3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What's a Good WARM Weather Hunting Boot?  (Read 336 times)

Offline Nala

• Trad Bowhunter
What's a Good WARM Weather Hunting Boot?
« on: December 19, 2010, 12:39:00 PM »
Hey all,

I have been thinking about picking up a pair of the Military Vietnam Jungle Boot to hunt in down here in Florida.  I have never worn a pair of them and would like some opinions on how well they would work in the heat and how comfortable they are.

Another boot I have been thinking of is the LLBean rubber bottom boots.  I would probably want the 8 or 10 inch version, UN-INSULATED of course.  The only thing is I don't know if these would make my feet really hot when the temps go up.  That rubber bottom and surrounding the foot makes me kinda leery of them for warm or hot weather.

What boots do you use when the temps go UP?  Are there other G.I. boots that would work good for hot weather?  The Combat boot option is good for me because LOTS of them can be bought really inexpensively on ****.

Thoughts?

Nalajr

Offline swampmaster

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: What's a Good WARM Weather Hunting Boot?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2010, 12:43:00 PM »
muck boots,  the woodymax

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2010, 12:53:00 PM »
There is a reason that VN jungle boots are cheap. Granted, I haven't worn them for a long time, but when I did, it was in the steamy climate of SE Asia. The soles are stiff, so if you want to sneak around, you might find them noisy. They were not very comfortable as I recall.
I like LL Beans when it is warm, but warm is a relative term between Wyoming and Florida. They might be a bit hot in your climate, unless you want to wear them in the winter, and then they might just be the ticket in your part of the world.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline greg fields

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2010, 12:55:00 PM »
Cabelas Pinnacle's are my current favorite.  Light weight, comfortable, and not too expensive.

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2010, 01:07:00 PM »
Danner Jackal GTX  or Muck Boots work for me in Georgia.
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Online The Whittler

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2010, 01:18:00 PM »
I have a pair of LL Bean boot, the rubber bottom-leather top. They are not a bad boot, but if you like to walk a lot like I do, buy something else. they are not feet friendly.

Offline mnbearbaiter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2010, 01:26:00 PM »
Wolverine Crowleys will be on my feet this spring for turkey, and this fall for elk! A nice lite 6" boot, 200gr insulation, i can run in 'em now that i have 'em broke in!

Offline JockC

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2010, 01:48:00 PM »
The new military boots for desert combat are fantastic.  I've gone through maybe a dozen pairs of Nam boots, and these are vastly superior.  They soles aren't good for feeling the ground, but they are quiet.  There are some good prices, but a few of the sale boots I've tried were cheap for a reason.  I've got a pair of Black Hawks I like, and friends in service love their Altamas.

I think Bean boots would be a steam bath in FL.

The advantage of Nam boots (besides being cheap and reasonably comfortable) was that they drainage holes for moving in and out of water.  If you need to do that, the short hiking boots that have mesh drainage in the lower foot area or the foot bed for drainage might be the ticket for really hot weather.
Jock
TGMM Family of the Bow
Hunting should be hard.

Offline Onions

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2010, 01:53:00 PM »
I have always had cold feet, until this year. My wife bought me these boot covers from Artic Shield. They roll up into my fanny pack. Once in the stand I slip them on....and I am golden. This way I can wear a pair of 400g boots into the stand (this way my feet do not sweat),no more big bulky pack boots for me.
Thrus. I sat in 0 degree weather for 3 hours. Feet were fine for 90% of the sit. The last 1/2hr, they did get a little cool. I think if I place a chemical heat pack into the boot blanket will really make them warm.
Sat. I sat for 5 hours in 20 degree weather, feet were toasty the whole time.

chris <><

Offline Onions

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2010, 01:55:00 PM »
Sorry in my haste I read the topic of thread wrong. I thought it was about warm boots in cold weather. This is what happens when I am paying attention to my 3yr. old and reading!!
Sorry again

chris <><

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2010, 02:03:00 PM »
I bought a pair of Merrell hiking boots and they worked fantastic for the mountains here in Oregon. Let my feet breath plenty good and gave great ankle support while being lite to boot.
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Online lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2010, 02:19:00 PM »
Good socks and La Grange boots from Lacrosse. I wear mine all year even in the cold .Good sock a must.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline FXJr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2010, 03:35:00 PM »
I second the Merrell hiking boot. I have used these the last 2 years and find they have great support and are somewhat waterproof, at least for walking in grass covered with dew.
Frank X.

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2010, 03:48:00 PM »
what about the SNAKES ya have down there? after saying that Danner Gtx nice boot and ya can feel every stone and twig or good old Diving Boots real quiet.
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2010, 03:54:00 PM »
I wear "turtleskin snakearmor" (snake gaiters) over my boots/lower legs if i'm worried about snakes.
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline TC in Spfld

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2010, 06:09:00 PM »
Cabela's Silent Stalk Sneakers for $99.99.  Very good boot for warm weather.

Offline Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2010, 06:32:00 PM »
I've never found much better than a good 'ol pair of Sorels with felt liners.
Oops, Sorels are warm boots,  nto warm weather.
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2010, 07:01:00 PM »
Ghillie boots (I swear, my mission in life is to convert all American hunter to these things!) They're ultra, ultra lightweight, soft, flat soled & silent to stalk in. If you eiher don't mind wet feet when it rains, or have an alternative for wet weather, Ghillies are the perfect early season/stalking boot.

You can find them on E8ay UK for about $40 + shipping. I believe the last pair I ordered cam in at under $50 & were here in under a week.
I have 2 pairs (one that I wear & a spare pair, in case I couldn't get them when I moved over here) I've been wearing the same pair for all my Spring/Summer/Early Fall huntin for 4 years now.
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline Grey Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2010, 07:03:00 PM »
I use a pair of Corcoran #3944 boots. They've done me well in the California and Arizona deserts.

Guy
Tie two birds together; though they have four wings, they can not fly.
The Blind Master

Offline mike hall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2010, 08:49:00 PM »
Took Wolverine Ridgelines to CO last year for some big time walking for Mule Deer and they are awesome. Don't let the thinsulate scare you off for warm weather hunting. Great boots!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©