3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Kids arrows for christmas....  (Read 172 times)

Offline saumensch

• Trad Bowhunter
Kids arrows for christmas....
« on: December 20, 2010, 06:36:00 AM »
Hi,

me and my girlfriend have a special christmas present for her 2 godchilds: We will build with them a PVC Tube Bow each and some arrows. We also already bought armguards and gloves for them.

Now about the arrows:

Any ideas how i could make up some cheap arrows for these kids?
I was thinking about wood dowels from the hardware store but dont know wich diameter is should take.
The bows will be definately under 20#.
Or is spine etc. not crucial with kids bows?

Any advice welcome! Thanks!
Axel
And sometimes our dreams they float like anchors in hopeless waters oh way down here
Sometimes it seems that all that matters most are all the things that you can't keep
(William Elliot Whitmore)

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Kids arrows for christmas....
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2010, 06:57:00 AM »
1/4 inch dowels I think some of the craft store sell dowels that are made of better wood(will stay straight)but HD or Lowes has oak,poplar,and ramin wood.satin and poly them up and good to go.3R has the silver crimp on tips for target arrows and they are cheap.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2010, 10:51:00 AM »
I have seen lots of 100 at 3R and others that are 1/4" and they are specifically for kids.  Cheap and might be exactly what you need.
ChuckC

Offline RusD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2010, 11:01:00 AM »
This sounds familiar, I am doing the same for my boy.  Just put the bow together last night.  I ordered 1/4" ramin wood shafts from Kustom King; a dozen 24" shafts for like 3 or 4 bucks.  1/4" T nocks, short feathers, and some bunny busters.  I haven't put the arrows together yet, but all together it was under $15 I think.  Hopefully they turn out good.  Good Luck!

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2010, 03:38:00 PM »
1/4" x 24" arrows will really zip out of a 20# bow.  I built some for my grandkids and their 20# Little Bear.  Use 3" fletch.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Davesea

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2010, 08:05:00 PM »
I made a couple dozen for my daughters.  Used 1/4" x 24" from Kustom King.  Stained them and fletched them to match the quivers I made.

"Anyone can make a bow, but it takes skill and experience to make an arrow"  ISHI

Offline bigugly1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2010, 08:23:00 PM »
I just take all my damaged arrows and cut them down to size. They always seem to shoot just fine with them. Our club has a barrle full of miss shot arrows that they just empty out twice a year. I end up with some of them too, if they are anything like my kids there will be arrows lost. Plus I enjoy making use out of otherwise no good arrows.

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2010, 05:38:00 PM »
If you can find some 1/4" ramin, that would be the best.  I have a bunch, but shipping to Germany would be kinda pricey.  Spine doesn't seem to be too critical, but I sort them into two stiffness groups.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©