3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Deer trail widths..Any Real Meaning to it?  (Read 478 times)

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Deer trail widths..Any Real Meaning to it?
« on: December 20, 2010, 11:09:00 AM »
Hello,

In one of my new hunting areas there are a few trails. They are far enough apart I can't hunt them all at once.
This being a new spot and about the end of the season I haven't been able to pattern them well.

One thing about the trails that is easy to see with the snow on the ground, Some are straight line type trails that are only about 6" wide and trampled right to the ground. Others are wider (2' or so) and meander through the woods.

Both types are fairly well used judging from the individual tracks.

Is there a correlation between trail width and relative "straightness" that gives the trail away as a night use trail or some other important info?

Thank you
     :thumbsup:
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Deer trail widths..Any Real Meaning to it?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2010, 11:37:00 AM »
My guess would be the well used, wider trails are used primarily by does and other family members and the smaller one are possibly buck trails. Generally, in my experience, the buck trails parallel the doe trails but unlike the does they like traveling alone.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2010, 11:45:00 AM »
Originally posted by Pat B:
My guess would be the well used, wider trails are used primarily by does and other family members and the smaller one are possibly buck trails. Generally, in my experience, the buck trails parallel the doe trails but unlike the does they like traveling alone.
X2

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2010, 03:49:00 PM »
Thank you for the thoughts guys.
   :thumbsup:

The skinny trails do sorta parallel some of the wider trails from about 60yds away.
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline Gen273

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2010, 06:09:00 PM »
I have often seen that a main trail (wide wore out trail) will have a less obvious trail that will parallel it at a distance of 10-50 yards.

I have also seen that the less obvious or parallel trail is often used by bucks early in the season and pre-rut. However when the rut comes all bets are off.

I Hang most of my stands between the main trail and the secondary trail. If you pay close attention you will more than likely see that the less obvious (parallel trail) will either have more cover or be closer to thick cover. I think that is why the bucks prefer the parallel trail.

That is my 2 cents worth. Happy Hunting!
Jesus Saves (ROM 10:13)

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2010, 06:14:00 PM »
The wider one that wanders, check to see if the deer are browsing as they move.....does and yearlings. Also see where they lead....to bedding, food, it can be like a book, you just have to read it!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline drewsbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2010, 06:18:00 PM »
I agree with Gen273 and would add that terrain will at times create narrow trails where steep and wider on more level ground.  Drew
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are :0)
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member
BigJim 3 pc buffalo 48@28
BigJim thunderchild 55@31
BigJim thunderchild 55@32 Jim's bow

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2010, 06:22:00 PM »
Tough call without seeing the whole area. Good advice here, just have to see if it applys to that particular area.
 I once found a straight as an arrow trail that went for about 50 yards. It was late summer and pretty dense foliage. The rest before and after was very meandering. I couldnt see any reason why, the terrain didn't change, etc. I found out!  As I followed it, about twenty yards in I started to see yellow jackets. There was a big underground nest about 30-40 feet off the deer trail. I think they were putting the pedal down in that one spot to get past those hornets...pretty cool.
David M. Conroy

Offline LC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2010, 06:26:00 PM »
My thoughts are wide and deep trails are usually used by does or family groups and without snow they are usually more obvious on steep slopes etc. Now buck trails in my area usually don't parrell the doe trails although sometimes they do in thick areas but mostly they intersect them. These will be faint and not so visible trails but usually there will be bucks rubs at the intersection depending on the year and mast conditions. Your first thought is to put a tree stand up right there! During the early season this may work but usually your ahead to back track the faint trail closer to a bedding area where it usually fans out and find something that acts like a funnel there. JMHO>
Most people get rich by making more money than they have needs, me, I just reduced my needs!

Offline wildgame

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2010, 06:28:00 PM »
i agree with lc!
"go afield with good attitude,and with respect for the wildlife you hunt, and the forest and fields in which you walk" -Fred Bear

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2010, 06:37:00 PM »
A single deer using a trail daily can cause a narrow one, but so can the terrane and cover type and change.  I have seen a single yearling doe lay down a heavy narrow trail like a buck.  There are many variable to trails, and how deer use them..
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2010, 06:37:00 PM »
Another version is that the straight trail is there because they are going somewhere, like now.  The other shows a more wandering pace.  One may be positioned where there is browse and the other no browse.  Or any of a dozen other explainations.
ChuckC

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2010, 06:56:00 PM »
Originally posted by Pat B:
Yep....and you can redirect trails so that you DO have more than on in range.

I use to hunt a place that had 2 trails in range and a 3rd just out...so I used brush to redirect the trail to were it was in range.  I also disturbed the ground around the brush to make it look like deer had been traveling it till it intersected that 3rd trail again.  I also put down doe pee in it.  Worked like a charm.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2010, 07:27:00 PM »
cool idea Terry!

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2010, 07:28:00 PM »
I can think of two things I've experieced.

1. The more narrow trail is used by fewer deer and likely bucks as has been written above. However, you suggest both trails (wide and narrow) are used by an equal number of deer?  I would expect the "buck trail" to be more lightly used. Of course when bucks are trailing does, I'd want to be on the heavier one.

2. Of course if the terrain/cover is more diffuse in one area and thick in another, I'd expect more of a meandering trail in the diffuse (open) area than in the thick area.

I have tried to direct trail use three times in 40+ years with varying success.

In Northern Indiana (Kingsbury FW Area) I put dirty socks on two parallel trails that were too far from my my stand. I watched, that first night two different deer "bounce" off the sock-laced trails and come right to me on the close one -- I missed both deer, barely.

Another time I built a brushpile (not tall enough)on a trail that was 6-7 yards further from me than I wanted and up against a government fence. The first doe to come down this trail and hit my barricade ....jumped the dad-burned brushpile. Foiled again.  I was surprised the doe would go to the trouble of jumping when she could have walked around it and meet my arrow.

A couple of times I've tied strands of barb-wire (where the landowner wouldn't mind) together to create a low-crossing.

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2010, 08:13:00 PM »
Great info everyone.
I guess I don't know enough to include the important details...not really sure what the important details are I suppose.

Thank you..I have a lot to learn.

Offline SL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2010, 09:16:00 PM »
I have had good luck doing as others have said. I also have had good luck finding the pinch point in the area the trails are traveling. This could be anything from a fallen tree to a steep hill,creek, fence etc. You can also find where those trails intersect if you can do so without spooking or scenting up the area. The real key is dont disturb them while doing so if your hunting the area.
Good luck

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2010, 09:20:00 PM »
From one Michigan bowhunter to another...the most beaten and used trails are almost always used during the non-hunting hours.

A new area is always a challenge to decipher.
The snow is a great help.

I recommend hunting the rest of the season as best you can, and then put your feet to work, and figure out where they are going when the season closes.

I have found "straightness" to be a major indicator of a nighttime trail. They are just making tracks and getting to a destination. The easier the better for them.
Beaten paths, and straightness often go together.

Snow is a gift...until after deer season.

Offline gobblegrunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2010, 09:36:00 PM »
This is a VERY educational thread. I'm glad to have stumbled across it! Great info/opinions everyone!
"It's not about inches or antlers..."     ~Bill Langer

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2010, 09:58:00 PM »
If you are hunting for anything and not just trying to zero in on bucks, especially since it's late season and the rut is all but a memory........I would hunt the trails with the most tracks in it and the most well used.
That's where the best chance of seeing deer will be, and even if by some strange chance there is still a doe in heat, she may just bring that buck right down the trail past you?

I'll take a doe trail anyday, unless it's early season before the rut and that's a whole different animal.
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©