3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Moths  (Read 456 times)

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Moths
« on: December 20, 2010, 01:25:00 PM »
I never worried much about moths until I got some expensive wool hunting clothes, and ironically, I never had much of a problem with moths until recently, either.

I wore wool suits for most of the years I was working, and don't remember getting any moth holes in them.

Then a few months ago, I was going over some of my old clothes, including some old wool suits, to see if I wanted to keep them any longer.  One of my old wool suits had maybe a half dozen moth holes in it and the pants.  Obviously, that one got thrown out.  Then I found an old wool ski cap that had a half dozen moth holes in it.  Neither of these things were things that I cared about, but it's like the moths are playing games with me now.  I have a lot of wool things with no sign of moth damage, but it seems like they pick one thing and really destroy it.

So I put a bunch of wool things I care about in bags with moth balls, but my wife hated the smell of the moth balls and it was either going to be them or her, so I got rid of the moth balls.

I've also heard that cedar closets, which my wife wouldn't mind, are really not that effective against moths.

I don't understand much about moths, and the stuff I find on the internet is vague.  Are moths a problem all year, or just in the summer?  In other words, can I keep the wool stuff out during the winter when I'm using it, and just store it somewhere out of the house in moth balls during the spring and summer?

It seems like there ought to be something better than moth balls.  Is there?
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Moths
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2010, 01:27:00 PM »
Keep them in a Tupperware bin.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Lin Rhea

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2010, 01:30:00 PM »
I dont know. I hate moth balls but have to put up with the smell since I too have purchased some wool articles. I'd hate to see my Filson wool ate up. I will be watching the replies.
"We dont rent pigs." Augustus McCrae
ABS Master Bladesmith
TGMM Family of the Bow
Dwyer Dauntless longbow 50 @ 28
Ben Pearson recurve 50 @ 28
Tall Tines Recurve 47@28
McCullough Griffin longbow 43@28

Offline limbolt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2010, 01:41:00 PM »
I store all my wool in the sealable totes,helps with the mothes and odors.

Offline Junction hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2010, 01:43:00 PM »
Put all my wool hunting clothes in a bag with a dirt dryer sheet. Then put them into a Tupperware box. That works to keep out the moths. Other wool clothing and blankets I store with moth balls.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2010, 01:48:00 PM »
You can also get different size plastic hanging bags to store stuff in that will hang in your closet.  I store my wool sportcoats and suits in one that will hold 10 hangers and zips up on the side for easy access.

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2010, 01:52:00 PM »
I don't know if this will help but I hunt out of a lot of cedar trees and I never see any bugs on them. So if you put some cedar shavings in the tupperware bin maybe you wont get moths.   :dunno:
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2010, 02:01:00 PM »
BTW....the moths don't eat the wool.  They lay their eggs in the wool and the larva eat it when they hatch.

We treat our wool carpet for this very thing.

Offline Huntschool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2010, 02:11:00 PM »
Off again/on again...  Have had moth damage but recently, no.

I have used cedar shavings in the bottom of a tote for several years.  No damage and I would have been surprised if there was.

I use several large storage suit bags like Terry refers to for my wool suits and heavier jackets and sweaters.  I also puy some cedar shavings in cheese cloth bags in the bottom of them.  The scent is not so overpowering that you can't wear the suits.  In fact I have been asked politely what aftershave I was using.
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator (retired)
Southeastern Illinois College
NSCA Level III Instructor
Black Widow Bows
AMM 761

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2010, 02:23:00 PM »
Get some Rosemary (the herb) on the stem.  I use it to protect my fly-tying feathers and furs as well as tossing it in my hunting closet & sock drawer.  Wifey loves the smell (and she hates the smell of mothballs).

Has to be the dried leaves of the "real" plant, I am told, not the dried & powdered spice.  I plant some each year in our garden.

Goes good on venison & chicken, too.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline ermont

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2010, 05:01:00 PM »
I've heard the Rosemary trick works well. Stay away from the mothballs.

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2010, 05:11:00 PM »
I use ceder bedding! I put it in a mesh dryer bag and put it in the bottom of a tote. I guess it works, Havent' had any problems yet! Jason

Offline stringstretcher

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2010, 07:38:00 PM »
I use the cedar pet bedding also, not only on wool, but in my feather containers.  Remember the old wise tale,"keep anything you value in the cedar chest".  Been using it for years and have never had moths in my wool or feathers. And it sure smells better than moth balls
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me [some] venison

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2010, 08:16:00 PM »
We store our wool in a linen bag that still allows the wool to breath. Plastic bins work well also. The larvae can do some bad stuff in a short order,Trust me,I have tossed out some good wool because of them.
Chuck
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2010, 08:35:00 PM »
Question for Chuck and Terry:

Do you leave the wool in the containers all year long, or just during the summer months?
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline greyghost

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2010, 08:38:00 PM »
Clothing bags and plastic storage bins here.

Earl

Offline Day Dreamer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2010, 09:38:00 PM »
if your worried about your hunting wool, Ive read that a sure way to kill any larvae or moths is freezing temps for a few days. Thats what I do when I buy used wool. I throw a garment in the freezer for 4 days and then I put with my good wool. The study was done by the Univ. of Mich. (I think). I just googled it.

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2010, 10:17:00 PM »
That's really helpful, Ernest, if it works.  I worry that I might put something into a sealed container or clothes bag after it already has moths or larvae in it.  If I can kill anything that's in there by freezing it for a few days first, then that solves that problem.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2010, 10:21:00 PM »
I use my broken cedar arrows as a repellant-seems to work OK.

Offline Mark Baker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2010, 10:30:00 PM »
I've read the same thing as Earnest.  I have one coat that suffered some moth larvae damage, and I'm sure it came "with the coat".  All my wool is stored in a cold shed.....real cold this time of year, and in tupperware type containers.
My head is full of wanderlust, my quiver's full of hope.  I've got the urge to walk the prairie and chase the antelope! - Nimrod Neurosis

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©