3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Best GPS for under 200$ ( opinions please)  (Read 3040 times)

Offline Pepper

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Best GPS for under 200$ ( opinions please)
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2010, 08:39:00 AM »
I have a garmin, and like it.
I would also recommend getting a good compass, and learning how to use it.  Electronics are fine, but batteries go dead, and electronics have a habit of going south without reason.
Archery is a family sport, enjoy it with your family.

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2010, 08:46:00 AM »
I'm purdy familiar with map and compass just wanted a good gps. I'll deffinitely carry both! and extra batteries! HA! Jason

« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2010, 02:38:00 PM »
I had the original, basic etrex for a while, and it was useful but I felt as if the satellite resolution was really slow in woods with a mature canopy, which is where I spend a lot of my outdoors time. I got an upgrade last year, the etrex Venture HC. Quick resolution and all the features I could ever use. You can find them for around $125.

Offline speedwalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2010, 03:07:00 PM »
I vote for the Garmin 60Csx.  I just got one and love it.  It's fast to acquire satellites and very user friendly.

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2010, 03:22:00 PM »
well i need one myself but i am not to good on the useage side of these strang machines and i need a real simple one and i do mean simple the backtrack GPS sounds lik it might be the ticket.
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline the elf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2010, 05:15:00 PM »
Jeff B-----If I can use it anybody can.
To say that I am technically challanged is a major understatement. I am having a lot of fun with my BACKTRACK.

Offline metsastaja

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2010, 06:29:00 PM »
other big advantage of the 60csx is the electronic compass  do not get that with the etrex system.

Not only will the 60csx be good in the woods but with the topo DVD  (do not buy the card) you can work on your computer.  It also has auto-route capabilities for road travel with thousands of POI (points of Interest) banks, hotels gas, etc built in.
Les Heilakka
TGMM Family of the Bow  
Some times the uneventful nights are just as good if not better than the eventful ones

Offline Downwind Lefty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2010, 06:44:00 PM »
Jason just as an fyi - I have a Garmin eTrex Legend GPS in the classifieds. It's unused, unopened, includes a carrying case and 12 volt adaptor. Asking $75 shipped. There's a picture of them on there as well.

thx,
Rich

Offline Davesea

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2010, 08:26:00 PM »
So Jason,
What GPS are you getting for Christmas?
Dave
"Anyone can make a bow, but it takes skill and experience to make an arrow"  ISHI

Offline Bill Sant

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2010, 08:46:00 PM »
Jrff and Elf.  I have had a few different models/kinds and now have a backtrack.   Easy, easy easy....Just like bows and arrows.  I didn't need my gps to remember all my inlaws birthdays or 250 waypoints, etc etc.  Just need to check on my direction of travel if I need it.  You won't be sorry if you like simple.

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2010, 09:55:00 PM »
thanks Bill.  :thumbsup:
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline DXH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2010, 10:15:00 PM »
I have two different garmins and don't really like either one...
the garmin etrex...camo edition, it has been discontinued, and for good reason. It used to work ok but these past two years I have had to get to most of my spots off of memory, makes me wonder if they are using different signals?

my garmin automotive gps is just awful and so was customer service..99percent of the time I just keep it turned off,it stays in the truck to keep from hurting mom's feelings as it was a present before I headed out west for an externship this past summer

Literally every hotel I had "programmed" as a via point was out of business. It still won't locate gas stations that are plainly visible with the naked eye and if it does get a destination close to right the sides of the road are flip flopped... I still have find everything the old fashioned way as I did before having the unit.
Its nothing more than an expensive toy to check my milage

Called garmin and after having to wait for a reply for 3 days they said that my maps were outdated on a brand new unit...so I did my updates and the unit is no better and even possible a little worse..

Couldnt take it back to the store as it was after the 30day return policy (iwas stuck out west)

I seem to have gotten the short end of the stick with garmin..and after dealing with them one on one I am not going to purchase another unit  from them...

If anyone knows some higher ups-I would appreciate ya'll passing the word along
Ben Pearson Cougar 40#
PSE Black Hawk T/D 55#
Bamboo backed Osage Self bow 57#
Ivory Hunter 60#

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: December 24, 2010, 11:21:00 AM »
I just picked up a Magellan 400 with everything evn the credits for downloading and a topo nat geo society for downloading maps for $180.00 Havnt tried it yet.

And there is a garmin etrex in the classifieds.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Online snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: December 24, 2010, 12:30:00 PM »
I've got an Etrex I'd sell for $50+shipping...?
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline DeerSpotter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: December 24, 2010, 04:31:00 PM »
I have a Garmin Etrex Vista HCX ,And it works just fine ,It's really accurate I can get within 5 to 10 feet of my location that I need to be at ,And I have never had it lose signal ,And the compass in it works just fine I don't know why others are talking about the electronic compass not working in it ,I've had to calibrate mine a couple of times.

I like the feature that you can take and use different cards ,So you don't have to load everything on one big card .

Carl
--------------------------
 Heb.13:5-6

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: December 24, 2010, 04:42:00 PM »
etrex....very easy to master and works great.never lets me down.
IT'S NEVER WRONG TO DO WHATS RIGHT AND NEVER RIGHT TO DO WHATS WRONG.....LOU HOLTZ

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: December 24, 2010, 07:42:00 PM »
I believe I'm gonna pic up the garmin 60cx after the holidays. Thanks' for all the input! Jason

Offline L. E. Carroll

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: December 25, 2010, 01:09:00 AM »
My daughter and son-in-law just gave me a brand new Garmin GPSMAP 60 tonight for Christmas...

I'm going to have to read up and see how this baby works... Does anyone have this model and is it a good one?  

I understand I can download topo maps and it already has a good general map of the US including cities, roads and trails downloaded into it... I may be set without the additional topo maps, but having never owned one I'm not sure??

Any advise will be appreciated...

Thanks' Gene
Tall Tines R/C
64 Kodiak
69 Super Kodiak Big River replica
56" 55$# Static Tipped Kwyk Styk
Blacktail Elite
54 dual shelf Compass Kodiak

PBS Associate Member
Traditional Bowhunters of WA.

Offline metsastaja

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: December 25, 2010, 07:32:00 AM »
Gene you just got one of the best models available.  I have had the etrex, map70csx and the 60csx (I own 3). Get your self a large capacity sd card. You might want to purchase the Topo maps for your region.  If you do, purchase the DVD not the cards.  With the DVD you can load on your computer and do waypoint, route managment and download onto the unit.  The Topos do not require an unlock code so they can be shared on different units. Using a large SD card allows the unit to also function as an external HD.

Like all techno toys there is a learning curve involved and the user manual in my opinion is not the best.  

I happen to use a program called EXPERTGPS   http://www.expertgps.com/   which is available on the net for all my data management.

I use the 60csx extensively with old maps finding pre 1945 trails on Mount Desert Island. It is a personal project I am doing with a couple of friends. We all use the 60csx.   http://gpsacadia.com/  

If you get stuck send me a pm.  I have been using the unit for years.
Les Heilakka
TGMM Family of the Bow  
Some times the uneventful nights are just as good if not better than the eventful ones

Offline elknutz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: December 25, 2010, 09:51:00 AM »
Mine came with a 1gig card and I was able to put an Oregon topo on it.  I would upgrade to a larger card if you want more maps.  Its a great gps.
"There is no excellence in archery without great labor" - Maurice Thompson
"I avoid anything that make my dogs gag" - Dusty Nethery

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©