3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Dry Leather  (Read 164 times)

Offline misfire

• Trad Bowhunter
Dry Leather
« on: December 20, 2010, 08:20:00 AM »
My apologies if this subject has been discussed. I searched but didn't find any threads on it.

I recently purchased a back quiver online. When it arrived I noticed the leather was dry. Still pliable but dry like it had been a display item for several years. I assume this because the back is darker in color than the front.

Anyways, I was wondering if someone could give me suggestions on some good leather reconditioners

Thanks and Merry Christmas.
Mark

"The shortest distance from the earth to your mouth is the best." ~Wendell Berry~

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Dry Leather
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2010, 08:48:00 AM »
Neets Foot Oil would give it a good soak & penetrate quick. After, I use a mink oil paste or similar. On my desk now is a half tub of Bulla-Bulla butter which is excellent conditioner to make stiff leather pliant.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2010, 08:58:00 AM »
As I type this reply to your question I am looking at my Danner Pronghorns that I lovingly caressed last night with Montana Pitch Blend from 3 Rivers, a sponsor here. A fellow tradganger turned me on to Montana Pitch Blend several years ago. Simply an awesome product !
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Offline bctgrad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2010, 09:11:00 AM »
Russell Moccasin's website has a great article on leather care and reconditioning.  I've used this process to revive my 20 year old back quiver and use Obenauf's on all my leather.  

I hope it's ok to post this link:

http://www.russellmoccasin.com/leather_care.html

Brian

Offline Danny J

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2010, 10:59:00 AM »
I have used Montana Pitch and Obenaufs and they both have met my expectations nicely. I use a hair dryer to help the leather soak up the conditioner, or fireplace heat or what ever is warm and available. Not hot. I have also read not to use anything with silicone in it. I dont know if that is correct or not, but I have still chosen not to use conditioners with silicone in it.
IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, PLEASE FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM.

Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"

Offline chanumpa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2010, 11:24:00 AM »
Obernaufs is about as good as it gets.That is nice to know about that Montana pitch.Will get some and try it out.

Offline misfire

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2010, 11:42:00 AM »
Gentlemen thanks for your quick responses and suggestions. I will work on getting these products and going to work on the quiver.

Thanks again
Mark

"The shortest distance from the earth to your mouth is the best." ~Wendell Berry~

Offline greyghost

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2010, 11:58:00 AM »
Mark, like said, nothing like Dry Camp Neats Foot Oil to soften up leather and Montana Pitch Blend for conditioning and  making leather a little water resistent.

Just went over all my leather products yesterday and last night.

Earl

Offline Mojo Rising

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2010, 02:29:00 PM »
Obenauf's definately!
TGMM Family of The Bow
Morrison ILF

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©