3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Spiral Flu Flu's...more trouble  (Read 350 times)

Offline jfelkins

• Trad Bowhunter
Spiral Flu Flu's...more trouble
« on: December 19, 2010, 05:03:00 PM »
Ok, I just got my fletching tape and started building my spiral flu flu's It's sticking a lot better than the ducco I was using before except at the ends. They keep pulling up! Any tips? I'm putting a dab of super glue at the end but the fletching won't stay down long enough for the super glue to set up. Super glue is all I have right now.

Thanks!
Chekmate TD Hunter II

Love many, trust few, row your own canoe!

Offline Swamp Yankee

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Spiral Flu Flu's...more trouble
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2010, 05:05:00 PM »
Pin the end down if you're using wood shafts.
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
- William Arthur Ward
Black Widow PSAV 42#@29
Collection of Red Wing Hunters
Northern Mist Superior 43#@28
Blue Ridge Snowy Mt 51#@30"

Offline jfelkins

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2010, 05:14:00 PM »
Sorry, forgot to mention. I'm using aluminum.
Chekmate TD Hunter II

Love many, trust few, row your own canoe!

Offline Grey Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2010, 05:18:00 PM »
Spring clamps, don't worry about messing up the feather. If you don't have clamps, reinforce a clothspin with a rubberband around it and use that.

Guy
Tie two birds together; though they have four wings, they can not fly.
The Blind Master

Offline jcarter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2010, 05:39:00 PM »
go to the how to resources on this forum......

There is a how to in there for spiral flu flu's....pretty sweet!
Black Widow PCH 47@28 in
Black Widow PLX 59#@28 in

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2010, 05:47:00 PM »
The clothspin works great.
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline shortstroke 91

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2010, 07:20:00 PM »
I wrap my ends with dental floss or artificial sinew to hold the ends down good.
shortstroke 91
TBOT Life Member

"BLOOD MAKES THE GRASS GROW"

Offline greg fields

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2010, 08:12:00 PM »
I do the same as shortstroke.

Offline BCWV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2010, 08:44:00 PM »
Yep, dental floss on the ends works great.

Offline GUYZER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2010, 09:30:00 PM »
I have been making spiral flu-flu's for 30 years and
I have learned the hard way by trial and error.
First you have to be PATIENT.
I use regular fletcht-tite cement and 2 clothespin.
One to start the feather and one to finish the feather. Then I let it set for 24 hours and then I put a drop of glue at each end and your arrow is ready.

MAY THE SPIRIT OF FRED BEAR GUIDE OUR ARROWS.

Offline fish n chicks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2010, 10:25:00 PM »
I've noticed with mine, it helps to actually nock an arrow, and this is especially good if you have the nocks with the little indexing tabs, but then i'll mark the closest to the start of the feather on the outside of the shaft, and cut that with an exacto. This has helped me keep my flu-flu's pretty good. Only thing is you'll basically have a cock side to the feather at that point. Mark a little spot on the top of your nock and make sure that side always faces up.

<<<<<<>>>>>>>

Offline WhiskeyMike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2011, 03:08:00 AM »
If you buy the new spiral flu-flu feathers direct from Trueflight (half the price of regular full length) they will send step by step instructions.  I use the recommended contact cement and it's fast and very easy.  The only way to go.

Offline stringstretcher

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2011, 05:09:00 AM »
What I have found that works just great is to take the quill and soak it in water for a few minutes.  Then use a cloths pin to hold one end down and spiral the feather around a shaft and put a cloths pin on the other end.  Now let that dry.  In the mean time, take your fletching tape and put it on the shaft first, making sure to spiral it right for the wing feather you are using, and then when the feather that you pre spiraled is dry, wrap it onto your arrow on the tape you have already laid down.  Sure makes it easier than trying to keep the tape away from the shaft while spiraling.
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me [some] venison

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2011, 05:26:00 AM »
I use the spring clamps as well and also pre wrap some on another shaft the night before with just the clamps(no glue-can put 2 or 3 on a shaft)this helps in getting them to build a memory to the spiral shape. And sanding down the quill a little helps as well.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Don Batten

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2011, 05:27:00 AM »
a small pc of heatshrink tubeing at both ends works good and gives a smooth transition at the front so the quill work cut your hand if your shooting a selfbow with no shelf. DB
"The older I get, the better I was" Byron Fergenson.

Offline ronp

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2011, 06:02:00 AM »
Her is Truflights spiril flu-flu website:

http://www.trueflightfeathers.com/flu-flu.htm
Ron Purdy

TGMM Family of the Bow
MTB
NRA

Offline $bowhunter$

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2011, 09:17:00 AM »
where do you uys get the half price flu flu featherrs at? ive always made mine strait fletch but seeing the popularity of the spiral ones i might have to try them.

thanks,
steven
"SHOOT STRAIT" - something im still working twards

Online stagetek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2011, 09:54:00 AM »
ronp, Thanks for the link.

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2011, 10:04:00 AM »
I tried that link, and none of the distributors listed carries them.  Any more help on locating these half priced feathers? I don't mind using the stiffer full length, but a $ is a $.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline hova

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2011, 10:30:00 AM »
i do self nocks , so i use artificial sinew on all my fletching. start with a wrap or two of sinew , and a drop of superglue to hold that. the wicking instant type CA.

then i have had decent luck two different ways. one is to tie the tips of your feathers in now , spaced evenly around the shaft , then wrap your feathers , putting a drop of superglue along the quill here and there as you wrap , then once you get to the end , another drop of glue , and a small hair rubberband (the little black ones).

go back and wrap your other feathers the same. i just use one rubber band , but if your glue isnt setting up fast enough , just wrap a second band right below the first. then cut the first so the second fletchs lays nice an tight.

same for the third feather if you use that many , then trim the ends.

then i wrap the A. Sinew the opposite way i wrapped my feathers, weaving in and out of the barbs. kind of like wrapping hackle...

once i get to the end , i put a few wraps around the base of the feather end , and wrap a smooth layer back the the throat of where my self nock is. once i am to the throat , i put a drop or two of superglue on the whole rear threat and spread it around. then i whip finish a little ball or buildup at the base of the nock to reinforce it a little...

once thats done i go over the whole thing with superglue. front thread wraps , the criscross and the feather base as it spirals , then i coat the back threads.   havent had one come apart or move yet.

you could just wrap the front and back if you like , i just like to keep the thread i already started. another thing i started doing , was using epoxy. it doesnt soak in nearly as well as CA. it produces a shinier finish , and is a little more solid feeling , but i havent used the epoxy ones enough to know if it will crack or yellow...

almost forgot , the A. Sinew i have is 4 strand , highly waxed natural color. the big spool... i cut about 3-4' , spit the 4 strands ,and just use one strand per arra. my first arrows i used the whole piece of A. Sinew , and the wrapping really sticks up and kind of stand out on the otherwise smooth arrow.

thats just how i do it... i use dowel rods and craft store feathers so far because i dont have the loot to buy a whole bunch of turkey feathers and shafting , just to mess around in the back yard and go after bunnies.
ain't got no gas in it...mmmhmmm...

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©