3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Recurve Repair  (Read 1223 times)

Offline Sharp Stick

• Trad Bowhunter
Recurve Repair
« on: January 10, 2007, 08:54:00 PM »
Hello All,

I have an old Indian Archery Deerslayer recurve.  The bow had several holes in it where someone had a sight attached at one time.  I got advise on how to fill the holes from Tradgang, thanks guy's.  In the process of trying to remove an old screw that was still in the bow, I found a broken off hardened screw in the riser.  After trying just about everything I could think of to remove the screw, I finally had to drill around it until I could get it out.  Now, I have a slightly smaller than 1/2 inch hole in the riser.  I went to WoodCrafters and picked up a piece of bubinga, which closely matched the riser in color and grain.  My plan is to drill the hole round with a 1/2 inch forestner bit, and cut two 1/2 inch plugs from the bubinga using my drill press and a tapered plug cutter. I plan to insert a plug from each side of the riser and cut flush on each side.

Then I need to put some sort of finish over the plugs.  Does this sound like a logical way to fix the problem?  Is there a better way?  What should I use for glue and for finish?

Thanks,

BluntHead
PBS Associate Member
Lone Star Bow Hunters Association

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Recurve Repair
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2007, 09:27:00 PM »
Is the hole you currently have all the way through the riser? If so what your planning should work. Although I might have tried just a 1/2 inch dowell instead of two plugs might be stronger, if strength is needed. I'd use a good wood glue. finish could be a wipe on poly.
Lots of other choices in finish but poly is easy.
Ron
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET
"A man shares his Buffalo". Ed Pitchkites

Offline Sharp Stick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2007, 09:48:00 PM »
Yes, the hole is all the through the riser.  The piece of bubinga I have is not thick enough to cut a one piece dowel, I wish it was.
PBS Associate Member

Offline Jason Lester

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2007, 10:47:00 PM »
A half inch hole is a big hole in the riser. I'd watch it closely after you do what your saying. Seems like you could have a failure with a hole that size.

Two peices to get the dowel length sounds resonable.

Let us know how it works out.
Jason Lester

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2007, 07:23:00 PM »
The main concern I'd have is with the tapered plugs, the more wood to wood contact the better inside the riser.
Ron
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET
"A man shares his Buffalo". Ed Pitchkites

Offline Sharp Stick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2007, 07:31:00 PM »
Thanks guy's.  I will give it a try.  I can pick up a straight plug cutter, and experiment with tapered and straight plugs.  I was told that the tapered plugs allow a tighter fit. But now I am thinking about surface area.  What kind of glue or epoxy do you recommend?
PBS Associate Member

Offline Dave Worden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2007, 11:41:00 AM »
A non-tapered plug would definitely be better.  The guy that told you a tapered plug would give a better fit was probably a woodworker who's used to covering screw heads and such.  The tapered plug will give a tighter fit at the surface of the wood, but would obviously leave a gap further inside the hole.  You don't want that.  I'd use epoxy, but I suspect that any good woodworking glue would work just as well.  Be very careful with the grain direction as you insert the plugs.  You won't be able to turn them very easily later if you have a good fit and mis-aligned grain will make the patch stand out more.
"If I was afraid of a challenge, I'd put sights on my bow!"

Offline BillW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2007, 03:03:00 PM »
so can I ask how you fix small holes with out hijacking this thread? I have a bow with two holes about 1/8" dia and about 1/2" deep. I was going to fill with filler but then I thought about plugging with a dowel. The riser is Maple.

Any pointers?

THX,
Bill
Aim Small

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2007, 05:36:00 PM »
YOU PROBABLY COULD HAVE USED AN EASY OUT ON THAT BROKEN SCREW.DIDN"T SOMEONE POST A THREAD ABOUT MAKING A CONCOCTION OUT OF SAWDUST? AND GLUE?

Offline BillW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2007, 01:05:00 AM »
ttt
Aim Small

Offline Flathead Willie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2007, 03:34:00 AM »
If the plugs are not long enough, you can glue a dowel into the center of the hole leaving enough hole on each side to put your plugs. That way you have the strength and a nice finish.
Some people climb to the top of the ladder only to find that it is leaning on the wrong wall!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©