3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: In Honor of a Good Man...  (Read 1018 times)

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
In Honor of a Good Man...
« on: December 18, 2010, 10:04:00 PM »
When Terry called me the morning after, to tell me that Chris had passed away....like so many when they heard the news, I was devistated.

When you hear of the passing of such a fine young man, father, son, soldier, and friend to all who's life he touched....you can't help but think about your own life and the blessings of family and friends....life is very fragile.

For two days I couldn't sign on to Trad gang without shedding tears over the writing here about Chris.

I was supposed to be sharing a camp with Chris and Larry right after Christmas in TX. Now that wouldn't happen...

For all these reasons it's been a tough few days...I couldn't get too far thru any day since without thinking of Chris and the outpouring of condolences from the wonderfull people of TG. It seemed everything reminded me of what was going on...I couldn't even start to imagine what his family was going through...

Through all this, I've been thinking of a good way, a way Chris would really appreciate, to honor the life of a true traditional bowhunter...

Today was the first time since Chris' passing that I had the opportunity to hunt. I drove to my parking spot, and started dressing in the dark.  I put on just enough so as not to sweat on the walk in, locked my truck, and reached into my pack for my headlamp that I've been using on all my hunts for the last 3 years...then it hit me....

I'd gotten this Petzel head lamp in the St. Jude auction....it was donated by Chris Surtees...

Wearing it had a whole new meaning now...

After turning it on, I started walking and said my prayer I say everytime I walk into the woods, of course this time including the Surtees family...

As I walked, I thought..."how cool would it be to kill a deer today to honor Chris"...what better way...

I got to my stand and almost immediately before I was even fully dressed I had a deer come by about 60 yds. away...it walked off and I settled in...

First text I got was from my buddy Glen(glenbo here). He'd just signed on to TG for the first time in over a week last night. He was saddend, like everyone else here, by the news of Chris' passing.
Another reminder of Chris....

As the sun rose, and my surroundings came to life I couldn't help but take some pix...

•        
•        

Later on, one of the many texts of the morning came from Terry Green...he was about to meet up with Larry, Chris' dad, to help with Chris' things. Don, Skyler,Tammy, and Cloe Wilson were also there to help Larry.
Another reminder of Chris...

The more these reminders came, the stronger the feeling grew within me to make this happen...

Then about 8:30, to the south of me, I saw some deer and I really thought this was it!  Seven deer in all......but it wasn't meant to be, they wandered off, never coming close enough...
•        

Eight deer already...this was turning out to be a great late season hunt, regardless of the outcome.

Then for whatever reason, this hit home...
•        

I can only hope I had a small part of this, as these have long been my favorite, but Chris' favorite recurves were his Kwyk Styks made by Jack Kempf.  As a matter of fact when we left the Pig-Gig this year and got cell service, he checked his e mails. With a big smile on his face, he shared pictures of his new Kwyk Styk that was on the way to his house from Jack.
Another powerful reminder of Chris...

A little later, as a scrolled through the contact list in my phone to send a text to a friend...there's Chris' name...

As time passed, I was starting to think that maybe it just wasn't meant to be. I'd had a great morning, in beautiful weather, and saw as many deer as I'd seen on any other hunt all fall.

I had set myself a time to leave earlier...I would stay till 10:00...then get home to do some things I had to get done.

About 9:50, my phone vibrated in my pocket...it was Cade calling to see how I was doing and when I'd be home....I told him I should be home by 11:00...we said our "I love you's" and hung up.

Not a couple minutes later, long after I really expected to see any more deer, and closing in on the time I'd set to leave...I heard something walking  over my left shoulder...
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline shortstroke 91

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: In Honor of a Good Man...
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2010, 10:14:00 PM »
I hope you gave Cade a big hug when you got home.
shortstroke 91
TBOT Life Member

"BLOOD MAKES THE GRASS GROW"

Offline Robert Honaker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2010, 10:18:00 PM »
:coffee:

Offline Jason in Bama

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2010, 10:21:00 PM »
:campfire:
Your sole purpose in life may be to serve as a warning to others.
The journey is the destination.

Offline longbowben

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2010, 10:25:00 PM »
Ok you have our attention.
54" Hoots 57@28
60" MOAB 60@28
Gold tip, 160gr Snuffer
TGMM Family of the Bow
USAF 90-96 69TH Bomb Squadron

Offline hova

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2010, 10:29:00 PM »
OMG HOW DO YOU DO A THREE PARAGRAPH PAGE TURNER...

sad to hear the loss , like everyone else here , but anticipating what is to come...

-hov
ain't got no gas in it...mmmhmmm...

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2010, 10:33:00 PM »
....One deer, then two, three, and a fourth...all does, two big, two little, they were about 70yds away, but coming closer.

I grabbed my Kwyk Styk that was hanging on the opposite side if the tree, and slowly shifted my feet to prepare for a shot if given the opportunity.

For a few minutes I couldn't tell which trail they would take....but then one of the little does started to head right down the trail I was hoping they would take...here they come...

As they closed I knew I had to shift my feet again to get into proper position. But as I did so, my boot made just a slight sound on the cold stand. I mean hardly audible to me, but the biggest doe, walking third in line, sure heard it. She froze and searched ahead...then looked right up at me!

She looked, then put her head down, only to look right back up at me. This went on for a couple tense minutes till the last doe in line, that didn't have a clue, started walking past her. She realxed a bit and they all continued....but were about to get to where I walked in to the stand... They stopped again...

But now the first big doe, the one that stared me down in the tree, was only 15yds. away. It was kinda like a now or never thing, but the angle wasn't quite right. She was slightly quartering toward me, and getting tense again...

Then she turned her head and neck away from me to look behind her....that opened up her side right up to me...I drew and shot...

She wouldn't go far...

I looked to the heavens..."that one was for buddy"...

It took me while before I gained enough composure to climb down...

The "too big" oak had produced for the third time this fall...
•  

•  

•  

•  

Rest in peace my friend...I'll sure miss you in TX.....
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline DEATHMASTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2010, 10:36:00 PM »
Very nice.........

Offline GRINCH

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2010, 10:40:00 PM »
:clapper:    :clapper:    :clapper:
TGMM Family of The Bow,
USN 1973-1995

Offline glass76

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2010, 10:44:00 PM »
Great story. Thanks for sharing.

Offline uglyjake

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2010, 10:45:00 PM »
Honor! God Bless.

Offline longbowben

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2010, 10:50:00 PM »
Very nice.
54" Hoots 57@28
60" MOAB 60@28
Gold tip, 160gr Snuffer
TGMM Family of the Bow
USAF 90-96 69TH Bomb Squadron

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2010, 10:53:00 PM »
Chris is smiling on that one!  :thumbsup:  
Nice job Curt, on a hunt that will remain special to you forever.  

I wonder how many people here will be carrying things they got from Chris into the woods and thinking of him every time they use them.  Chris's spirit will live on, and he will share many hunts with a heck of a lot of people.  That is pretty powerful stuff!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Gil

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2010, 11:03:00 PM »
A very touching story Curt.God bless Cris's soul.
There's plenty of room for all of God's creatures.Right next to the mashed potatoes.

One can pay back the loan of gold, but one dies forever in debt to those who are kind."

COMPTON TRADITIONAL BOWHUNTERS

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2010, 11:14:00 PM »
Curt that was a big one.... WOW.
incredible...

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2010, 11:20:00 PM »
Thank you for sharing.

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2010, 11:22:00 PM »
Outstanding Curt! Thank you for sharing a personal part of yourself with us.   :thumbsup:
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Offline CDR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2010, 11:28:00 PM »
Very nice Curt!

Offline Wary Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2010, 11:29:00 PM »
Curt, good work.  That had to be a very satisfying hunt for you.  And doesn't sound like you were totally alone either.
"Here's a picture of me when I was younger."
"Heck, every picture is of you when you were younger."
--from Again to Carthage, John L. Parker, Jr.

Offline stik&string

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2010, 11:29:00 PM »
Breath taking, emotional story. Congrats on the deer.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©