3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Dear Santa.....  (Read 250 times)

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
Dear Santa.....
« on: December 19, 2010, 07:36:00 AM »
Before the economy took a dump 4 years ago the wife and I used to have the usual Christmas tradition of buying each other a gift. We also had one of buying ourselves something we really wanted from "Santa".  We're finally getting back on our feet this year so the tradition has been renewed.  What a great value on this unit at the local big blue box store.
Thanks Santa!  

Now I've got to make a nock/point taper jig...I know many of you have sanding centers like this....load me up with ideas please.  I can see a few board bows in the future for the neighborhood kids, my wife, and my daughter.
ASL's, Selfbows, and Wood Arra's
Just because you are passionate about something, doesn't mean you don't suck at it.

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Dear Santa.....
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2010, 07:45:00 AM »
Sharing the tradition of archery with the neighborhood kids is an outstanding idea.
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2010, 07:50:00 AM »
Had a neighbor who shot longbows as a kid.....he taught me to shoot and helped me pick out my first bow once I'd saved up enough money ($20).  He gave me magazine articles on Fred Bear to read....made me some arrows....and took me to his South Texas lease to hunt several times.  I'm just completing the circle....been teaching my daughter and the neighbor boy to shoot.  This year my 11 year old daughter gets her first new bow from Santa....cuz she's been shooting that same bow I bought with that $20 at her age.  I can't wait for her to open it on Christmas.....I'm probably more excited than her!
Just because you are passionate about something, doesn't mean you don't suck at it.

Offline magnus

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2010, 08:07:00 AM »
One tip I have is get a good vacuum  system or a strong fan because dust will get on everything. Learned that the hard way. Lol!

Keeping the Faith!
Magnus
Keeping the Faith!
Matt
TGMM Family of the bow
 Turkey Flite Traditional  
[email protected]

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2010, 08:15:00 AM »
Thanks Magnus.....it has a collector bag, but it's only marginally effective.  This in on my bench close to the garage door so once I'm done I just fire up the leaf blower and out the rest of it goes.  Santa let me test it yesterday.    :thumbsup:

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2010, 09:03:00 AM »
Just got another idea from lpcjon2's thread.....feather grinding.  Now to find me some buzzard feathers 'round here.  Not much else in the big bird department till Turkey season in April.  

Question....on making a nock/point taper jig.  How long of a V groove/trough is it best to cut in the block.  From end of board to where the taper's meet should be ____ inches?

Offline gobblegrunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2010, 09:12:00 AM »
Originally posted by Green:
Had a neighbor who shot longbows as a kid.....he taught me to shoot and helped me pick out my first bow once I'd saved up enough money ($20).  He gave me magazine articles on Fred Bear to read....made me some arrows....and took me to his South Texas lease to hunt several times.  I'm just completing the circle....been teaching my daughter and the neighbor boy to shoot.  This year my 11 year old daughter gets her first new bow from Santa....cuz she's been shooting that same bow I bought with that $20 at her age.  I can't wait for her to open it on Christmas.....I'm probably more excited than her!
Congrats on the fun Christmas that you've got planned for your daughter! I know the excitement that you feel! Sorry, not experienced enough to offer any helpful hints concerning your original post, but wanted to wish you a Merry Christmas!
"It's not about inches or antlers..."     ~Bill Langer

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2010, 09:23:00 AM »
Green that tool will do you wonders. Dad gave me his "old" one and I use it all the time. I bought a little 1 gallon Shop-Vac (cheap) and the hose fit perfectly into the dust bag port, collects about 75% I would say, not bad at all. I roughed out an Ipe bow with it and had about a 1/2 cup of dust to clean up afterwards. Belts are cheap so I would suggest buying several different grits to keep handy. Have fun!

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2010, 09:48:00 AM »
Thanks for the idea Chris....on my way to the garage now to see if my shop vac will mount up to it.  

Also thanks for the arrow making tips last week....plan to put all this good stuff to use pretty soon as I've finally decided to go with Surewoods shafts and will get a test kit of 4 different spine spreads this week.

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2010, 11:55:00 AM »
TTT for ideas on use and particulars on a nock/point taper jig from you experienced craftsmen.

Offline Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2010, 06:28:00 PM »
3 Rivers has a tapering jig that can be clamped to your sander or use a V-groove router bit to cut your own grooves in a block of wood.
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2010, 08:24:00 PM »
Thanks Troy....I'd looked at that one and wondered how long the taper block was.  Did a Youtube search and found an adjustable block that looked perfect....so I built it this afternoon.

Offline fedora

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2010, 10:19:00 PM »
Green, what are the specs on that wonder machine.  I am in the market as I set up my shop. Thanks.

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2010, 04:32:00 AM »
George it is a 5 amp unit that has an 8" disk, and uses a 4 x 36 belt.  For more go to the Lowe's site.  Search tools/woodworking/sanding.  I think it's on the 2nd page from that point and has full spec sheet/reviews.  Price in my area is 179.....pretty good value compared to a woodchuck at 150.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©