3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Winter Boot  (Read 401 times)

Offline Blake Dustin Adams

• Trad Bowhunter
Winter Boot
« on: December 19, 2010, 04:06:00 PM »
Ok guys I need some opinions.  I checked out the archives and didn't find much to help on the specifics I got.

I am now stationed in Germany and will be for another few years and need a good all around winter boot.  I'm looking for something to hunt in back home some and use when I want to go out on these nasty cold days.  The temps here have been maybe up to 25F since Thanksgiving.  Slush has been one of my biggest enemies so far. So these are the major things I'm looking for:

-Warmth (I've been in -C temps for almost a month now.
-Water proof, save me from the slush and the odd occurrence that the temp gets to 2-3C and it actually rains.
-Good all around use, something I can use hoofing it to the lodge, and taking advantage of the Ozarks back home.
-An added bonus would be the ability to have it resoled, but is not necessary.
-Don't break the bank, soldiers don't make much money, things are pricey over here, and Congress is talking about taking away our allowances and making us pay for our insurance.

That's what I can think of for now, but I'm sure other things will come up.

Thanks,
BDA

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Winter Boot
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2010, 04:18:00 PM »
Muck Artic Sports have no competition in my opinion.

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2010, 04:35:00 PM »
I second Muck boots.
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline JockC

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2010, 04:49:00 PM »
If they fit you, the black (moderate cold) or white (deep cold) mickey mouse boots are great, and cheap.  Sportsman's Guide has them; Bata is the best brand, if you can choose.  Wool booty-lined Sorels, LaCrosse, and Bean boots are great, too, not too expensive, and can be resoled.  Muck or Bog boots are likely your best bet if the slush gets deep.
Jock
TGMM Family of the Bow
Hunting should be hard.

Offline Blake Dustin Adams

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2010, 05:11:00 PM »
OK gotta add this.  When I go off post I try to not look American as it really helps with how they treat you over here.  Kinda that nail that sticks out gets hammered thing.  So for that aspect I'm trying to stay away from the mostly rubber boots (they don't seem to wear them to much) like the Muck boots. That and if they wick sweat as well as my LaCrosse neoprene and rubber boots I'd have nasty funky feet in a hurry.

Slush isn't to deep, just soaks through everything I own in a hurry with the exception of my gore-tex lined duty boot (but that makes me that nail).

I have been looking a lot at Sorel and Kamik and other similar pac boots.  When it comes to a pair of quality foot wear I think of $300 as breaking the bank, but even then I can find plenty of good quality boots for less than $150.  The other nice thing is the lace up system really helps in the comfort as pull on boots never fit me well.

But as I said I want opinions, and I'm sure this thread will help others out as well.  So I guess I should add this to that loose list of requirements.

-Preferably Lace up
-Preferably about 9-12" tall

Offline JockC

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2010, 05:44:00 PM »
OK, this violates one of your preferences but nails the local concern.  One of the best pairs of boots I ever had was a pair of pull-on Nokia with a pullout felt liner.  It came with carbide studs or caulks.  I have no idea if they are still around, since mine are still going.
Jock
TGMM Family of the Bow
Hunting should be hard.

Offline tim roberts

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2010, 06:01:00 PM »
Schnee's, are a hard boot to beat!  A bit pricey, but well worth it, can be totally rebuilt, and they are made in Montana.  They are rubber bottoms, with leather uppers.
Tim

TGMM Family of the Bow

I guess if we run into the bear that is making these tracks, we oughta just get off the trail.......He seems to like it!  
My good friend Rudy Bonser, while hunting elk up Indian Creek.

Offline eidsvolling

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2010, 06:23:00 PM »
Cabela's sells boots made by Meindl in Germany, and they're having a sale right now:   Meindl boot sale .  

Meindl sells its own boots in Germany, of course, and I bet you'd be able to "pass" with some of the Cabela's versions.  Be prepared for some questions about a Meindl model that they don't see in the stores over there.

Follow this link to the Meindl Hunting boots sold in Germany:   Meindl models .  You'll see some that look identical to the Cabela's models, and I'd bet they'd be a lot cheaper if bought online from Cabela's or bought over here and shipped to you.

Offline Bent Rig

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2010, 07:15:00 PM »
LaCrosse are top for comfort in a heavy boot - but for the ultimate warmth in any boot bar absolutely none - go with the white Mickey Mouse boots(military)
Paul

Offline John Nail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2010, 07:35:00 PM »
+1 on the Schnee's
Is it too late to be what I could have been?

Offline uglyjake

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2010, 07:38:00 PM »
I think you would be happy with Schnee or LL Bean type boots.  I was over there and these type of boots should blend in fine.  You wool hat, coat and pants would be a must also.  They have some great wool in Europe.

Offline Al Dean

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2010, 07:48:00 PM »
Cabelas Outfitter boots.  Leather, water proof, different levels of insulation.  Mine are 1200 grains thinsulate.  I'm guessing still less than $150.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Spectre

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2010, 08:14:00 PM »
BOGG boots are pretty nice. Also, White's pac boots are pretty damn nice.
Gila hickory selfbow 54#
 Solstice reflex/deflex 45#

Offline Doug in MN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2010, 08:18:00 PM »
Originally posted by tim roberts:
Schnee's, are a hard boot to beat!  A bit pricey, but well worth it, can be totally rebuilt, and they are made in Montana.  They are rubber bottoms, with leather uppers.
X2 The Schnee's are very tough to beat when it is cold.

Offline Drummer@Home

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2010, 08:31:00 PM »
I spent 3 years in Augsburg, 90 to 93. Head down south to some AFRC in Gamrmish or somewhere south and look at some boots in the German shops. Germans invented mountaineering and you will find some great boots! I know the dolar sucks right now but you could find what your looking for, try it on and know what your buying first hand. Besides you can ski the Zukspitz cheep and be able to one day tell your grandkids all about it while your at it.   :thumbsup:  There is some really cool stuff over there. Dont miss it.
Zen without realization of the body is empty speculation. If I could only stop dropping the BOW!!!!!!

Offline HATCHCHASER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2010, 08:37:00 PM »
Check out Lowa boots. I think they are made over there.
It's not the arrival, it's the journey.

Offline Bent Rig

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2010, 08:44:00 PM »
Just got off the Schnees website and their best boot was only rated to -20 inactive . I have an Old pair of LaCrosse Iceman(25yrs old) that have rubber bottoms that have 3/8" polymeric insulation around the boot and a felt sole integrated in the bottm of the rubber boot , they also come with a felt boot liner , so when I bought mine I got a size larger and place another felt insole in the bottom of the felt liner - so I have three layers under my feet and by the way these are rated to -80F . My feet have never been cold and we have the weather where I live to have tested these boots to the limit in the woods and on the ice . But like I said early nothing beats the Mickeys !Just my 2cts through experience .
Paul

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2010, 01:52:00 AM »
Another thong to consider. You could buy any of a multitude of good hiking/hunting boots with around 60-1000 grams thinsulate and carry boot blankets with you for stand hunting in extreme cold weather. Less bulk and sweaty feet when moving, and the boot blankets are awesome for stand hunting.

Offline greyghost

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2010, 03:53:00 AM »
Yes, Schnee's.

Earl

Offline michaelschwister

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2010, 03:55:00 AM »
I lived in FRG from 86-89. And although cold, it is nowhere near the winters I was raised in on a farm in WI. I think the Danner Elk hunter from Cabelas with 400 gram thinsilate would be just the ticket. And they are made in the USA. I grew up with sorels in winter, then to kamiks for late season bow hunting. Now I am in my 5th winter with the Danners.  From wood cutting, mountain hunting, to winter tree stand in single digit temps. Danners rock.

Mike
"The best thing to give to your enemy is forgiveness; to a friend, your heart; to your child, a good example; to a father, deference; to your mother, conduct that will make her proud of you; to yourself, respect" - Benjamin Franklin

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©