered me my second Asbell hooded pullover.  I have not tried Ron's yet.  I have hunted in Swanndri, Woolrich, Pendleton, columbia.  I love wool.  Teresa's shirts... the bomb!  Love the large hood and hand warming pockets right where you need them.   I'll get more.
Brian - aka "Big Sexy"
Compton Traditional Bowhunters - Lifetime Member

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2010, 08:54:00 AM »
I have a homemade wool pullover that goes down to just above my knees.

If you can buy a few old army style wool blankets, a pullover isn't that hard to sew up for yourself.

Wool leggings are great also and like the pullover, are easy to make.

We don't have to buy everything if we'll challenge ourselves just a little. ( that counts in every area except building arrows...lol)

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2010, 08:57:00 AM »
I've been looking myself as my New Zealand Swannie is finally breaking down on me. After looking at a bunch and from fellow tradganger advice, I'm trying an Asbell pullover myself. Very good price for high quality wool so I'm trying it this winter.
I've owned the entire King of the Mountain line, yup, every piece (even gaitors and belt) since the ten ring coat was being made. LOTS of money.  Great stuff, but worth THAT much money?  No, not in my opinion. I sold it all except the omnilight hooded pullover(which of course was discontinued since it was my favorite piece) and a vest. Sleeping Indian I owned the pants and the heavy hooded pullover. Again VERY nice, but in my opinion you can do just as well with much less of your wallet being punished.
David M. Conroy

Offline Huntschool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2010, 09:19:00 AM »
Wool shirts are great. I have several most of which came from second hand stores.  

I want a wool anorak.  I have a Columbia that I got years ago (layerd Nylon) and its the #1 top I have for general cold weather  wear.  It is not insulated but acts as a wind and retention barrier.  I wear it oveer fleese and it is amazing how this thing holds warm.  Just too noise to wear hunting.

Wife said yesterday she would try and make me one....  Oh boy.
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator (retired)
Southeastern Illinois College
NSCA Level III Instructor
Black Widow Bows
AMM 761

Offline the elf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2010, 09:57:00 AM »
MUDD---we need pictures of your shirt and leggings  please.

Offline mmisciag

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2010, 10:04:00 AM »
One thought that has come to mind is that, most of the wool I buy does not come with a wind stopper lining. Teresa has started making a wind stopper vest. I would like to see a full on shirt. I would make sure that I ordered that as well. Cabelas sells wool with wind stopper as well.

I have also considered a fleece pull over under the wool. Some come with wind stopper build in

I have heard of some folks moving away from wool but in the end you do what works for you. (:

Martin

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2010, 10:13:00 AM »
Got to see both Asbell's and LaClair's at Compton this past summer. Pros and cons with both. Love all the colr selections and styles that Asbell offers. In comparing the weaves I think, and again just my opinion, that the LaClair is better in the wind. Appears to have a much tighter weave. However, Asbell is now offering a windproof vest. If I could only buy one I would buy the LaClair due to the good long tail to cover your lower body and the tighter weave. No pockets on the LaClair as well so consider that in your decision.
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2010, 10:41:00 AM »
I had Teresa make me one that is a 5XL that I can pull on over my Hunter Safey vest. The plaid is great late season camo plus it quiets the vest too.
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline chanumpa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2010, 11:09:00 AM »
I had a Cabelas sweater that had wind stopper,and I didnt like it as good as some of the others that I have.Reason was,it seemed a little noisy,and if you were hiking much,too much kind of like if you had a golfers wind shirt on under a wool sweater.My favorite set up for my top two layers is a heavy wool sweater and my Browning wool camo vest.You can move.Granted,out here in Oregon we arent often subjected to the cold ,quiet like some of you out in the midwest etc.Wool is the best!Quiet,and will keep you warm when soaking wet.

Offline chanumpa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2010, 11:11:00 AM »
Oh Yeah,Asbells wool shirt looks like it would be a great investment and would last forever.

Offline smoke1953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2010, 11:40:00 AM »
Wool shirt coupled with an Asbell or LeClair pullover and your are well on your way to tackling every cold weather situation.

Offline MadDog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2010, 12:05:00 PM »
Asbell pull over with the hood is the only way to go, I'm trying to get a vest now

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2010, 12:57:00 PM »
Just another idea to think of....everyone is different in how their body deals with cold so this is just my finding. With the windstopper stuff being noisy: if it is windy enough for me to need the windstopper, its pretty noisy out to begin with! The wind blowing through trees and across the landscape usually covers any noise.  If fairly calm I stick to regular soft wools.
I do agree with NoCams on weave though. The tighter the weave the better. I loved the Swannie, it was tight! But usually layering some thinner stuff together will do pretty good at tightening things up.
I don't ever wear any type of "shirt" per say....I much prefer a sweater over a merino undershirt. I hate zippers or buttons against my skin in the cold so any of the zip neck stuff is out for me.  Merino crew undershirt, lambswool sweater over that, swannie( soon to be an Asbell), and a vest if needed over that and I am one happy guy to about zero.(with a handwarmer on the back of my neck!)
David M. Conroy

Offline Canadabowyer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2010, 01:43:00 PM »
I got the Asbell pullover with hood and the vest without.Wear the hooded pullover when walking, usually with the hood down and a good hat and then when I decide to sit a while I pull the vest over all and flip up the hood and I am double toasty. Great stuff!!  Bob
"non illegitimus carborundum est"

Offline Blasterjdh

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2010, 01:47:00 PM »
been watching this with interest... great post.... Now if I can just get Ms Clause to notice the "lack of wool" in the closet ... Hmmm
EOD Motto: Initial Success or Total Failure

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2010, 02:18:00 PM »
I've got one of each and love them both.  If you order the Asbell one, be sure to talk with Mrs. Asbell because the wool weight/thickness isn't the same from color to color.  

She can help you make sure you get what you want though.

Online David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2010, 04:13:00 PM »
My only issue with Teresa's pull over is the sleevs on mine are sort of tight fitting--not much room in the arms for layering.  Haven't tried Ron's but Teresa makes them as well as I understand.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©