3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Carbon Arrow Shaft Confusion  (Read 193 times)

Offline Gulf Coast Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
Carbon Arrow Shaft Confusion
« on: December 20, 2010, 09:44:00 AM »
Okay, so I feel dumb asking this.  I have read a lot of posts and looked at calculators etc.  I am trying to figure out what Carbon shaft I should start with when my bow arrives (hopefully today).

I bought a Damon Howatt Hunter on **** (I think 1982)
It is 45# at 28" and I draw 30.5" or so (so approx 51-53# at my draw length)
I plan to use 125 grain tips.
I plan to use 32" arrows with 4" feathers.
I plan to hunt pigs with it in the future.

I think I should start with Carbon 400 arrows at 32" based on the things that I have read.  The calculators seem to indicate Carbon 340, but it is unclear to me.

Does this sound reasonable?  Any advice would be appreciated.
Chris

Offline highpoint forge

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Carbon Arrow Shaft Confusion
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2010, 10:05:00 AM »
Assuming your bow uses a Dacron B50 string and shelf is cut +1/16 shy of center, a Generic 400 carbon cut to 32" with a regular insert and nock, 125gr point with 30 gr adapter, is pretty darn near exact to your bow's needs. I ran the numbers on Stu's calculator and it was .6 lb off from an exact dynamic spine match.

Arrow info:

32" generic carbon 400
total point end weight is 165gr
12 grains in the tail (nock + wrap perhaps)
4" feathers

From your bow:

475gr
9.2gpp
15.5% foc
186.8 fps

Get a bareshaft kit and see what flies the best using this as a starting point. Fine tune brace height, form, etc. from there. Your mileage may vary.
Black Widow PSAX Bocote 57# @28, 58 AMO
Black Widow PLX Tiger Myrtle 60# @28, 64 AMO
J.D. Berry Osage Argos 60# @28, 66 AMO

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2010, 10:17:00 AM »
A test pack is a great tool,I think I would go with a 400 if you want to use a 125 gr. point.A 340 may work but I think you would need more weight upfront.Your bow is a dacron bow,if the 400 would show weak you can build out the side plate alittle or raise brace height some.

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2010, 10:43:00 AM »
A 340 with only 125gn up front would be way, way too stiff. A 400 could be about right, but even then you may need a heavy (75gn+) insert. Try a 500 spine with that point weight & cut it until it's either right or too short.

Just to give you an apples/oranges comparison, I'm shooting a Morrison Cheyenne, 63# @ 31" & to get a 340 to shoot right I'm shooting a 250gn point with 100gn insert. This gives me a good arrow weight & pretty high FOC too. If I want a lighter arrow (Handy for those long 3D shoots) I shoot a 400 with aluminum insert (13gn I think) & 125gn points.

One thing to remember with carbons (well, a few things actually...) Length will affect the spine a lot more sverely than changing point weight. A ¼" cut off will drastically alter the spine, adding or subtracting even 50gn will make little difference. Let the arrow tell you what point weight to use, don't be too set in stone on using one particular weight, it may not work out as you'd wish. Don't fuss over arrow length, you'll need to start at full length & with your draw length & weight, probably won't need to trim much, if anything. If you cut them at 32" before you begin tuning, chances are they'll be too short & you'll need to load the hell outta the front end to bring them back (length being more influential than weight...)
Most people I know are shooting arrows that are wa too stiff (Not that you can tell them any different....) For some reason people think that their bows need an arrow that is far too stiff.
Personally if I were you, I'd be starting with a 500 spine shaft & 125 point & trim & trim until it flies well. I bet it's closer to being right than you'd think  ;)

Make sure to bareshaft (if that's what you're doing) right out to 20yds plus. Again, a lot of flks seem to bareshaft to 10 yards & think that's good enough. The further, the better. I personally don't stop fiddling until I'm at 40 yds, but I'm a little more anal about these things than most.
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2010, 06:26:00 PM »
This was very helpful.  I googled Stu's calculator and have that now.

I am still not fully decided.  My bow didn't come today anyway.  Ugh.  USPS is slooow right now.  Was supposed to be here Friday.

I feel armed now to discuss with the pro shop.

Thank you.
Chris

Offline chanumpa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2010, 07:30:00 PM »
Not a dumb question at all.You got the right answers from the pros above and didnt buy the wrong ones like I have done a timre or two.Good job.Best of luck with that new set up.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2010, 08:05:00 PM »
what robtattoo said,

carbons typically exemplify a stiffer dynamic spine and you may find, as i do, that a 500 carbon can easily fill the bill for 50-55# @ 29" with 250-350 up front.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2010, 07:08:00 AM »
Some 500 spines won't be long enough for your set up. With that draw length, you will find that a 400 will work the best. worst case, you may have to add a little weight up front. That will only help  you anyway. Also leave the shaft full length.

BigJim
http://www.bigjimsbowcompany.com/      
I just try to live my life in a way that would have made my father proud.

Offline Carbon Jack

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2010, 10:16:00 AM »
All I've shot is carbon for the last 15 years. I use them in bows with little centercut like Howard Hill bows, and for modern designs with recurve-like centercut. Have never had any problems getting superb arrow flight. In fact, I get much better flight than I ever got with wood or alloy.

I do not find carbon shaft length all that big a deal. Mostly I shoot 55-60 pound bows at my 27 inch draw length. Beman 500s are all I shoot now. In the past I used other versions of carbon shafting with very good results too. I cut my shafts to 28.5" and leave it at that.

Maybe we all have greatly differing releases, but I've never had shafts too stiff or too light. My arrows leave all my bows like darts with no tail wagging. Have never had any problems at all.

I do not go for great total arrow weight or forward weight. Always shoot 125gr points with the standard alloy insert for 145gr total. Be this a field point or broadhead. I don't worry about arrow weight. I only hunt deer and do not need to shoot through Cape Buffalo. Light carbons at decent speed have no trouble with whitetail deer. I shoot through all of mine.

It always leaves me scratching my head to read of others having trouble making carbon fly properly. It is just this "insensitivity" that makes carbon my first choice. That and their durability and straightness.

I tend to think many traditional shooters are just inclined to resist such modern arrow shafting. This I understand. I happen to hate plastic handgun frames like Glock. I know they are good guns, I just like steel in my 1911s better. I guess this makes me a more traditional handgunner than archer. lol

Jack

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2010, 01:24:00 PM »
My bow came in, FINALLY.  Headed to the pro-shop to get my arrows made.  Can't wait to shoot.   :)   I need a bow stringer to even put the string on so I haven't verified how much stacking I will get, if any, off the 62" Damon Howatt.  I just hope I made the right choice - not being able to test before buying. It is a beautiful bow though.
Chris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2010, 10:22:00 PM »
Shoots great!  Very tight groups.  Very quiet without even silencing yet.  I am super happy!  Ended up using the Carbon 400's at full length with 5" feathers.  My draw length turns out to be just under 31".  I left the shafts at full length.  Now I get to play with brace heights.  The new string keeps stretching.  Lots to learn before I go sticking pigs.   :)
Chris

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©