3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: flu flu arrows  (Read 748 times)

Offline $bowhunter$

• Trad Bowhunter
flu flu arrows
« on: December 18, 2010, 01:34:00 PM »
hey guys i just got about 2 dozen of the walmart carbon and aluminum arrows for about a buck a piece and what to make them into some fluflu. ive looked at the spiral fletch and the regulair strait fletch(how i currently make them). which holds up better between the two different types. is there a big difference between the types? pros/cons wanted.
just trying to get info on the both compared before i order my full length feathers
thanks,
steven
"SHOOT STRAIT" - something im still working twards

Offline SteveT

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: flu flu arrows
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2010, 01:41:00 PM »
Steven...
 I have tried both ways, and i like the straight fletch better, because i can get them to stay on when shooting down in the grass and brush, i like 6 fletch,for slowing down...my 2cents...SteveT

Offline LC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2010, 01:44:00 PM »

Heres the absolute best flu flu there is. It can be made to fly as short a distance as a completely spiral wrapped and or can be made to fly farther.It holds up better than spiral or full length un cuts plus it stores in your bow quiver or back quiver better.

Only one problem they are harder to make. The one pictured is a standard 5" sheild cut feather with just the last third spiraled. It will fly a short distance like a full spiral would.
Most people get rich by making more money than they have needs, me, I just reduced my needs!

Offline $bowhunter$

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2010, 02:00:00 PM »
where is the best plase(least exspensive) place to fing flo yellow full length feathers?
"SHOOT STRAIT" - something im still working twards

Offline Jayb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2010, 02:05:00 PM »
I thought I saw on 3R they only come in left feathers is that true?  I only have a right helical clamp.
Black Widow PSA II #52 @ 26"

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2010, 02:31:00 PM »
Buy full length feathers and cut them at 4-5" long, glue them on and your done. You dont need to buy flu-flu feathers. They are nothing more than full lengthers that didnt pass the length grade trimmed up to make flu-flu feathers.

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2010, 02:55:00 PM »
Full lenght colored feathers are easy to see but are soft.  Natural barred is tougher but since these arrows are generally expendable I use the dyed colored feathers.  4- 90 degree 5" helical will go about 100 yards at max elevation and will still hit hard at 25 yards.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline LC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2010, 09:11:00 PM »
IMHO IF you try a flu flu like I pictured above using standard 5" parabolic or shield cut feathers you'll never look back. Personally the ones I use the most adays have very little spiral fletch at the end now . It will amaze you away how little spiral on the end of a regular fletch will slow down your arrow. Really makes you realize how much helical fletching slows or stablizes your arrow.

Great thing is you don't have to buy any special fletching other than what you have on hand.
Most people get rich by making more money than they have needs, me, I just reduced my needs!

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2010, 09:58:00 PM »
Originally posted by Jayb:
I thought I saw on 3R they only come in left feathers is that true?  I only have a right helical clamp.
Check the sponsor classifieds Joe Skipp has some feathers for sale
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2010, 05:23:00 PM »
LC,

Do you start your fletching with a jig and only glue on the front third or do you do the whole thing by hand?  Does the remaining fletch go all the way around or just part way?  Any chance for a close up pic?
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Online ronp

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2010, 05:34:00 PM »
I'd like to see a close-up, too.  Looks like a real good idea.  Thanks.
Ron Purdy

TGMM Family of the Bow
MTB
NRA

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©