3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: A Case for a Longer Bow  (Read 860 times)

Offline fedora

• Trad Bowhunter
A Case for a Longer Bow
« on: December 19, 2010, 09:52:00 PM »
I recently read the articles by Mr. Asbel in Traditional Bowhunter Magazine on the benefits to longer bows and lower poundage.  I wanted to share my experience with the group here.  I have been shooting a recurve that is 56" 54#@27 inches for a couple years and prided myself on being a pretty good shot after much coaching from this site.  Unfortunetly my back was injured and pulling that weight has become somewhat of an issue.  So, I began looking for a bow in lower poundage.  I even thought about ordering new limbs in a lower poundage for my recurve.  Fortune struck when a trade became available for a 62" recurve at 51#@29".  When I began shooting this bow it was amazing how I could consentrate on form, I gained a half inch in draw length and my accuracy increased considerably.  Additionally, I do not notice the finger pinch or have sore fingers after shooting.  If any of you are experiancing these issues I would suggest you take Mr. Asbel up on his advice. You may be suprised!

Offline rnharris

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: A Case for a Longer Bow
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2010, 10:03:00 PM »
longer is better with fingers guys that have really clean releases don't really notice that much but for the average archer imo longer bows really help with accuracy one of the most accurate bows i have shot to date was a 70" hill bow slow but i stacked arrows with that bow!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2010, 10:05:00 PM »
Every day of the week and twice on Sunday's I'd take a longer bow over a shorter one ... even at my 27" draw....
62" for Curves
66" longbows
" All that is gold does not glitter , not all those who wander are lost "
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2010, 10:08:00 PM »
I read the article by Mr. Asbel and  found myself in agreement with almost everything he said.

At 62", you've got some length you can move out to and gain a little more sweetness.

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2010, 06:17:00 AM »
add me in to that "longer is better" camp, too.

however, there are times when "shorter is better" - like perhaps in a double bull blind, set up on a wyoming prairie, and a nice fat doe wanders within 20 yards, and yer at full draw and looking down the shaft at a tuft of hair over the vitals, and ya release only to hear "WHAP!!!" as the top limb tip of yer 62" longbow smacks the blind's roof.  ask me how i know this ...    :banghead:
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2010, 06:39:00 AM »
I learned that lesson myself Rob!  Not once, but twice, on the same turkey!  :knothead:   Didn't figure it out until after he left and I looked up to see two nice tears in the top of the blind.

But instead of a shorter bow I solved the problem by getting the Double Bull recurve model blind, which added 6" in height to the blind.    :cool:
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Online Ryan Rothhaar

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2010, 07:49:00 AM »
If you think the 62 inch recurve is nice to shoot, try a true longer recurve.  In my opinion anything 62 inches and under is a "SHORT" recurve, 64 is medium, and over 64 is truly a "LONG" recurve bow.  There is a reason the old target recurves from the 60's and 70's were virtually all 66 and more inches long.

I'm 5ft 6in tall (on a good day), I'm pretty broad thru the beam and draw a true 29 1/2 inches with a recurve, though.  I shot 64 inch recurves for years, but I went to an old Jack Howard Jet this fall at 66 inches and it is a beauty!  For the record, I've NEVER had a problem hunting with longer recurves from treestands (95% of my hunting) and in ground blinds I just make sure I have the room (like Joe said, get the "recurve model").

Ryan

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2010, 07:52:00 AM »
I have always liked a longer bow.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2010, 07:56:00 AM »
i once hunted whitetail with my 69" 44# hoyt pro medalist target recurve (white limbs covered in olive drab tape) - man, was that a sweet shootin' recurve!!!!  old earl built 'em right!
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline dad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2010, 09:12:00 AM »
I went from a 60" 28.5 draw and when I switched limbs to 64" I gained 2" of draw which is now 30.5 and that added a extra 6# to the bow. My limbs are 64" @ 28 and 38# are now 44# at 30.5

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2010, 09:18:00 AM »
Since switching to the longer LB's its all I've used for over 3 decades. Prefer 70". Never shot from an enclosed blind. No problem shooting from trees or on the ground. 31" draw.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline Roy Steele

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2010, 09:28:00 AM »
You fine out you just plain enjoy shooting ALOT more.

Dead is dead no matter how fast your arrow gets there.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
 20 YEARS LEARNING 20 YEARS DOING  20 YEARS TEACHING
  CROOKETARROW

Offline hvyhitter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2010, 10:10:00 AM »
Longer works better for me.....Have fat/damaged fingers so a sloppy release. Long and heavy bows cure alot of my issues and have learned to hunt with those bows with no problems. I cant shoot anything less than 58 with any kind of consistancy so I dont even go there.........
Bowhunting is "KILL and EAT" not "Catch and Release".....Semper Fi!

Offline dad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2010, 09:30:00 AM »
I have also found that I'm not all tensed up after I shoot. Also my fingers don"t swell or hurt as much.

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2010, 10:59:00 AM »
I have a 30 inch draw and have found what you gents have except...I have a nice, "short" Stalker recurve at 58in. It is my treestand/ground blind bow because it is shorter than my longbows (all 64 inches) and I don't notice ANY finger pinch with it. My ground-pounder, elk-hunter, non-blind/treestand bow is still a nice LONGbow with wood arras though, mainly 'cause life is too SHORT to shoot one bow  :)
Mike Davenport

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2010, 11:19:00 AM »
Here's another fan of the joys of shooting longer bows, but like others have mentioned, it has its problems in some hunting situations.

I notice heavier weight bows seem to pull easier with longer bows and my accuracy improves.  Yep, 60"-62" recurve and 64-66" longbows work just, however, there are some quality short sticks out there that works just fine also.
Lon Scott

Offline Ricoh

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2010, 01:01:00 PM »
I have always shot 64" Widows. Have shot lots of other shorter bows but nothing like a sweet 64 incher.

Rick

Offline Larry m

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2010, 03:06:00 PM »
As I have grown in age my bows have gotten longer and lbs have gone lower. I prefer recurves at 66" and longbows at 68" and both in the low 40 lbs. Matched up with the right arrows you still get excellent cast and penetration.

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2010, 04:48:00 PM »
I prefer them longer also. Like Rob, I have a 29" draw. My Hills are 68" 68" and 70". I have no issues shooting them.
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Offline Hopewell Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2010, 06:27:00 PM »
I wouldn't believe it until I tried it. Always thought of myself as a short bow guy, but got a real good deal here on a 66" Mowhawk, 54#@28". I like everything about that bow. Also read BOTH of Fred Asbells articles on the advantages of the short and long bow. Liked the talk about improved accuracy with the longer bow (ala Olympic archers).
TOM

WHAT EACH OF US DOES IS OF ULTIMATE IMPORTANCE.
Wendell Berry

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©