3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Deer trail widths..Any Real Meaning to it?  (Read 477 times)

Offline Robert Honaker

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Deer trail widths..Any Real Meaning to it?
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2010, 10:17:00 PM »
The wider meandering trails indicate that you are getting close to bedding areas.

Narrow trails = deer on a mission.

Offline onewhohasfun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2010, 07:14:00 AM »
I gotta disagree. The closest trail to the cornfield will be the biggest . It is the same for humans. You leave work, get on the freeway, next a major highway takes you to a secondary county road and finally to a small road that leads right to your house. I have aerial photos that bear this out. Smallest trails closest to beddind areas getting larger as more deer congregate near feeding areas.
Tom

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2010, 07:37:00 AM »
You guys are both right, all depends on your particular area. Hunting deer sure isn't a turnkey activity is it??
David M. Conroy

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2010, 07:44:00 AM »
are there bait piles in your area ?  Another kicker ?  

I have seen trails straight as can be..  from one bait pile to another.
ChuckC

Offline Robert Honaker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2010, 09:33:00 AM »
There is no agriculture where I hunt, just big woods. The trails are narrow between bedding and feeding then spread out in feeding ares.

You can tell when they are feeding, so if the trail widens and meanders with no major feeding sign....bedding close.  

That's what it is here anyway, but I can see where you are coming from onewhohasfun.

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2010, 10:00:00 AM »
5 or so years ago we had a hit and miss acorn crop.  5 white oak trees on the place I hunt had nuts and the rest seemed barren.  The trails were straight and deep between the 5.

I hunted in the snow this weekend and trailed a cagey big buck (I actually saw him) from one patch of dense cover to another, nearly straightline.  As we approached the dense cover, the trails were very obvious, straight and were probably made just by him.  I crossed dozens of other meandering trails along the way.  His bedding areas were extremely well chosen and nearly unapproachable.  I'm sure he doesn't move much in daylight right now.

I hunted the same ground last weekend and found where terrain forced all the deer through a saddle in a ridge.  The meandering trails all funneled into a single trail for half mile.  This single trail was like a cattle trail, muddy and deep.  That's what you are looking for if you want to kill any deer right now and especially during the rut if you are waiting on a buck.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©