3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Burner or Chopper...  (Read 611 times)

Offline OkKeith

• Trad Bowhunter
Burner or Chopper...
« on: December 19, 2010, 11:13:00 PM »
I am looking to invest in some sort of gizmo to shape the turkey feathers I have been collecting.

Feather burners look cool and provide various shapes and sizes but are high doller (for me anyways). The choppers are less expensive but, as I understand them, are limited on size and shape for each unit.

What is the better investment? If I get the burner it whacks a good part of my "Just for Fun Things" account. To cover my fletching needs and Lisa's (5 inch for me, 4 for her) I would need two choppers.

Up until now I have purchased all my feathers pre-cut. Now I have a whole bunch of turkey wing feathers to use.

What does everyone think?

OkKeith
In a moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing. The worst thing you can do is nothing.
Theodore Roosevelt

Offline S Biles

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Burner or Chopper...
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2010, 11:31:00 PM »
You can purchase feather choppers for about 20.00 each. Mike at the nocking point sells them. I have used them for years and they work great. Never tried the burners.

Offline GWC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2010, 11:37:00 PM »
I havent used them yet but just saw a chopper called "The Little Chopper" and think they were $20 bucks a piece.$40 bucks for two of them would still probably be cheaper than a burner.But thats just my unexperienced opinion,im just getting started with arrow working.
Just Takn A Day At A Time

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2010, 11:53:00 PM »
For me I like a burner,I just was never really satisfied with a chopper.Inconsistent cuts depending on the quill.I think it comes down to how much you want to do.I bought a chopper years ago,did 3 dozen feathers,just wasn't happy with them.Then I bought my burner,still going after 15 years of use.With a chopper you are limited to one style or size.With a burner you are unlimited,but will cost more in the begining.

Offline Brently

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2010, 12:24:00 AM »
I use the chopper, am satisfied with how it works.  I have several different shapes, you can also modify them to get lower feather shapes etc.  A feather burner would be nice too but i have neighbors and they might not like the smell of burning turkey feathers and I also like to live in the area also!!!

Offline Grey Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2010, 12:49:00 AM »
It's kind of a toss up.
I normally use choppers and have a small pile of the critters. But then, for my purposes, where I have to duplicate feather shapes from one set of arrow to another, that's what works best for me.
Burners give you pretty unlimited shapes and removes the uneven cuts that choppers occasionally give. But they are more expensive.
I think you'll have to look at your requirements to see what works best for you. You mention having to do two lengths of fletch, but will you be satisfied with only two shapes (two choppers)? As soon as you buy a third chopper to get another feather shape you'll be nearing the cost of a burner.
Ultimately, it's going to be a decision on what will work best for you, not me, not Fred, and not Harry... you.

Sorry, raining like crazy today and I've got cabin fever.

Guy
Tie two birds together; though they have four wings, they can not fly.
The Blind Master

Offline greyghost

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2010, 03:49:00 AM »
I have used both and really got good results with both. Me, I lean towards the burner for its versatility. Thats when I was doing arrows and  feathers for other folks.

But your question on investment if I was just doing it for myself and used only one style I would use the chopper.

Earl

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2010, 06:09:00 AM »
burners - customisable, smokey and stinky, but quiet

choppers - non-customisable, no smoke or stink, but noisy

take yer pick, they'll both get the job done right.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Bobby Urban

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2010, 06:49:00 AM »
I like to burn because I can do any shape I want but it is stinky and you almost always scald part of your cap dip or crest on an arrow or two(at least I do)  I have 4 burners so I can be set up four different styles and sizes w/o changing wires.  Another cheap option is cutting with scissors.  You can make a pattern with  stiff cardboard or better yet, tin.  Epoxy the pattern to a pinch clamp and cut them with scissors or a razor blade.  If you make the pattern from tin you can actually clamp, cut close and wave a torch across the edge to get a real smooth fletch.  Just another option on a budget.  I have also fletched arrows and just eyeballed the cut with scissors after the arrows are glued up with relatively good results.  With a steady hand it is not that tough.  Your arrows fly fine and the deer never complain that they are being shot with slightly less than perfect fletching.
Bob Urban

Offline BCWV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2010, 06:53:00 AM »
Like Greg said, it's a personal thing. Saying that, I bought a burner a few months ago and I think it's the best thing since sliced bread. No more chopping for me!

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2010, 06:59:00 AM »
I prefer the burner so I can make my own design and feel special. It is fun and easy.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Online Littlejake

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2010, 07:57:00 AM »
I like a chopper can live with a little inconsistent cut sometimes. My wife gets
really unhappy when I use a burner...
Try and be the person your dog thinks you are...
PBS Regular Member

Offline fireman_3311

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2010, 07:58:00 AM »
Little chopper!
Official Measurer for Boone and Crockett, Pope and Young, Compton's, Longhunters, and both Mo books.  Have tape, will travel!!!

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2010, 09:04:00 AM »
Used both. Burning is much easier to change shapes & use overall. If you use it in the house, you'll catch Hell from the stink.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline Roy Steele

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2010, 09:40:00 AM »
I've choped for 25 years.But your limited to shaps so I burnwhen I need to. But befer to chop when I can.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
 20 YEARS LEARNING 20 YEARS DOING  20 YEARS TEACHING
  CROOKETARROW

Offline Jimbow39

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2010, 09:53:00 AM »
IMHO Get a burner. Burners can have unlimited shapes and sizes and are not wing specific as most choppers are. The banana chopper is the only one not wing specific.

Offline hova

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2010, 10:21:00 AM »
so far i just use scissors. i have been tossing around the idea of using some leftover nichrome wire to make a burner , but have held off cause i know what burning feathers smells like from tying flies...

just like everything else , its all personal preference. if i was going to buy something , it would be whatever was the most versatile. that would be a burner...

-hov
ain't got no gas in it...mmmhmmm...

Offline CG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2010, 10:31:00 AM »
Inconsistency on the choppers bothers me some, but I'll readily admit that I may be a little too particular in that area.

Having said that, a chopper can be way more flexible in sizes, etc. if you are willing to be a little creative.  

First off, although they are marked as either LW or RW, I routinely cut both from my LW chopper and can't see where it makes any difference.

Secondly, mine is a 5.5" shield, but I can make about any length shield cut using it fairly easily.  I'll put the feather to the "front" of the chopper to cut the height or profile, then move it back to the rear to cut the back profile.  I've put some marks on mine so I know where to hold the leading edge of the feather to get the desired length.  I've done dozens of 4" shield for my kid's arrows like this.

So, again, with some creativity they can be fairly flexible.

Having said all of that, I mostly use die cuts, and am saving some turkey feathers for the day I finally get a burner.

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2010, 11:25:00 AM »
I have both the choppers and a burner. I've used the choppers for years with good results, but I have been progressing toward a lot of spliced feathers for my own arrows. The burner is much easier than trying to line up pieces that have been cut. I think that over a few years you may be happier with the options a burner gives you. Extra wires give unlimited shapes and sizes.
Also my wife must be the only one who doesn't care if I burn indoors. It doens't bother her at all.
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Offline OkKeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2010, 07:28:00 PM »
This has been a HUGE amount of information. I still haven't figured out what I'm gonna do yet though.

I have looked at the "Little Chopper" brand and others. They all look pretty solid and have good reviews. Some of you have mentioned occasional problems with inconsitancy. What does this entail? I worked pretty hard at collecting all these feathers. I sure would hate to bugger any of them.

What brands of burners have a reliable reputation? How often do they burn-out? Do the wires burn up? Somebody mentioned scorching cap-dips and cresting. Is this a common occurance? I know NOTHING about these things.

Like I said, I'm still on the fence.

Thanks VERY MUCH for all the advice.

OkKeith
In a moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing. The worst thing you can do is nothing.
Theodore Roosevelt

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©